I need advice for Kings Island in the summer of 2016

Blackhole6670

I am going to Kings Island with one of my friends over the summer of 2016. I want to ride all the rides, but I am nervous about riding Banshee, Firehawk ( I have always wanted to ride this ), Delirium, Drop Tower, Slingshot, and xtreme skyfyer. I really want to ride these rides but I am nervous about riding them. I am going with a girl so could I hold their hand on the rides I am nervous about? I really need advice on how to stay calm on these rides when I ride them. Also how much should I bring if I want admission to the park, to ride slingshot, to ride the Xtreme Skyflyer, and get food? Any advice is appreciated. I really want to ride these rides but am nervous about riding them.

• Like 6

Banshee: If this is your first "looping" ride/coaster, prepare to be in for a shock. In my opinion, the inversions keep repeating over and over, which will most likely make you dizzy for a bit. If you get sick often, be warned!

Firehawk: Can and will be thrilling your first time! The first turnover will frighten you to say the least, but you'll be used to it by the end. Wait times are long!

Delirium: One of the best views in the park! I would ride multliple times to see different perspectives of Action Zone. However, looking up at almost any time can be disorienting. Greatest flat ride I've ever been on.

I can't offer any other rides, as I have not been on them, but I will give you some advice. First of all, I would ask the girl if she would be ok for you to hold her hand. Or if you're afraid of her reaction, just ask for her arm instead. It will seem less "romantic" for lack of better words. And I believe Slingshot/Xtreme Skyflyer's prices vary throughout the year, so bringing $50.00 may be safe. (Correct me if I'm wrong). On that note, for a two-day trip I would bring $150.00 just to be safe, and that's just a estimate. Many factors go into what you should and shouldn't do, but I'm just a person on a screen. Good luck with your trip!

• Like 5

As far as Slingshot and Xtreme Skyflyer are concerned, their prices increase throughout the day. So make sure you get to them first thing in the morning to at least buy the tickets as low as possible. The cheapest I have seen each is $5 a person in the morning. As long as you have the tickets you can then come back for your ride at any time in the day.

• Like 5

Historically, tickets will always be cheaper online, so buy before you arrive. 

My best advice is that most of the rides you've listed (the drop t0wer, slingshot, and bungee) are all rides meant to build tension and anticipation and fear up to a single point of release. I'd start with the drop t0wer because it's likely to help you see that – yes, the build-up and anticipation are wild and unbelievable – but the eventual release is quick, fantastic, and (most importantly) fun! If you can do one, you can do them all (even if you don't think you can). It may very well be that once you're at the park looking up at the bungee, you go "Uh uh. Nope." And that's okay! 

My advice is always that fear and anticipation are natural and appropriate and can actually heighten your enjoyment... up to a point. If you're sick at the thought of riding Banshee, don't! If you think the fun will outweigh the fright (which it usually does), try it. Logically you know you're safe, so it's up to you to decide if the experience is worth the mental discomfort the precedes it. 

At least in the past the price for the bungee and slingshot vary throughout the day to match the current demand. First thing in the morning, they're typically both at their very lowest prices. My understanding is that you can buy your tickets for them right away for a low price ($5 or $10 per person) and then return any time that day to redeem the tickets. It sort of throws off their system, but until or unless they explicitly state that you have to immediately enter the queue, it's fair. Just be aware that even a dozen people in front of you in line can be an hour wait thanks to the low capacity of the attraction, so in a once-in-a-summer special trip, it may not be worth the time.

Holding hands sounds like it'll help till you're seated on a ride. Then suddenly all you want to do is hold onto the restraint. :)

• Like 6

If you can, consider buying tickets and such online:

2-day admission: $59.99

All-day dining pass (free entree and side at participating restaurants with a 90-minute wait between meals): $29.99 per day

Souvenir cup (free refills first visit and $0.99 refills after that): $10.99

Note that prices do not include applicable taxes or fees. See the park's website for a list of restaurants where the all-day dining plan is valid.

