Project 2017?

Oldschool75

I think some in this thread forget that a blue print can be for anything. 

As I seem to remember Mr. Decker is from the Cincinnati area originally so it's probably not uncommon for him to be at the park for this or that. 

Blue Prints don't necessarily mean a certain type of ride is coming. The blue prints could be over the Rivertown changes such as the Funnel Cake Stand, WWC entrance, the new soccer challenge, etc.  Blue prints can be just erosion changes that need to be made, pathways changing, general buildings, deconstruction, flat ride, etc. 

Not everything is a massive clue to the next big coaster. 

• Like 14

Mr. Decker could be showing up with blueprints for any reason, yes. Taking a picture of him and sharing it on social media is telling, though. Its possible they're just trolling their fans, and the blueprints were for something entirely mundane, but I would be surprised if that was all it was.

Although, at this point of the offseason I'd be a little excited about getting to see plans for something entirely mundane...

• Like 16

Mr. Decker could be showing up with blueprints for any reason, yes. Taking a picture of him and sharing it on social media is telling, though. Its possible they're just trolling their fans, and the blueprints were for something entirely mundane, but I would be surprised if that was all it was.

Although, at this point of the offseason I'd be a little excited about getting to see plans for something entirely mundane...

I honestly hope they are just trolling....I've seen way to many folks believing that these blue prints are for the 2017 Giga that's going to be placed in Rivertown. It absolutely is according to many folks on social media. Speculation is quite fun, but talking as if it's 100% fact without anything other than a picture of Mr. Decker with blue prints as fact is silly. 

I'd love to see plans for the improvements in Rivertown for sure.

• Like 7

It's been said in this thread that people don't think there will be a giga for Rivertown. You got to remember Chugh43, there are a lot of knowledgeable people when it comes to this site, so them not speculating "2017 Giga that's going to be placed in Rvertown." is telling.

Sorry if you had your hopes up.

You apparently didn't read my post thoroughly. I stated that I've seen a lot of it on Social Media not KIC stating for a fact that the 2017 giga that's going to be placed in Rivertown.

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site, in fact I know several of them personally. I've been around this site and the Kings Island community for quite some time to know who is more in the know and who isn't as well as who in the community in general has the most accurate information. 

Also, can you clarify your comment "sorry if you had your hopes up"?  

• Like 4

It's been said in this thread that people don't think there will be a giga for Rivertown. You got to remember Chugh43, there are a lot of knowledgeable people when it comes to this site, so them not speculating "2017 Giga that's going to be placed in Rvertown." is telling.

Sorry if you had your hopes up.

There is 1 knowledgeable person on this site that knows 100% what is going on, and he's not saying a word......yet. Until then; it's all speculation.  Have FUN.

chugh43

Sorry for double post....just saw this

Well you know a 200' steel coaster, a sports bar, a big tan box, etc. screams 19th century town on the Ohio River too!  :D

Excuse me sir ,that would be 230'    :P

• Like 8

If Shoot the Rapids was being relocated, It would go to a smaller market park like Michigan's Adventure or Dorney Park. For Cedar Point sake, I would want a water ride trade. Trade Shoot the Rapids to Michigan's Adventure for whatever the name of their water ride is to Cedar Point.

• Like 3

I would love a new roller coaster as much as the next guy (or gal) but KI really just needs to update everything. Go a year or two without adding anything but just repainting everything and perhaps restoring each section of the park to its former (themed) glory. I know this would take a while and cost a lot, but the park desperately needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

I still maintain a collection of flat rides would be a wonderful install at KI.  There are ample opportunities to add them to.  The former Salt Water Circus site (behind the Eiffel Tower and International Showplace Theater), the old Flight Commander site, next to Flight of Fear at X-Base, and along the path across from the Rivertown restrooms.  Lots of room that could help balance the ride selection.  

There are some fun and thrilling flat rides that I have been on, that KI is sorely lacking.  A ride like Tilt A Whirl, while a carnival staple, would be a nice, fun addition.  And if only they could find a Whip ride to relocate to Kings Island.  The Whip at Dorney Park is an amazing creation!  I didn`t particularly care for the one at Hersheypark or Kennywood.  

While flat rides are not high capacity rides, if two or three of them were added, it could increase the overall park capacity.

