Project 2017?

Oldschool75

I found RVII to be kind of rough last summer. It had a great layout but after two rides the headache took away from the experience. I hadnt ate or drank much that day and I also had to drive two hours for the first time (i had my temps) so i was tired. I personally dont like GG because their rides get to rough too fast. I fell in love with GCI at SFMM in 2012. The seats are so comfortable and the pacing is fantastic.

• Like 3

I have a rough time with Ravine Flyer II also. I think it's beautiful to look at, it's super unique, and the few times I've been on it were really fun. But after a certain part of the course I feel like I'm going to break my neck. :/  The first time I rode it, it wasn't so bad, but every time since has been rough. It's gotten to the point where I'm wary of going on it at all. Then again, I'm a total wimp with that kind of stuff.

I wanted to make it my last ride of the day my last trip, then I noticed a ton of black widow spiders and other various spiders building their webs on the supports. Noooope. :P

• Like 1

So out of control the park is now using the mid-course brake. For guest comfort.

Sound familiar?

Yeah, sounds like spin for "We are neutering the ride to reduce maintenance costs, since the other idea didnt work out as planned".

Im definitely looking forward to riding RF II this summer for the first time, because I have heard a ton of really good reviews.

• Like 5

So out of control the park is now using the mid-course brake. For guest comfort.

Sound familiar?

Yeah, sounds like spin for "We are neutering the ride to reduce maintenance costs, since the other idea didnt work out as planned".

Im definitely looking forward to riding RF II this summer for the first time, because I have heard a ton of really good reviews.

I never said it was sustainable!  :D

Somehow Raven and Legend escape typical CCI and GG troubles.

• Like 2

Sound familiar?

I never said it was sustainable! :D

Actually, they don't.

Each has cost a small fortune to maintain.

Raven loves to develop potholes and didn't I read something about a lot of redo on Legend this year?

I wonder why that could be.

Hmmmm.

• Like 2

^ Case in point: Have you seen what this year's renovations have done to Legend's last turn? It's flat now. And the "four corners of death" are fairly flat and much more banked now.

12376660_10153595288569538_8333618784647

Photo: Holiday World's Facebook page.

But don't look at that--there's a double-down to be enjoyed! Or something!

I could have been excited about Legend being updated, but that's not what's happening here. This is reduction in maintenance cost while name-dropping Will's name and saying things like "Will always wanted to do something like this to Legend" to keep people at bay.

I could say more, but I shouldn't.

Diversions, indeed. The CCI fan in me and the Will Koch fan in me are both pretty tweaked.

• Like 8

I wrote out a 5 Star, Gold Medal quality rant about what I saw in that photo, but I then realized that this whole thing just isnt worth it to me anymore.  It seems that its all just a game now of "do anything to save money and pay some PR ***** to spin it to make it sound like its something we are all going to LOVE".  Im not stupid, I know its always been that way, but its just becoming so much more prevalent and blatantly obvious now, to where they really dont even try to hide it (at least thats how I see it).  All I can say, is this is why I am so pro-RMC.  I WANT a roller coaster that is going to make me breathless and totally out of sorts when I return to the station, and it seems that those are the only ones I dont have to be in constant fear of some bean-counter coming in and trying to change it to make it do less of what a roller coaster is supposed to do!  It seems that every single hobby I enjoy, and every group/community is changing in ways that just honestly make me sad.

• Like 6

Sound familiar?

I never said it was sustainable! :D

Actually, they don't.

Each has cost a small fortune to maintain.

Raven loves to develop potholes and didn't I read something about a lot of redo on Legend this year?

I wonder why that could be.

Hmmmm.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm sad to see Legend is being neutered if that truly is the case. The most interesting part is long turn to the right which is banked to the left. I hope that part remains the same.

• Like 1

Cables snapping is certainly not something a park would want their ride to have happen to it. This sort of issue could scare the GP away thinking that the park (or ride) isn't safe. Also, the cables aren't the only issue the ride has. It seems as if one side of the ride is broken most of the time causing longer lines.