• Like 4

Depending too on your driving situation, I'll let you in on a little secret: many folks choose to leave the park for lunch. Drive down the street to Wendy's or Taco Bell, grab a cheap, quick bite, and return to the park. As long as you've got your parking receipt, you can get back into the lot for free. It's also a nice way to escape the park during the (often) hot and crowded afternoon.

Get a good breakfast, eat lunch outside of the park, and get a late dinner on the way home / to the hotel and voila. You've saved big time.

It would be something different if the park's food was great or special or featured some must-haves. As it is, I wouldn't even call it "good." Then to consider that they're charging premium prices for it... Yuck. 

• Like 7

From someone who's been on the receiving end of hand holding by a frightened rider: try not to drive the back of her hand into the restraints or mash her bones together. An arm or possibly knee/thigh (depending on the restraints) might be better because they're not as uncomfortably sensitive to squeezing as the hand is.

For Drop Tower, if you feel like you'd be more comfortable knowing exactly what will happen/when you'll drop, because that is less scary, I can give some tips. As you rise up the tower, you'll make a complete turn around the pole and end up facing the same direction you started. As you get near the top, rising will slow down, to the point you can't really tell you're still moving unless you look out in the distance and see things shifting against each other. A moment after you finally do stop, there will be a large clanking noise. That is the indication to start counting: after a count of six or seven, you'll drop.

Even among coaster enthusiasts, Drop Tower is the ride many will say scares them the worst. So if it scares you, you aren't alone :)

• Like 6

Firehawk is the only ride in the park to ever make me cry. I'm short so the restraint never feels secure (even though I know it is) and just staring down at the ground is terrifying. I had a similar feeling on an Xtreme Skyflyer at another park. Something about barely being held in, facing the ground scares the crud out of me!

• Like 1

Here's my take:

Banshee: Good coaster and good restraints.  Pretty smooth throughout.  My advice for not getting too sick is to not watch the overhead rail but dont get fixated on just one view.

Firehawk: Good coaster as well.  First time is a really good thrill.  Smooth throughout, but the last brake is a little jarring.  Pack light or use the lockers.  I have seen / heard lots of pockets emptying at this last brake point.  The restraints, while different, are not too bad.  You will have time to watch the ones in front of you load, so you can see how it goes.  This line seems to always move slow, so maybe hit this one first.

Delirium: Another fun one.  Used to scare the crap out of me. Now, I really like it.  Smooth.  You can close your eyes and just feel the motion.  Good restraints on it.

Drop Tower:  See Magenta Lizards post.  One thing I did not see, but this one seems to be the most big person unfriendly ride at the park.  I can have the right ride op push down and lock me in.  Good ride though

Nearly all (if not all) have seats outside that you can try, both for fit and to take you feel a little better.  As for hand holding on these, it is doable.  If going with a death grip, dont do it on the hand grips they have.  

Someone else will have to post on Extreme Skyflier and Slingshot, as I have not ridden these.

As for money, its your call.  The best deals are online, just be sure that your tickets are printed legibly.  Most meals are around $15 with drink included at most places.  A lot of folks here like the Reds Hall Of Fame Grill.  I have not been in there yet, so they can talk prices for this place.

There are places down the road that you can go to.  While you can save money, you lose that park time.  So, your call.

Something else about getting a drink cup.  While the Coke Freestyle places are great and the 10.99 deal is good, there are no bins to place them on Banshee and Firehawk.  You either have to pitch them, have someone hold them, or get a locker.  Actually, if you have any loose items (purse, camera bag, etc), they will tell you you have to get a locker.  Rental is $2 for 2 hours.

I know someone mentioned it, but parking is pay as well.  Its for the vehicle, no matter how many are in there.

Hope this helps and above all, have fun

• Like 2

For Slingshot - just sit back and enjoy the view. You're really secure inside that little ball, and you get a great view after being launched into the air. It's one of my favorite rides at the park, though I don't ride it too often because I don't usually get over that way early enough to get the $5 ticket, and it can take a good 30 minutes or more to get through the line once you decide to ride it.

• Like 2

It's perfectly fine to be nervous. I've been riding these rides for 20 years, and honestly I still get the butterflies when queuing for some of the rides. For me, that's what makes it a great thrill and frankly addicting haha... 

