Dollywood Opening Day Event 2016

Creed Bratton

Latter means second mentioned--in this case of NJ or California...

And, Dorothy, we aren't in Kansas anymore!

I understand "latter". They got a ride from NJ or Cali because  

Ohio is a piece of cake compared to New Jersey or California.

WOF got a ride that probably wouldn't have gotten easy certification for the future if it stayed at its old home.

--

It was worded in a way that I interpreted it as "Since Ohio is easier on testing requirements than NJ/CA.. we should relocate a ride to WOF.. since Ohio is easier to deal with."

Redundant with purpose.

I feel misunderstood.

• Like 3

Screamscape is reporting that Lightning Rod will not be running on opening day. Anyone seeing anything else about it one way or the other?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You could try reading the posts before yours...
I have and the story posted was after those. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Each Saturday through the end of October season passholders have the opportunity to get in the park an hour early to ride the featured ride that week.  In past years they've posted the Early Entry ride schedule at least a month in advance, but Dollywood still does not have it posted.  This to me is the most telling sign that not only may the ride not be open come next Friday, but that it may be a few more weeks before it opens.  

Dollywood has typically used the first few Saturdays to have the early ride time on the new ride.  Posting the Early Entry schedule without Lightning Rod on it the first few Saturdays would be a dead giveaway that the ride isn't opening on time.  I'm sure that Dollywood is doing all they can to get the ride testing, certified, and ready for operation. 

Dollywood is in a tough spot right now.  They know people are coming to the park the first weekend to ride Lightning Rod, and they also know that there's a good chance that the ride won't be ready by then.  When do you make an announcement if the ride opening is 100% certain to be delayed? 

• Like 1

And how exactly do you know that  Dollywood is in a tough spot right now?  Do you have connections/sources saying that?  Just because they haven`t said anything about the early ride times does not mean that the ride will not be ready.  

I don't have "connections" or "sources" saying that.  There are enough clues out there that lead to the conclusion I laid out.  Just a few things of interest:

• In the last month, Dollywood has not said anything publicly that the states directly that Lightning Rod will be open at the start of the season
  • Dollywood's Early Entry page still hasn't been updated.  I already talked about this but this is VERY unusual for them
  • On Dollywood's own website, all mentions of the coaster opening up in March have been removed.  Isn't that a little strange if the coaster was going to open on time?
  • I usually get email from Dollywood about once a week.  The last few emails I've received - including the one I received yesterday - have said absolutely nothing about this coaster opening on time

I'm in the same boat as many here, trying to figure out when I'm going to visit and if the ride is going to be open.  I'm simply trying to be an oddsmaker.  I want the ride to be open next week, but as it stands right now there's been no indication that's going to happen.  Sometimes the details are in the things that aren't said.

• Like 6

From the Dollywood website:

Lightning Rod will not be open to the general public at this time due to extended ride commissioning. Lightning Rod is an innovative ride featuring new technology never before used on a wooden coaster. The ride manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride. Keep watching Dollywood.com for future updates.

The season passholder early entry rides have been posted for the two Saturdays in March.  Wild Eagle on the 19th and Thunderhead on the 26th.  That would lead me to believe that this might spill over into April.  I am glad they made an announcement about this in advance.

• Like 4

A little disappointed it will not be ready this weekend, but not totally surprised by the announcement.  Still going to have a fun time at Dollywood. This will just give us an excuse to get back down there at some point.

What page is the early ride times on Saturday on the Dollywood website.  I could not find it.

What time does the Coaster Crew event officially start and where is the check in?  My wife and I will be coming, and want to know what time to leave the hotel.

• Like 1

I do wonder, when they say prototype, in what way is it a prototype?

A prototype for RMC's first launched coaster?

Or seriously a prototype because it's a wooden coaster? I didnt think that the launch system would be that vastly different from other LSM launch systems. Especially that these are fixed to steel ties, just like regular steel coasters.

• Like 1

I do wonder, when they say prototype, in what way is it a prototype?

A prototype for RMC's first launched coaster?

Or seriously a prototype because it's a wooden coaster? I didnt think that the launch system would be that vastly different from other LSM launch systems. Especially that these are fixed to steel ties, just like regular steel coasters.

That's where my confusion came in as well.

The launch is new for RMC so I guess that's why they are using the term prototype. 

I've heard other things too, but can't publicly share. :/ 

Anyway, I leave tomorrow morning! Gotta finish packing and I'll be on my way! Hope you all have a great weekend! I'll be coasting at Dollywood and SFoG! 

• Like 4

Idk how I didn't see this video yesterday but there is now a video of the ride going through test runs! This thing FLIES! Looks like an incredible time to be had!

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/LightningRod#rideProg

http://vimeo.com/159097494

Also.. I must make an answer to my question about prototype. RMC didn't produce the launching system, which started as a braking system actually, a company based in Pennsylvania did. Dollywood's "Under The Hood part 2" video didn't give a name.

--

This is why RMC mentions a subcontractor when they talk about the launch here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC_07seKLVN/

• Like 2