In-Depth: TOMB RAIDER: The Ride

bkroz

Hey friends. As many of you know, I occasionally write for a site called Theme Park Tourist. It's admittedly a very Disney-focused site (and Disney World at that) but I created a thread here a few years ago linking to my favorite features and stories that I've written. I updated that thread today because lately I've been on a kick with two new series: an In-Depth Retrospective that looks back at the detailed stories behind lost favorites and a Possibilityland series that examines never-built attractions, lands, and theme parks. So if you're interested at all in sitting back and reading some cool stories, and mindless (but interesting!) theme park listicles, check out that thread linked to above.

tombraider02-590x442.jpg

But anyway, I've had a very unique opportunity after speaking with the site owner. I mentioned that TOMB RAIDER: The Ride was one of my favorite rides of all time and even though it's a bit of a niche piece (on a website almost wholly dedicated to Walt Disney World), he let me go ahead and do an In-Depth piece on TOMB RAIDER, saying that if it catches on it could open up a whole new avenue for the site. 

Obviously, I'd love that. So if you have a few minutes, check out TOMB RAIDER: How One of America's Best Themed Rides Was Buried For Good. If you share it on your social media, get it circulating among friends in the Midwest, and get some comments going at the bottom of the feature, it'll help to justify this little test of expanding to seasonal park coverage (and it would make me very happy, too)! 

At the end of the day, the whole point of those In-Depth articles is to preserve the stories of rides lost to time. I think TOMB RAIDER is worth preserving and warrants a look back. So check it out! 

• Like 23

Truly a nostalgic read. I only wish that I were older when it was in its hey day.. I would've been able to more vividly remember it as I would've been more keen on getting in line for it.

It is down-right sad how it met its demise.. and a glaring blunder of a sight to be able to see the giant building. We can't even forget about the ride because it never completely left. The heart and soul was ripped out of the external body.. and as many people say, it's what's on the inside that counts

Fabulous writing, I enjoyed the pacing of it. I truly do wish something will be done. If any ride deserves a rebirth or to be redeemed with an equally exceptional experience, it's Tomb Raider: The Ride.

We've gotten the other massive failure redeemed with Banshee (maybe not of equal caliber that was Son of Beast in its hey days) .. now I really do hope that 2017 will bring a redemption to either the old TR:TR building.. or.. at least demolishing the building to place something spectacular in its place.

• Like 8

Fantastic article! I never got to experience it, unfortunately. I only rode the two-flip Crypt cycle a few times.

I really hope this new line of articles takes off. I've always found Theme Park Tourist's style of writing intriguing, but I've also always been disappointed that there was so much focus on WDW. I'd love to see some regular articles like this on seasonal parks across the country. Good luck!

• Like 6

What a wonderful article.  As a member of the Tomb Raider opening crew it was a great stroll down memory lane.  There had never been anything like it before nor since.  It truly was a fantastic attraction in its original form.  My heart aches a little every time I walk through River Town and see what has become of the entry plaza and thinking about what once lived inside the giant box behind.  I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be a member of the rides crew.

• Like 10

I never rode it as Tomb Raider but I did as the crypt (I think I did at least but I remember 3 rows and lots of effects and the sliding door so maybe it was as Tomb Raider?).

My overall question is why was Kings Dominion able to keep the music/lights/monkeys but KI couldn't?

That ride in particular makes me wonder what would have happened if KI and Paramount had a better continuation.... Also the park map showing camp grounds, golf course, and hotel..... So sad about how in a matter of about 15-20 years the park was stripped of the resortness of what it was suppose to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

At one point, this was my favorite thing at Kings Island.  I remember not having any idea what it was the first time I rode it.  

However, I have to wonder what could Kings Island be like now if the money spent just on this and Son of Beast were put into general park improvements/theming??

• Like 6

Nice article! You have me wondering now why they don't just put a regular Top Spin in the building now...I never really thought of that.

Personally, I wouldn't want a normal sized top spin. I find them uncomfortable, cramped, and the maneuvers are just awkward to me because of the scale. A lot of people would love it though.. especially if you prefer small quick maneuvers..
  • Like 2

I was always iffy about rides that go upside down when I was young. If I'd known what Tomb Raider was I may never have been brave enough to go in. But I did and I discovered Top Spins are one of my favorite rides.

I so wish they'd put another Top Spin in there.

Great article!

• Like 2

Nice article! You have me wondering now why they don't just put a regular Top Spin in the building now...I never really thought of that.

Personally, I wouldn't want a normal sized top spin. I find them uncomfortable, cramped, and the maneuvers are just awkward to me because of the scale. A lot of people would love it though.. especially if you prefer small quick maneuvers..

