Project 2017?

Oldschool75

I wouldn't cross the street to ride Voyage.

I'd gladly drive cross country in a blinding storm to ride Beast at night.

Would you cross the street to ride Rampage? I would and will this year!

Except that Voyage does have trims now. The MCBR brings you to a full stop.

I rode early 2015 and it didnt use the MCBR.

They seem to flip back and forth whether it is let go at full speed, if it's trimmed, or if it gets a full stop.

I havent figured out what warrants a full stop, but unless a worker on the ride or the park releases a statement, I am skeptical to believe that the full stop at the MCBR is how the ride is intended to be experienced indefinitely.

I've ridden many times, and some visits it brakes, most visits it hasnt. Last year it didnt (for me)

The brakes were on full force in the MCBR during Media Day for Thunderbird. However, that was the only state of grace with the ride. I didn't enjoy the rest of the ride.

Not during TB media day. It was my first ride on Voyage that day, I noticed the MCBR when I went back later in the year. I was very disappointed.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

They were on full when I rode early on in the day.

• Like 4

While that would be really nice the only manufacturer to build a blitz coaster like that would be Mack with CF not working with Intamin. Unless B&M takes there new launch system and starts making some but I don't think KI would be building something like that 1st. 

I think that our next coaster won't feature many inversions unless we see an RMC woodie. The logical next coasters are either a modern woodie, in which there are many manufacturers, or a B&M of sorts, most likely a giga. These both utilize over banked turns and air time hill to add to the intensity. While there is nothing we NEED these are 2 coaster types that poeple have been wanting for awhile. 

I think our next coaster uses more over banked turns then inversions to build intensity. Not saying we don't see an inversion filled coaster just not likely imo.

• Like 3

The biggest gap in the coaster lineup is a giga.  Kings Island and Knotts are the only Cedar Fair parks with over 2 million visitors a year that don't have one.  Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds and Kings Dominion each have a giga.  At this point, it's expected for a major Cedar Fair park (Knotts is a bit of a different creature.  It is landlocked and has a nice niche in the same market as Disney, Universal and Magic Mountain.  Even with that kind of competition, they are the place in October.)  Kings Island consistently hitting 3.2 million visitors per year definitely warrants the investment required for a giga, even if it will only be 3 years after Banshee.

After that, I would love to see a blitz coaster, or even just a high thrill launched coaster.  I have my suspicions about the future of Flight of Fear.  I'm pretty sure they removed one of the cars from the trains after that smoke incident a couple years ago.  Because of this, I suspect the maintenance costs of the ride are going up.  At some point, the costs won't warrant keeping it.  They made changes to SOB and the Crypt before removing them because of safety and maintenance costs.  It seems once the park decides to make these kinds of changes, the ride doesn't seem to be long for this world.  If Flight of Fear goes before we get another launch coaster, the lack of a high thrill launch coaster would be the park's biggest gap.   

• Like 9

For the benefit of the noobs, the young, and the too emotional:

There is a five year plan. It is based on analysis, targeting, and finances.

Very little at Cedar Fair is done on whimsy and happenstance (unlike, say, sponsor influence at Brand S with Company S and the letters V and R).

Five year plan.

Terp, bordering on saying too much ( Hi, Señor H).

• Like 13

^ That is a good question.

I believe I said this earlier, I think since Matt Ouimet took over in 2012, 2017 would probably be the first year to be radically different since it would be more than the 5 years since the last 5 year plan under Kinzel in 2011. That is just my theory though, it could be radically different as Matt Ouimet could have had a say in 2011 so that would mean this year would be the first year of a 5 year plan from 2011 if Ouimet had a say. Again I do not know, just speculating.  :)

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure they removed one of the cars from the trains after that smoke incident a couple years ago.  Because of this, I suspect the maintenance costs of the ride are going up.

The last car was made unavailable to riders following the 2014 incident involving smoke coming from an electrical panel, but it wasn't removed from the trains. All rows were again available to riders for the 2015 season.