I would start small and work up to Banshee and Firehawk. For years I would always start my day with a ride on The Racer. For Firehawk, be prepared for the lift hill. You'll notice fairly quickly by just standing in the line that it. is. LOUD. It can give quite a headache... :lol: But if you can get past the sound, it's definitely worth it!  If you've ever wanted to experience what it would be like to have wings and fly around, this coaster is for you, sir! 

I would ride Firehawk and maybe Vortex before trying out Banshee. Vortex will truly test your limit on how many times you can handle going upside down. If you're A-OK after riding that thing, then the time for Banshee should be had. It's smooth, fast, and quite intense. It's a world class ride for sure! 

As a side note, don't stress yourself out too much if you don't think you can handle these rides. Only YOU can make that decision, not the lady standing next to you. If they're a good friend, it won't bother them either. Honesty is a good policy with girls, as Han Solo says: "they always find out. Always..."

Anyways, cheers mate! Let us know how it goes for ya! Heck you might even run into me if you decide to ride Banshee!  B)

• Like 5

I would ride Firehawk and maybe Vortex before trying out Banshee. Vortex will truly test your limit on how many times you can handle going upside down. If you're A-OK after riding that thing, then the time for Banshee should be had. It's smooth, fast, and quite intense. It's a world class ride for sure! 

But at the same time, Vortex offers a much different ride experience than Banshee. Banshee is intense in terms of the forces and maneuvers, but it's a sleek, smooth, quick, and surprising ride. Vortex is lumbering with awkward track transitions, a strange pacing of elements, and a very different feeling. Yes, technically they can be compared by the fact that they both have multiple inversions, but I personally wouldn't say "ride Vortex to see if you can handle Banshee." Doing so would cause a lot of people to say, "Shoot, if Banshee is a bigger version of THAT, I don't want anything to do with it." (With apologies to Vortex lovers, who I have tremendous respect for.)

My mom rode Anaconda at Kings Dominion a decade ago and swore off coasters until very recently thinking they all felt like Arrow multi-loopers. 

• Like 8

I thought I'd jump in here and give my two cents.

Just for the record, I'm the type of person who can get motion sick on certain types of rides.  You will never see me on any type of "spinning" ride.  For whatever reason, my brain just can't handle it and I get dizzy and sick to my stomach.

That being said, I'm able to ride Banshee just fine.  Not sure if you're the type that has a tendency to get motion sick on rides, but if so, if I can do Banshee, you should be fine.  One thing that works for me, and it was mentioned in an above post, is not to get fixated on one point.  Don't watch the track above you and don't stare straight ahead in any direction for long periods of time.  Shift your eyes around and focus on different points.  This helps to minimize the blurring and spinning of everything flying past you.  For me, this helps to reduce the disoriented feeling so I don't end up getting too dizzy.  I use this same trick on Surf Dog and it works well.

• Like 3

OK, first things first, before the rides.

You say you are going with a girl so you can hold her hand.  Is this a girl you are dating, or would like to date, or just a friend who's willing to help you along?  What is their experience on these rides, or other rides, if any?  If its someone you are interesting in dating, a lot of what you do would wisely be chosen by her desires.  Knowing what they like and don't like can go a  long way in making it a successful venture.  Knowing what the end game hopes are (dating, or remaining friends) can also change the game plan.

• Like 6

Yes, technically they can be compared by the fact that they both have multiple inversions, but I personally wouldn't say "ride Vortex to see if you can handle Banshee." Doing so would cause a lot of people to say, "Shoot, if Banshee is a bigger version of THAT, I don't want anything to do with it." (With apologies to Vortex lovers, who I have tremendous respect for.)

My mom rode Anaconda at Kings Dominion a decade ago and swore off coasters until very recently thinking they all felt like Arrow multi-loopers. 

That's true. Excellent point! My technique is from how my father built me up for the rides. I can't honestly say if it's right or wrong, though it's probably closer to the latter hahaha...

But yes, Banshee to Vortex is night and day. As others have stated, not staring at the track can help tremendously if motion sickness is apparent. 