• Like 3

Wow. I had no idea they were doing THAT to the ending two turns.. I don't have the regret for missing Holiday World this year now. I thought they were making Legend more intense and I was wanting to ride.. at first.

Sparky. That's the exact reason I absolutely love Voyage. One of the few coasters that leave me feeling out of breath and feeling like I endured something incredible.. without having to inflict pain in me. I don't care if certain people despise it. I thnk thrir conclusion of the ride is wrongbut I still like it. I really wish they wouldnt make the MCBR permanent, and I havent seen proof that it is yet. (2015 I've ridden without it trimmed, but a POV from late 2015 was trimmed so maybe Im wrong.) But even if it does come full stop.. it picks up enough speed at the end that you don't really notice anymore.. but it's as annoying as KI's FOF full stop, and people still love that ride.

And yeah, is it just me or is there veey often annoying problems with flat rides lately? Classics are classics because they work? Haha

• Like 7

Wooden coasters today work best when they're around 100' tall or under.  If you take a look at the list of wooden coasters that are over 100' tall, notice how many of them are either (1) no longer operating in their original condition, (2) had to be substantially modified in some way, or (3) just flat out rough.  If Kings Island ever does decide to build another "true" wooden coaster I really hope that they keep it 100' tall or less so that it's manageable to maintain.  Wooden coasters are just much more difficult to keep running well, and I can count on one hand the wooden coasters I've ridden that consistently ride well:

• Phoenix
  • Lightning Racer
  • Prowler
  • American Thunder
  • Rebel Yell

The smaller Gravity Group coasters ride well (Wooden Warrior and Roar-O-Saurus), but the others - including Ravine Flyer II - most definitely do not.  The GCI coasters on the whole age better than the others, but that really depends on who's maintaining them.  Most of the CCIs have ranged anywhere from tolerable to just flat out rough.  It's time consuming and costly to maintain wooden coasters with time and that's why you're seeing the ones being built now on the smaller (and less expensive) side.  That's fine by me, because a lot of the newer, smaller wooden coasters are really good.  Wooden Warrior, Roar-O-Saurus and White Lightning in Florida are all super fun and accessible to all kinds of riders.  Each would be a welcome addition to KI's lineup.   

• Like 11

Right on, Ive been saying that for months.  Drop something in at KI like Prowler or Renegade, and they will have a sure winner from both the GP and enthusiast points of view.  Lets figure this, Banshee cost $24M, Fury cost approx. $30M..... Prowler came in at $8M in 2009, so lets make that $11M today.  For less than the cost of a Banshee, or a Fury, KI could install a hot GCI AND a really good flat.  Im all for that!

• Like 8

Wooden coasters today work best when they're around 100' tall or under.  If you take a look at the list of wooden coasters that are over 100' tall, notice how many of them are either (1) no longer operating in their original condition, (2) had to be substantially modified in some way, or (3) just flat out rough.  If Kings Island ever does decide to build another "true" wooden coaster I really hope that they keep it 100' tall or less so that it's manageable to maintain.  Wooden coasters are just much more difficult to keep running well, and I can count on one hand the wooden coasters I've ridden that consistently ride well:

• Phoenix
  • Lightning Racer
  • Prowler
  • American Thunder
  • Rebel Yell

The smaller Gravity Group coasters ride well (Wooden Warrior and Roar-O-Saurus), but the others - including Ravine Flyer II - most definitely do not.  The GCI coasters on the whole age better than the others, but that really depends on who's maintaining them.  Most of the CCIs have ranged anywhere from tolerable to just flat out rough.  It's time consuming and costly to maintain wooden coasters with time and that's why you're seeing the ones being built now on the smaller (and less expensive) side.  That's fine by me, because a lot of the newer, smaller wooden coasters are really good.  Wooden Warrior, Roar-O-Saurus and White Lightning in Florida are all super fun and accessible to all kinds of riders.  Each would be a welcome addition to KI's lineup.   

Mostly true, but I'm still curious how GCI's Viper is in China. I wouldn't doubt that GCI can build 100 ft+ woodies successfully that aren't maintenance nightmares. I think so much of it is trains and dedicated track upkeep.

http://greatcoasters.com/?p=viper

• Like 4