Expand X-Base?

kingsislandfan1972

People thought Rolling Thunder was safe.

People thought Thunder Road was safe.

Then there's SIX other reasons to worry about wooden coasters. Three letters. Four letters to be abated. Cracked and peeling....

Never assume.

. I agree until we see some fresh paint on The Racer, to me it's unsafe to say if it will be around the next decade or so. What is comforting is that majority of the wooden coasters designed by the great John C. Allen are still in operation today.
  • Like 3

People thought Rolling Thunder was safe.

People thought Thunder Road was safe.

Then there's SIX other reasons to worry about wooden coasters. Three letters. Four letters to be abated. Cracked and peeling....

Never assume.

. I agree until we see some fresh paint on The Racer, to me it's unsafe to say if it will be around the next decade or so. What is comforting is that majority of the wooden coasters designed by the great John C. Allen are still in operation today.

There is new paint on the queue house (the structure over the entrance to the queue).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Bringing back an oldish topic back from the dead. I'd honestly love to see some Huss flats in X Base. If Kings Island were to "X-pand" they would have to relocate some, if not all, of those storage sheds and warehouses somewhere else. If KI ever announced that X Base would be getting expanded, it would most likely be because of a new coaster addition in the close future. One could only hope

They wouldn't HAVE to. If they waited until Dinosaurs Alive became extinct, then I agree that'd make the most sense.

But if an expansion is something they wanted to do, and they still wanted DA to be separate.. They could relocate some games and wrap around the front of The Racer still missing the access road that'd likely stay to access the north side of the FOF spaghetti bowl.. if you were to sacrifice the current access road between FOF and Racer. It's not impossible to have a fully encompassed coaster. The topography? You can make a deck so the path stays relatively level.. not that hills are something people couldn't handle (see Holiday World and Dollywood etc.)

2yx115w.jpg

There are other possibilities, I think

• Like 4

I can't believe I never thought of that. I had always envisioned a hypothetical path going around FoF squeezing between Flight of Fear, Firehawk, and Adventure Express. Your route is obviously far more feasible.

In regards to the topography, based on views from AE and The Racer, I believe that route would actually be relatively flat. Plus, it's already clear of trees, so why not?

We could even finally get that auspicious X-Base restroom!

Edit: Just noticed that satellite image shows the Coney Mall arch. :(

• Like 6

I still agree with my experimental-prototype themed launch wing-coaster I discussed a while back, especially now after having ridden Thunderbird!

I'd love to see it expanded. A restroom close to Flight of Fear, an S&S Screamin Swing, and another thrilling flat or two would be nice. Would also be a nice spot for a new coaster, perhaps. As long as they don't take out too many trees.

I thought of a cool idea... make a launched wing coaster (or another launched coaster) with a station and the first part set in a futuristic lab, and then if DA were to get the axe, have it go in the forest to display how the "creature" would do in a natural setting (or it could escape from the lab). If the coaster had a lift instead (I'm thinking a Mega-lite or a Wing coaster for this example), have the thing be set free from the lab to a natural environment, slowly rolling out of the station and cautious of it's new surroundings. Just my thoughts!  B)

I vote for the colors to be the colors of Stealth (formally at California's Great America) or maybe Forest Green track and orange trains/white seats

Stealth colors here: https://rcdb.com/583.htm#p=586

• Like 1

To make this area bigger Kings Island would have to remove two coasters. The land in the Dino area is not that flat and very hilly. It would be cheaper to remove The Racers and Adventure Express and use the flat land under them. I don't think anyone would want to loss these coasters for a bathroom or a flat ride.

• Like 1

To make this area bigger Kings Island would have to remove two coasters. The land in the Dino area is not that flat and very hilly. It would be cheaper to remove The Racers and Adventure Express and use the flat land under them. I don't think anyone would want to loss these coasters for a bathroom or a flat ride.

I disagree. They could. But they wouldn't HAVE to..

• 5 weeks later...

I've been listening to all these amusement park pages on YouTube and all of them say that we NEED a Giga to be put in X-Base in the next 3 to 5 years. Do we really though? Kings Island has showed us in 2014 and 2017 that they can dish out great coasters that don't even peak 200ft.

Don't get me wrong I want a Giga for the park more than anything and I'm more than confident that we'll get one in the future, but do we really "NEED" one like all these enthusiasts say we do? 

• Like 3

I've been listening to all these amusement park pages on YouTube and all of them say that we NEED a Giga to be put in X-Base in the next 3 to 5 years. Do we really though? Kings Island has showed us in 2014 and 2017 that they can dish out great coasters that don't even peak 200ft.

Don't get me wrong I want a Giga for the park more than anything and I'm more than confident that we'll get one in the future, but do we really "NEED" one like all these enthusiasts say we do?

That must be some nifty Time Machine you have there. I am so relieved to hear that Mr. T is "great", are you going to spill #whatsintheshed or would that interfere with the timelines?
  • Like 3

I don't think we "need" one. For some reason, it would just feel strange to me to have a coaster taller than Diamondback at the park.

• Like 1

That must be some nifty Time Machine you have there. I am so relieved to hear that Mr. T is "great", are you going to spill #whatsintheshed or would that interfere with the timelines?

No, I'll just create an alternate timeline so that Mr. T is renamed "The A Team"

"Ya Fool"  ;)

• Like 3

The only thing roller coaster wise I think the park is missing is a modern looping coaster.  I mean they do have Vortex and I love the ride but it is aging.  While, we do take our picture of our son next to the batwing every year to watch him grow I would be sad to see Vortex go but I think at this point that would make the most sense for the park from my Outsider view.

Just thought I'd bring this up because I literally just remembered this. Last year I was walking through the center of the parking lot towards the front entrance of the park. Then I noticed a number spray painted into the pavement in big white numbers 

"370"

I honestly don't believe it was graffiti, at first I thought that park maintenance did that to measure the distance from that exact point to the front entrance, which I will admit was around 300+ feet in distance. I thought it was extremely interesting that the number was 370 since whenever I see the number 300 at KI I immediately think of a giga. I never payed attention to the lot this season or took any notice until I saw this link while I was reading up on something from a past thread.

http://coasteraddict.com/will-kings-island-get-a-giga/

You're more than welcome to read the entire article but this is the part I'm focusing on

"If that is the widely- accepted consideration, Kings Island would have to have a Giga Coaster that is around 370 feet tall with a first drop that generates speeds near 115 or 120 mph"

Though this is just speculation from an enthusiast's page, I thought it was worth sharing. Is there a posibility for a 370ft coaster? Yes its possible, but I'm honestly reserving judgement until I get more facts on height restrictions and things like that.  Also if you look at previous posts I've made on other threads, I'm leaning more towards Centurion being a Kings Island name.

Whether X-Base is X-Panded or not, hopefully The Racer will get to stay. One thing I like about The Racer being in its current location is that conceals X-Base behind it. Which plays into the themeing of X-Base being a secret military test base that studies flight and propulsion.

• Like 8

Whether X-Base is X-Panded or not, hopefully The Racer will get to stay. One thing I like about The Racer being in its current location is that conceals X-Base behind it. Which plays into the themeing of X-Base being a secret military test base that studies flight and propulsion.

How could the get rid of The Racer? It's the original coaster in the park. Might as well close if they want to get rid of something like that. I say The Racer & Beast are off limits.

• Like 4