I am assuming that a normal Top Spin could be made to do the same type of ride cycle to make use of the original effects in the building. 

• Like 2

Wow.  I was not expecting the article to be so in-depth!  What a great read, and very informative!  I think I might have even learned a thing or two.  It was nice to see that you included some background info on the park itself.  That was a nice surprise.  Great job!

• Like 3

I am assuming that a normal Top Spin could be made to do the same type of ride cycle to make use of the original effects in the building.
I think it could. It's just how Top Spins are made now, they seem to utilize gravity more than relying on motorization to flip the carriage (not counting the lock & swing manuevers)

Maybe if the seats weren't as sunkin in, which allows the riders to have a default, upright position when no locking or flipping is being engaged.

TR:TR seemed to feel and look completely, or mostly, reliant on the motors, which gave a smooth, robotic, controlled flip everytime.

• Like 2

I think I only rode it once as TRTR back when I worked at the park in 2005. I wasn't quite as much of a thrill junkie at the time (my experience with the park up to that point had pretty much consisted of annual family trips to the park each summer), and didn't like the part where you were held facing straight down, so I didn't ride it again for years. I finally rode it again after the change to The Crypt and loved the new program, only to have it neutered halfway through the season. I really do wish I had ridden it more, but I only worked at the park for part of the 2005 season and didn't buy a pass for several more years. It's still amazing that a seasonal park in Ohio managed to get something of that caliber. It's just a shame that it had to end the way it did.

• Like 4

I was fortunate to have ridden Tomb Raider in its glory days and it was a spectacular ride.  I had no idea what it was, and before then, I wasn't much of a flat rides person, though, Delirium was starting me down the path.  I didn't care for Top Spins mainly as they made me sick just watching them (I got to see NJFTP's version in person prior).  Tomb Raider kind of got me into riding high thrill flats.  The theming was superb for a seasonal park's ride.  I wish CF would have kept a similar program to TR:TR and went with a mine or cave theme to compliment Rivertown.  I hope KI does get another Top Spin at some point.  

• Like 4

Wonderful article as usual, bkroz! :)

The more parks I visit, the more Tomb Raider: The Ride stands out as an exceptional, adventurous investment for a seasonal park. I always thought it was fancy writing fluff when people talk about how unique and unusual of an addition it was for a seasonal park in Ohio, but it really was. It could quite honestly hold its own against rides in Florida. Especially remarkable to me is the budget--consider that Verbolten is rumored to have had a $50 million pricetag in 2012 and, in my opinion, doesn't exceed TRTR's level of theming. Adjusted for inflation, Verbolten would cost around $51.6 million today, but TRTR would cost around $26.3 million if it cost $20 million in 2002. If only it had lasted!

Thank you so much for writing the article and sharing! It was so nice to remember that ride as it was. You've made me incredibly nostalgic.

P.S. The number of people here who only experienced The Crypt or never experienced the ride at all is making me feel super old.

• Like 10

Good stuff; bkroz.  I never thought of Cedar Point's layout as straight midways until the article. Also, I remember Tomb Raider and not knowing what it was, and even enjoying The Crypt, despite it being a shell of what it once was. Oddly enough, TR:TR/The Crypt is the only Top Spin I've ever been on. I feel like that'll change in May when I brave King Chaos at Six Flags Great America.

• Like 3

Fantastic, and well written article!!! It brought back a lot of memories and showed all of us what could have been if Paramount had stayed the course.... and what any park could do if they are willing to invest the dollars.

Just as an aside, I believe that Tomb Raider was originally scheduled to be built where Dinosaurs Alive is currently located (correct me if I'm wrong).

At least the Big Tan Box would have been hidden deep in the woods.

• Like 2

Nice article bkroz. :)

I distinctly remember the thought of "what did I get myself into?!" as I waited in line for TR:TR. The theming and design of the space built anticipatation while not giving away what was about to happen. Like you described, it was brilliant. I know I rode it at least once with all the theming. I think twice. It was quite an experience that reminded me of what I saw during my only trip to Universal Studios.

When I returned several years later, it was named The Crypt. I had talked up the ride so much. I was a bit confused by the changes during the wait but chalked it up to not remembering things right. We sat down, the ride began and uh oh. Nope, not the same at all. Oh for the love of the never ending flipping...we were miserable.

It is sad that such an experience became what it did. Hindsight is 20/20 so maybe in the initial scrapping of theming it made sense in some way? Maybe there was more to it than what is public knowledge in terms of the ride mechanics? I don't know.

I've been thinking that it would be great to do something like a Wild Mouse in that building. Or something like Laff Trakk would be a blast. Just..that space deserves more than a Haunt attraction.

• Like 4