Kentucky Kingdom: To Go or Not To Go... Thoughts?

Hello Everybody! :)

Now, I know there is already a Kentucky Kingdom thread but this one is a little different...

I live in Kentucky (near Ashland) about equal distance to Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom, and I have never been to Kentucky Kingdom. A few friends of mine and I are trying to decide if it would be worth going to Kentucky Kingdom once or twice this year (2016).

I have sifted through the KK website and the thread for KK here on KIC, but I still can't makeup my mind. Traditionally in out group of four I am the trip planner / organizer. We have our usual trips Kings Island regularly, Disney, Cedar Point and some years we throw an extra trip in the mix, normally short trips.

I am interested to hear what everyone thinks about the park and if it is worth a visit, so please share your thoughts and feelings  :D

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!!! :D

• Like 2

I plan on making a trip to KK this summer. We will see if it actually happens though. Lightning Run, Thunder Run, and the new RMC Storm Chaser are all on my need to ride list. Since I wont be taking massive road trips like I did this past summer I think I should be able to make it down to KK. 

• Like 5

That would be a big YES to go.  The park needs all the support it can get.  I've bought a pass last year and a pass again this year.  Can't wait to ride the RMC coaster this year and many re-rides on the air time machine Lightening Run.  Thunder Run is very good as well.  I went around 6 times last year and had a blast every time.

• Like 7

Absolutely.

They have a coaster that is currently in my top 5 steel.

They have a coaster that is currently in my top 5 wood.

They have a coaster under construction that looks like a heckuva great ride, and for me personally is THE new ride for 2016 that I'm most looking forward to.

Add to that a great waterpark, and you've got a place that's absolutely worth a couple of visits. For me, I got my season pass when they were $60. At that price, it's definitely a no-brainer.

• Like 9

Of course you can predict what I will say.  But let me add this caveat:  If you are expecting a KI type experience, you will be let down.  The coasters are great, the flats are great and there is a nice waterpark.  It is not currently an iconic park.

I would suggest getting a season pass because they are still ~$60.00.

A wise man told me to go in 2015, and I am in his debt for it.  I give the same advice.

• Like 5

All I'll say is that you wont regret going, and in fact, you'll be glad you did.

The roller coasters at that park are some of the best I've ever been on.

Just go next year it will pack a 1-2-3 punch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Next year it will pack a 1-2-3 punch?..... Are you sure you don't mean THIS year with Thunder, Lightning, and Storm?

• Like 3

Why not go? I went last year and while it certainly wasn't a favorite park or days spent in a park, I'm glad I went. In the very least, it was a new experience. I think those of us that have been to KK have a wide variety of thoughts and opinions based on our experience during our visit. :)

I would reccommend managing expectations. Don't go in expecting a KI or CP park experience. It isn't a big park but lines for the roller coaster, especially T3, take longer than expected.Go and have fun with your friends.

If you go on Friday/Saturday and don't spend the whole day there, you can extend your Louisville stay by heading to the Kentucky Science Center. They are open until 9p with discounted admission after 5p.

• Like 6

Louisville also has a dandy zoo!

The Louisville Zoo was our senior class trip.  No lie.  Our senior trip was for 4 hours a little over a hour away from home.

At least you got to do something fun. My senior class trip was an educational tour of the Ohio Statehouse. Seriously. It was part of U.S. Government class, and some aspects of the tour appeared on our next test.

• Like 5

"What's a senior tour?".

Not anything our school system did in my day. "Insurance problems." That and the system bussed student athletes and the band to games. Certainly NOT to school. Or on long trips. There were 400+ in my senior class. Two busses.

A decade or so after I graduated, they finally started daily student transport.

• Like 4

My high school, which no longer exists after the merge, had no buses either.  It was "in town" so they felt there was no need.  A private company would bus the kids if the parents wanted to pay.  I'd walk to a friends house, or my grandmother's house and wait to be picked by Mom or Dad after work.

But back to topic:  Maybe I'll contact someone at the merged system at transporting some students to the education days !   ; )                 

• Like 4

I can't go this year for several reasons, but I SO wish I could. I would love to try out Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, and Thunder Run. I was just watching POVs of the latter yesterday and they look amazing. Fingers crossed the park will still be there in 2017!

• Like 4

Steph88, I can say that Thunder Run really packs a wallup.  The RMC retracking really improved it (from the time I rode in 2008, when the former operator barely seemed to care) .  Lightning Run is a great coaster and packs a wallup that is very surprising for such a small coaster.  Even T3 is fun--my first Vekoma SLC, and I just wanted to say I had tried it.  It's reridable and the only rough spot is the turn around to the station.

• Like 4