Project 2017?

Oldschool75

So, if people are expecting a major ride for the 45th anniversary, I have to ask, what did we get for the 40th?

I have no insider knowledge, just encouraging people to not get too hyped yet. Wouldn't want to build up too much anticipointment.

We got Diamondback for our 39th anniversary. Mr.Kinzel the former CEO of CF didn't care about anniversaries just big rides. He just wanted the best rides for his park, while admirable kinda hurt some other parks. Ouimet is really who we are looking at here and he has made CP have 2 coasters in 4 years. I can very much see this going either way. I think it would make sense for a big ride to come and wait for 5 years for a 50th anniversary coaster. I think it has to be a coaster or a dark ride of some sort. There is no other reason to be showing blue prints this early.

• Like 3

When Rob comes in and there are plans on the table, that means they are just about ready for construction. 5 yr plan from my understanding usually refers to bigger projects. Stuff that costs a lot. Lol Going by history, the word is mum until plans are ready to be actioned. I would make a wager that we will be seeing some construction during the season. Hence the tease. Be prepared for teases all season long.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 13

Well this will make Coasterstock a lot more fun then I already thought. But the question still remains "Why so soon". Mr. Scheid said it would take 3 years to make the Banshee investment back. This will be BIG which will make it probable 20 million plus. I don't think KI is that worried about Kentucky Kingdom to rush into something. Just curious as to what and why.

• Like 4

Well this will make Coasterstock a lot more fun then I already thought. But the question still remains "Why so soon". Mr. Scheid said it would take 3 years to make the Banshee investment back. This will be BIG which will make it probable 20 million plus. I don't think KI is that worried about Kentucky Kingdom to rush into something. Just curious as to what and why.

See below

http://m.daytondailynews.com/news/business/kings-island-owner-reports-record-revenues/nkD8P/

http://m.journal-news.com/news/news/strong-results-at-kings-island-parent-could-make-2/npGwJ/

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 3

So, if people are expecting a major ride for the 45th anniversary, I have to ask, what did we get for the 40th?

I have no insider knowledge, just encouraging people to not get too hyped yet. Wouldn't want to build up too much anticipointment.

We got Diamondback for our 39th anniversary....

Huh?

Confused Terp

• Like 2

We got Diamondback for our 39th anniversary....

Huh?

Confused Terp

I was letting him know what we got for that year. That Diamondback was essentially the 40th anniversary coaster that was 1 year ahead because the former CEO didn't care about anniversaries. 

Huh again!

2009 - 1972 = 37

37th anniversary.

NOT 39.

That reminds me...

People tend to either forget or not realize that the first year of something begins on year 0 and ends on year 1. Like the Super Bowl this year, people keep saying "it's the 50th anniversary"...well, not exactly. It's the 50th Super Bowl, yes, but it's really the 49th anniversary of the first Super Bowl, if you're talking in terms of "anniversaries".

Just semantics, but people often use the word "anniversary" incorrectly.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 10

...Such as in the year 2000, when the real start of the new millennium came in 2001 (I think?  :wacko:) Well, I don't care, both years were mostly awesome!  

A millennium is any arbitrary period of 1,000 years. So 2000 started a new millennium. 2001 also started a new millennium. Tomorrow will also start a new millennium. Consider it a fiscal millennium, if you will. :)

• Like 5

...Such as in the year 2000, when the real start of the new millennium came in 2001 (I think?  :wacko:) Well, I don't care, both years were mostly awesome!  

A millennium is any arbitrary period of 1,000 years. So 2000 started a new millennium. 2001 also started a new millennium. Tomorrow will also start a new millennium. Consider it a fiscal millennium, if you will. :)

Ah, that makes sense! So, both sides were technically right, I suppose.  :D

• Like 1

So people have been guessing that whatever the blueprints are for is a giga coaster. I personally would love one but do you think we are off with our guess. Most people think we need a modern woodie, but the CF GCI contract is up. Is it possible CF does a one off with GCI or do they wait and eventually start working with RMC? 

Also I don't think this "coaster" will be going in Rivertown. I think it is much more likely for it to be in the area behind Banshee. I could see them move or remove Invertigo and have it shoot across the fence behind The Bat and behind Banshee. Or maybe with the eventual removal of DA it goes back there as an X-base expansion. I don't think removing the woods where the old WWC que was would be a good idea. KI really needs to save some of the trees around the park instead of tearing everything down.

• Like 4

The GCI contract was up after Gold Striker in 2013. Now that being said GCI has done some work with KI on The Beast so a GCI is not impossible.

Really I guess what I was asking is "are we assuming its a giga?" and "where is it going?". There are tons of possibilities but we all seemed to be focused on one ride type and one location. There is no way a giga goes by Diamondback and Beast. They are going to make sure you can't see The Beast from the park. 

So what would you want it to be and where?

I wan't a giga so that way I don't have to drive 4 hours to get on one. I think our woodies are still great and we can wait for some more innovation before hopping on the trend of RMC woodies.