• Like 5

I believe I said this earlier, I think since Matt Ouimet took over in 2012, 2017 would probably be the first year to be radically different since it would be more than the 5 years since the last 5 year plan under Kinzel in 2011. That is just my theory though, it could be radically different as Matt Ouimet could have had a say in 2011 so that would mean this year would be the first year of a 5 year plan from 2011 if Ouimet had a say. Again I do not know, just speculating.  :)

Ouimet has from day 1 been in control.In Kinzel's book he said the 2013 coaster for CP was supposed to be another giga. Obviously there is nothing but his word, but I believe Kinzel would be crazy enough to do that. That being said some people think Fury 325 was supposed to be that coaster, but got moved to the "CP of the south" by Ouimet to fill a gap. I think Ouimet's approach to parks is to fill gaps before going outside the box. What really is going to show how Ouimet operates his parks is when it comes down to the next KI coaster and whether or not the next coaster for CP fills the flyer gap.

Five year plans get extended like Terp said but that doesn't mean things can't be evolved to fit new funds. IMO atleast obviously I'm just some enthusiast. 

• Like 4

Ouimet has from day 1 been in control.In Kinzel's book he said the 2013 coaster for CP was supposed to be another giga. Obviously there is nothing but his word, but I believe Kinzel would be crazy enough to do that. That being said some people think Fury 325 was supposed to be that coaster, but got moved to the "CP of the south" by Ouimet to fill a gap. I think Ouimet's approach to parks is to fill gaps before going outside the box. What really is going to show how Ouimet operates his parks is when it comes down to the next KI coaster and whether or not the next coaster for CP fills the flyer gap.

Five year plans get extended like Terp said but that doesn't mean things can't be evolved to fit new funds. IMO atleast obviously I'm just some enthusiast.

Each park to have every B&M coaster in B&M's lineup, before going outside the box track? Seems to be the trend. Also I agree CP would have been better off with a Fyler than a drop coaster, in my opinion.. Heck a decent woodie would also be a nice addition at the point.
  • Like 8

Each park to have every B&M coaster in B&M's lineup, before going outside the box track? Seems to be the trend. Also I agree CP would have been better off with a Fyler than a drop coaster, in my opinion.. Heck a decent woodie would also be a nice addition at the point.

I am hoping a woodie goes in place of Shoot The Rapids at this point, but lets get back on topic  :P  :P

• Like 4

RMC is developing a single rail coaster. Something like that might be interesting for a smooth fast ride. Also, what do you think about painting a steel coaster in the woods camouflage .. Tehehe... It would be a nightmare to paint and maintain the paint, but it would surely be a treat to ride at night or day if the lighting is just right.

• Like 5

Oh man. I'm sure painting techniques could figure out an easy way to do the initial paint... and then any repaints would be a nightmare. If you want it to blend in, just paint it a tree-like brown and be done. Maybe green if it rides higher typically. Brown supports.

Personally, I don't believe in the single rail concept. Least not the design that we've been shown thus far..

• Like 3

To me the single rail might be very expensive to repair. Also had another idea.... What if the track were polished to a mirror finish and clearcoated.... Again extremely expensive and not likely to ever happen, but the track would virtually disappear in the woods or even above the trees. That would be interesting to see the coasters "flying" through the air with invisible supports and track.

• Like 9

haha camo track... whats next computerized blindfold that put you in some "virtual reality" where there is no track to see, oh wait a sec.. :D

Anyways back on topic: New For 2016!

The Beast Family coaster ( new coaster) : a family version to The Beast that's more tamed (smooth) for grandparents to grand-kids. But with similarities to The Beast like being buried in the deep woods, shoot for length (longest coaster, maybe), something that has gets more thrilling as it goes so you never feel like you can let your guard down. 

Realistically I see a new thrilling flat ride going in. But what type and from whom?  

• Like 4