Project 2017?

Oldschool75

I think he's just baiting us. It's probably electrical, plumbing, or landscaping. The location, being under Diamondback's feet, isn't really useful for a ride, food stand, game, or even really a path.

And as it's labeled new for 2016, pointless to speculate in a 2017 thread :)

Fully agree! There is some room there but I don't see anything going there but a fence. Although I would consider that area a low zone and for guest safety/insurance purposes I'd want to keep guests out from under the helix. 

• Like 2

If memory serves me well, I do believe that footer is one of the ones that were repaired not too long after DB opened.

Also to note, this is just left of the old crypt entrance. And notice the cut in the curb, and clearing behind it. This will be a new path.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

And as it's labeled new for 2016, pointless to speculate in a 2017 thread :)

Wait a minute. What if the only thing "#NewFor2016" is the construction itself, and we have to wait until 2017 for the end result of that construction?

I think I just blew my own mind. :P

• Like 4

Cedar Fair is self-insured...

Safety is paramount.

Self insured or not....there is a risk of having guests in that area that I wouldn't think would be the best to take.

If memory serves me well, I do believe that footer is one of the ones that were repaired not too long after DB opened.

Also to note, this is just left of the old crypt entrance. And notice the cut in the curb, and clearing behind it. This will be a new path.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

Nope...the footer you are speaking of was back by the hammerhead. 

• Like 1

The location in the picture is at the juncture of the blacktop leading from the train and the start of the pavers leading back to The Beast.  This area was fenced off last year, there was a bench that would be just off the picture and a light post/sign that would either just be off the picture or on the left edge. There was (is?) also a photo booth that would be off to the right of the picture, plus a decent amount of floral that was removed.  This is likely a terrible place for a path due to the interaction with Diamondback.  Sure the track itself is well above you, but why take the chance that somebody does something stupid?  Its near its low point, it would almost be inviting danger, and potential for liability in a court of law.  I'm sure there are ways to protect against that, if this is indeed the best spot for a path of some sorts, but I'd be shocked. 

My best guess, is that this is for one of two things, either the photo booth in that area was profitable enough that the WWC path relocation forced a movement of this booth and it was worth the money to find a spot in the same area.  It could also be a spot or the start of work for the family dryer leaving WWC, I'm sure that thing was highly profitable.  My other guess, is that they are replacing the old lightpost/signage at that junction with a new video board map, with time, information station that they have installed at other locations in the park.

• Like 2

I think the dryer is possible.. however..

I don't understand why people are so concerned about Diamondback passing over here; where the partial net is in place. Diamondback opened with The Crypt entrance being right under the lowest point of the slope. No net there and I haven't heard of any problems while The Crypt was operating. The helix itself is mostly un-netted and if you were to drop something during the first half of the helix, especially if you're on the left side of the train, you're going to probably hit someone.. and thus far, I have not ever heard of anyone getting hit with things there either.

That's just how I see it. I don't think the safety rules anything out.. if it is suddenly decided it actually is too unsafe for loose articles, more net can be installed, I presume. 

• Like 1

This new path makes me think it's just a new path to get into Madame Fatele's Cavern of Terror.. and in the distant future, a prettier entrance to get into a different ride rather than Diamondback's track dipping in view

Always figured it would not be that expensive to build a second floor which would allow the building to contain two haunted houses.  Lots of companies specialize in adding Mezzanines to existing buildings.  Even easier and likely much cheaper then building a new building.  The biggest problem I always figured would possibly be sound issues.  Pathways would not be a huge problem.  Just use the existing entrance for easy access to the second floor.  Entrance to the first floor would be done through a pathway next to The Beast which largely already exists and would lead to existing doors.  This would also remove the need for stairs to access the haunted house.

I am Surprised no one has considered a revamp of the action theater like what is happening at Carowinds, or Great America.  Although I would prefer it to be similar to the Plants Vs. Zombies over what I have heard about the Mass Effect show which Great America is getting.  It just feels like Plants Vs Zombies since it is interactive would be a lot more fun to go do several times.

• Like 1

It's not just the lack of netting, look at the space between footers, tripping hazard I would presume. 

You underestimate being hit by something from a coaster. When I worked at Diamondback I got hit by a flip flop. Yes....a flip flop. I had a nice flip flop size welt on my back for a few days. 

• Like 3

It's not just the lack of netting, look at the space between footers, tripping hazard I would presume. 

You underestimate being hit by something from a coaster. When I worked at Diamondback I got hit by a flip flop. Yes....a flip flop. I had a nice flip flop size welt on my back for a few days. 

I didn't mean that getting hit wouldn't be a bad thing, or that it wouldn't hurt. I only meant I haven't heard of it being a problem.. meaning a lack of it happening.. (enough to need something to catch falling items) 

I hope it was at least.. a clean-ish flip flop :o

• Like 1

I thought it was the one by the photo spot under the MCBR

chugh43 is correct.  The "problem" footing from opening year was just after the third hill on the way back down.  I have a video of it...but I'm not posting that one.  :)

That said, I suppose it's possible that a separate trouble spot existed later.  Every coaster has one.  As an example, Tennessee Tornado has a footing just over the lift that has to be replaced pretty much every year, and there doesn't seem to be any convenient way to fix the problem long-term.  It's just a fact of life and nothing to worry about.

• Like 3

Cedar Fair is self-insured...

Safety is paramount.

And this completes my daily objective of learning at least 1 new thing every day. I can't tell you why that's interesting to me, but it is and I did not know that. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Oktoberfest is such a cool theme, and is so underutilized by the park. If only it wasn't so landlocked. I know it's just a crazy hope given how low area theming is on the totem pole, but I would retheme all of the Action Zone into Oktoberfest given that it's really just "generic amusement park."

• Like 4

If they used some space wisely like relocating the entrance of Adventure Express more nearer to its station possibly, they could probably fit in a couple of flat rides. Oktoberfest does need some updates and TLC. The Biergarten bar and repaving of the walkway in 2014 are the only things I can think of that they have done to that area in the past 5 years.

Action Zone is pretty much a generic amusement park area now after removing the tacky themes of former Paramount importance in 2014.

You cannot really use history as a guide of what a Major Cedar Fair park will be getting. Cedar Point for example had a 5 year break in rollercoaster construction from 2007-2012 but only had two year break from Gatekeeper to Valravn. Kings Island is sort of following the last cycle after Diamondback a little bit but it is still out of order. 2010/2015 Planet Snoopy Expansions but it gets out of order with 2011 being Coney Mall improvements and 2016 being new Soak City slides. So that cycle is void too. And you have to think if we had a five year plan, with Dick Kinzel last being CEO in 2011 being replaced in January 2012 by Matt Ouimet this year would be the last year of that 5 year plan so next year could be quite different.

I think whatever the park has in store for 2017, it is going to be an interesting one whatever it is.

• Like 5

I think whatever the park has in store for 2017, it is going to be an interesting one whatever it is.

If it wasn't interesting, that would be pretty boring...so I think you think correctly.

Just pointing out obvious obviousnesses to be obviously annoying.  :)

• Like 7

^ That made me chuckle, thanks for the laugh!  :)

I just thought of something, will Dinosaurs Alive! be around for 2017?

I was hoping you'd take it that way.  :)

I haven't heard about the dinos going extinct...again...so I hope they will be.  It's a nice walk in the woods for those of us Jurassic Park fans.

• Like 3