• Like 1

The contract was more you build us 3 coasters, I didn't say they couldn't work with them. Didn't Beast get retracked or touched up in 2014? The year after Goldstriker debuted. Another contract that supposedly ran out was B&M which was 3 coasters 3 years starting with Gatekeeper. Yet CP still just got Valravn even after the contract was up.

More or less contracts are just "you will build us X many rides in Y amount of years". GCI has also been talked about in helping Mean Streak instead of RMC'ing it. I'm just saying I don't think CF will do a one off with any company(GCI,RMC,B&M).

• Like 1

So people have been guessing that whatever the blueprints are for is a giga coaster. I personally would love one but do you think we are off with our guess. Most people think we need a modern woodie, but the CF GCI contract is up. Is it possible CF does a one off with GCI or do they wait and eventually start working with RMC? 

Also I don't think this "coaster" will be going in Rivertown. I think it is much more likely for it to be in the area behind Banshee. I could see them move or remove Invertigo and have it shoot across the fence behind The Bat and behind Banshee. Or maybe with the eventual removal of DA it goes back there as an X-base expansion. I don't think removing the woods where the old WWC que was would be a good idea. KI really needs to save some of the trees around the park instead of tearing everything down.

I could see them removing or relocating Invertigo and maybe taking out Timberwolf(?) and building in that area.  That could potentially fit the current trend of front entrance-crossing rides (Fury, Gatekeeper).  This would drastically change the skyline of the park, which would be a nice change.

Is Timberwolf used enough for it to be worth keeping?

Actually, that seems like too tight of a squeeze for a giga, and Congo Falls would be in the way as well.  Maybe behind Banshee and use the old path that led to SOB?

• Like 4

Ouimet has said that KI will not be receiving a "coaster entrance". He thinks that the entrance is grandiose enough with the tower and fountains. 

As for Timberwolf I can't think of anything being held there, that entire area is pretty movable imo. The land behind Banshee is big enough for a decent sized coaster, but I don't think its big enough for a B&M coaster. I wouldn't put a wing coaster in that area now that its all cleared out. I prefer the Thunderbird over Gatekeeper in the way you actually feel like the theme instead of just being to the sides of the track.

With The Bat and Banshee being so close back there do you think they try to squeeze something underneath/ in between them?

• Like 6

The contract was more you build us 3 coasters, I didn't say they couldn't work with them. Didn't Beast get retracked or touched up in 2014? The year after Goldstriker debuted. Another contract that supposedly ran out was B&M which was 3 coasters 3 years starting with Gatekeeper. Yet CP still just got Valravn even after the contract was up.

More or less contracts are just "you will build us X many rides in Y amount of years". GCI has also been talked about in helping Mean Streak instead of RMC'ing it. I'm just saying I don't think CF will do a one off with any company(GCI,RMC,B&M).

Mean Streak had a "restoration" or retrack by GCI, but that isn't driving turnstyles
  • Like 5

I'm not sold on the speculation that the blueprints and Rob Decker's recent visit to Kings Island warrants that a new coaster is imminent for the park. Furthermore, I'm not convinced that when we do get a new coaster, that it will go over in the area where the queue line for White Water Canyon was previously, or in the area where the funnel cake stand was previously as well. Obviously time will only tell but for the moment I'm not buying into it.

Rob Decker is the Corporate Vice President of Planning and Design for Cedar Fair so I'm sure he's involved in any new attraction for any of Cedar Fair's 14 properties, be it WindSeeker, Tropical Plunge, Woodstock Gliders, you name it, he's probably involved in some fashion. Just because a picture of Rob Decker and blueprints are posted on social media does not mean, in my opinion, that we are getting a roller coaster. It could be some other type of attraction. The park can always use more flat rides and more rides that cater to those who don't like roller coasters or who are scared of them.

Just my two cents. Agree to Disagree.

• Like 16

I was waiting for someone to say it!

This is not an implication of any upcoming attraction to Kings Island in 2017. Additionally, I am not disclosing any rumors I may or may not have heard, whether credible or not. This is a disclaimer.

Now I feel like Terpy!

Had to...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

When I was looking at the webcam this afternoon before my body decided to take a five hour nap(my body thinks 5:45 is the perfect time to go to sleep) I thought I saw a little bit of land clearing and tree removal where the old WWC Pathway (used?) to be in the middle of that woods. It may just be my eyes playing with me though I will see tomorrow then!

I think it's just a little bit too soon to be speculating a giga rollercoaster or any rollercoaster. However if KI plays their cards right they might have enough room in the woods by WWC to build a sizable rollercoaster or at least the area for the station. I don't know though. Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know. I'm excited for the new members on this site who didn't experience the absolute insanity (in a good way) of Banshees speculation, announcement and construction and might be able to experience it soon.

Whatever comes of this I cannot wait to see what happens to KI for 2017!

• Like 11