• Like 3

There's a vest restraint on Firehawk for your upper body which fastens shut. Below that is a ratcheting restraint similar to a lap bar on any other coaster. You board the ride seated in an upright position.

Prior to dispatch, the seats will tilt back so when you leave the station you're looking up at the ceiling. The first ride may seem intimidating, especially the boarding, dispatch, and lie-to-fly element at the top of the lift but it's an enjoyable ride.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Xtreme Skyflyer has what amounts to a straight jacket. It feels like you are lying stomach down in a hammock, jerked up foot by foot by a cable attached above your rear end! (This after having the cable attached while standing, then falling face forward, supported in a raisable bucket--which then drops out of the way). The eath gets smaller and smaller, you get higher and higher.

Then when told to fly, s/he with the ripcord pulls it, you freefall to earth until the cable is taut, then swing back and forth. Eventually, a ride op raises a loop you grab, you come to a stop and descend back to the bucket from whence you came. The straight jacket is removed and you exit the ride--the park hopes you buy a video!

• Like 7

Since I never ride Delirium, or EXtreme Skyflyer. I'll just give you some coaster advice. First off, with Firehawk, being a grown man, in my experience with it, it really gets tight and squeezes your midsection. It's still a very fun ride, but dont be surprised if it gets a little uncomfortable in a certain region. And with Drop Tower, (I still call it Drop Zone), my advice would be to look up and not towards the ground. You go higher then anything in the park, but when you drop its so much fun!! Before you drop though, I would look either straight ahead, or up. Looking down for me makes me more nervous about the drop. And lastly with Banshee, you may want to first ride The Bat if your not used to that type of coaster. The Bat is really fast,and right behind Banshee, and will let you know if you want to step it up to its neighbor. Honestly, first time riding Banshee, I was nervous as hell. But once you start flying, and dipping, and looping. You'll want to ride it over and over again! Also on Banshee, since your doing so many loops, and going really fast, you really wont be nervous on what lies ahead beacuse you wont be able to see it. Banshee is loads of fun, and my guess is that after you ride it once, it'll be one of your favorites. It certainly is for me! But in the end, I hope y'all have a great time! Kings Island is the place to make many memories. Have Fun. MaestroJr

• Like 2

Slingshot is a fun ride in my opinion. The harnesses are snug but not much more than typical over-the-shoulder restraints on coasters. You also have a seatbelt that latches to the restraint and one that goes around your waist.

After you're latched in, you will fall backwards as the giant springs in the cage behind you are pulled up. A few seconds later, you'll hear a click and will go flying up into the air. You will bounce and flip a few times while you're up there, then will slowly be lowered back to the ground. My best advice would be to stand and watch the ride before you get on it so you'll have a better understanding of what it does. There are also videos of it on YouTube.

• Like 2

I have believe it or not never ridden Drop Tower(even though I nearly rode it when I was five years old in 2005 but thats a different story for another time :) ) because it has always intimidated me. I have even ridden Xtreme Skyflyer(which is really worth it if it is 5$ and I would recommend it) but not Drop Tower and I really do not know why... sometime I guess I will.

Banshee will for sure make you dizzy, it even makes me dizzy and I love looping roller coasters. But I think you will love it as it is tied as my favorite inverted roller coaster with Montu at Busch Gardens Tampa(I still cannot decide which one is better 6 months later!). I think you will be able to handle it.

Delirium will probably not make you sick or nauseous surprisingly. I wussed out of riding it in August 2011 thinking I would get sick on it and throw up. However I rode it in May of 2012 for the first time and I did not get sick at all and it was a really really fun ride. It is my favorite flat ride in the park and I never miss it every time I go to KI.

Firehawk is an insane ride when you get on it for the first time as that ride has the biggest example of the novelty fear factor. However it is one enjoyable ride and one of my favorites, I believe the last time I rode it was either April of 2015 or June 2014, I don't know which. I miss out on this ride sometimes because it always has a really long line. 

I do not know about Slingshot as I have never ridden it, take some other members advice on that one. 

Hope you enjoy your visit in the Summer of 2016!

• Like 1