• Like 15

I imagine whatever is going on with the moving of WWC entrance and exit has to do with the big brown box. Which makes me think that we're gonna see a revamp of ole River Town. Something ala Banshee plaza / Action Zone revamp. Although personally I'd like to see some Coney Mall refurb.

Hmm that actually makes a lot of sense. It would certainly seem like they wouldn't move the entrance just to make the walk to the station slightly shorter, or rearrange things just for the sake of rearranging them. Perhaps there are other motives indeed...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Rarely would a business with a duty to its shareholders do something just for the sake of doing it. 

I have no clue what the short or long term plan is but I have no doubt whatsoever that there is one that this choice factors into.

• Like 3

I imagine whatever is going on with the moving of WWC entrance and exit has to do with the big brown box. Which makes me think that we're gonna see a revamp of ole River Town. Something ala Banshee plaza / Action Zone revamp. Although personally I'd like to see some Coney Mall refurb.

Hmm that actually makes a lot of sense. It would certainly seem like they wouldn't move the entrance just to make the walk to the station slightly shorter, or rearrange things just for the sake of rearranging them. Perhaps there are other motives indeed...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

But they would to install a game that could generate $$$$. Just think  Soccer game $$ right next to the family dryer $$= $$$$

• Like 2

I would not look for a new roller coaster for 2017.  Why?  Diamondback was installed in 2009.  Banshee was installed in 2014.  If that trend continues, I would look for 2019 to be the year of the next major coaster install (with only minimal improvements in 2018 as they prepare for 2019).  But that is just a trend, and history doesn`t always repeat.

• Like 6

I think at this point it's not IF Kings Island will get a B&M gigacoaster but a matter of WHEN.

B&M megacoasters are the safest big-ticket coaster investment going right now.  No other coaster type can offer the combination of things that B&M megacoasters do.  Comfortable ride.  Easy to access trains (notice how you don't have step over any part of the train to access the seats).  Super high capacity.  High reliability and uptime.  Low maintenance costs.  High repeat ridership.

Think about it another way.  Intimidator 305 and Skyrush are all the rage with many enthusiasts.  Parks have had the opportunity to see the effect those two coasters had on their respective parks, and what was the result?  Cedar Fair went to B&M for Leviathan and Fury 325.  Intamin has built exactly 5 coasters in the US/Canada since 2008, and none since Skyrush opened in 2012.  B&M during that same time has built 5 megacoasters in the US/Canada, with a sixth on the way when Mako opens.  I305 and Skyrush were simply more than the parks bargained for.  The same speed and non-stop intensity that many enthusiasts love are the same things that keeps the lines for those coasters short most days.  For a lot of the general public both are ride-once-and-that's-it coasters because it's too much for them.  On top of that you get to deal with the other Intamin-related fun stuff.  There are reasons why you haven't seen an Intamin ride built in the US recently. 

SeaWorld Orlando's choice of Mako was really telling to me.  They found themselves in an unenviable position - in between the "rock" of new Disney and Universal attractions grabbing most Orlando attention and the "hard place" of Blackfish and the fallout from that debacle.  In the midst of all that, they decided to build a coaster that likely will cost at least $25 million.  They had the opportunity to build just about any coaster of their choice - an Intamin or Mack megacoaster, an RMC, etc. and they went with a B&M megacoaster.  Let that settle in.

Despite what many enthusiasts think, B&M megacoasters are transformative rides at the parks that build them.  There's no way that Cedar Fair builds Leviathan and Fury 325 unless Behemoth and Intimidator were incredibly worthwhile investments AND popular with the general public.  Diamondback is really popular.  B&M gigacoasters have gone over amazingly well at the parks that have installed them.  It's just a matter of time as far as I'm concerned.   

• Like 18

For Sea World, it helps that their new CEO, Joel Manby, is the former CEO of Herschend.  I am sure he had some contact with B&M when they installed Wild Eagle at their joint venture property with Dolly Parton.

I have yet to ride Fury 325, but Leviathon was a fun ride.  And a vastly different ride experience than Behemoth.  I would enjoy the ride at KI if they went with a B&M that was 300+ feet high.  However, that would rival the height of the park`s Eiffel Tower.  I don`t know how I feel about that.

• Like 1