Expand X-Base?

kingsislandfan1972

I really like what they've done to Rivertown and Action Zone so far, so I think X-Base is the next location that should get revitalized. I feel like it being isolated from the rest of park and being "hidden" behind The Racer gives the section an element of mystery.  The Flight of Fear building looks natural and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, unlike another KI metal box located in Rivertown, and Firehawk's placement is equally natural. Even if they can't necessarily tear out the neighboring maintenance buildings, sacrificing a little space for maybe a flat would do just fine. I feel like there's so much potential for that section so I hope the park does something to it in the coming years. 

• Like 6

Would just have to factor in the cost of relocating them in the grand scheme. But agree they aren't an absolute restriction. However, when they have space elsewhere that doesn't require moving equipment and maintenance sheds it seems much better to them. 

But as others have said there is still a bit of room between Racer and FoF for a small expansion like a flat or two, restrooms and maybe put in a quick service food stand.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rhyano said:

Ask Carowinds that same question...

I don't know enough about Carowinds, I think. But is there Coney section based off of the park that started it all? I hate to sound cheesy but I think losing Racer isn't worth a new coaster in XBase. While I love AE, I'd much rather see it go for an XBase Expansion. From what I could see in the shops last week, it's not like it's well advertised and was a walk on on Saturday. However, I'd rather see neither coaster disappear for an expansion! I hate XBase's theming as much as I do Oktoberfest, and I think some new theming in that area could really give it the facelift it needs. 

I actually think it'd be a great spot for a small motion simulator. The park doesn't really have one and it'd fit easy with the theme.

• Like 1

I don't know much about Carowinds but I do know this- Thunder Road wasn't as popular with guests as Racer is. The way Thunder Road was placed really restricted a lot of expansion opportunities for the park. The Racer doesn't really restrict anything. Plus The Racer is still one of the most historical rides in the industry and still has the park record of over 100 million rides given. I think the days of removing original attractions are done. There's still a huge chunk of individuals who want the antique cars to come back. Racer still gets really good ridership every year so there's no reason for it to be removed. 

• Like 9

It seems like there is a decent amount of room in the area where SOB extended (past where Banshee currently is) that is relatively paved and open.  It seems very logical that if they could connect the edge of Action Zone with X-Base, they could open up 2 dead ends as well as create more space within the park. 

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On February 8, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Steph88 said:

I'd love to see it expanded. A restroom close to Flight of Fear, an S&S Screamin Swing, and another thrilling flat or two would be nice. Would also be a nice spot for a new coaster, perhaps. As long as they don't take out too many trees.

I would love to see some flats like some Zanperlas and a S&S screaming Swing. It would be very cool to have a giga back there as well.

• 2 months later...

I'll be really surprised if the park doesn't pay more attention to X-Base in the near future. We are in an era where outer space is still very popular, especially with movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, etc being blockbuster hits each year. Not trying to appeal to this demographic would be a missed opportunity.

• Like 4

On 4/21/2017 at 10:56 AM, SonofBaconator said:

I really like what they've done to Rivertown and Action Zone so far, so I think X-Base is the next location that should get revitalized. I feel like it being isolated from the rest of park and being "hidden" behind The Racer gives the section an element of mystery.  The Flight of Fear building looks natural and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, unlike another KI metal box located in Rivertown, and Firehawk's placement is equally natural. Even if they can't necessarily tear out the neighboring maintenance buildings, sacrificing a little space for maybe a flat would do just fine. I feel like there's so much potential for that section so I hope the park does something to it in the coming years. 

You wouldn’t need to tear up maintenance buildings, military bases have them too. They would just need a face lift to match the X-Base themeing. Therefor integrating them with the theme as if it apart of the x base theme but in actuality hiding ride maintence in plain site.

Just a thought.

• Like 7

@chugh43 I created two

Idea #1

Xbase 1.png

This one utilizes more of the existing buildings that could be used as a restroom or a food area which would require less demolition and more potential to expand between Racer and Flight of Fear. This also wouldn't compromise the other maintenance buildings. 

Idea #2

xbase 2.png

This idea requires more construction and in tern more demolition. The area here would be more flat so some thrill rides could definitely fit. This idea would be good if the park utilized the existing maintenance buildings as gift shops or haunt attractions which could be painted a different color like green or grey to make it like a government facility. This could also expand Xbase to the now defunct Dinosaurs Alive area. 

I personally like the second idea the best. 

• Like 5

On 10/4/2016 at 5:19 PM, calakapepe said:

They wouldn't HAVE to. If they waited until Dinosaurs Alive became extinct, then I agree that'd make the most sense.

But if an expansion is something they wanted to do, and they still wanted DA to be separate.. They could relocate some games and wrap around the front of The Racer still missing the access road that'd likely stay to access the north side of the FOF spaghetti bowl.. if you were to sacrifice the current access road between FOF and Racer. It's not impossible to have a fully encompassed coaster. The topography? You can make a deck so the path stays relatively level.. not that hills are something people couldn't handle (see Holiday World and Dollywood etc.)

2yx115w.jpg

There are other possibilities, I think

If they were to connect x-base to Oktoberfest/the entry of Coney Mall, something along the lines of this photo from Dorney Park on @Ride On_17 's blog post would be a lovely way to keep AE separated from the x-base expansion.

IMG_5387

• Like 7

I'm going to agree with another member. I'd love to see a Scream n Swing in X-Base. I'd love to see anything in X-Base... Especially a restroom! The entrance of X-Base is great, but the coaster enthusiast in me hates to see that great entrance dead end into a Vakoma, and an LIM launch coaster. we need something else. 

• Like 7