Somebody flew a drone over Geauga Lake and the footage is depressing

You assume they have a right to knock it down. Unless they are the owner of it, that is a highly dubious assumption. They could have sold a limited time right to remove it, but...

The current owners are certainly years beyond their deadline to remove the coaster from Cedar Fair's property.  What action they can and cannot take beyond that...well...that's your area of expertise, Terpy.

• Like 2

I am pretty familiar with Aurora.  This is honestly the best spot in town to build Meijer.  For the people commenting on people not wanting to shop next to a dead park they already do.  Walmart is directly across the street and the Meijer would be located right next to Target although from Target you cannot tell since there are trees in the way.

I do not know of any large empty store fronts in Aurora at all.  The closest which was around 10 miles away in Streetsboro which used to be a Walmart which closed when they opened a new Super Walmart about a half mile down the road.  Even that was only empty for 2 or 3 years.

I loved going to Geauga Lake and Sea World when I was a kid.  I hate driving past the remains but building a Meijer is better then letting the parking lot continue to rot.  Wonder how many people remember that Ohio used to have a Sea World.

• Like 4

It goes also to show enjoy your favorite ride, your favorite game, coaster, water park, park, each time you can. You never know when it will be the last time you can. No matter circumstances, an owner that destroys paradise, or lack of fans, yes the fans bring in the #'s . Recently someone posted that they miss the small parks around Cincinnati, me to look at my iconic screen picture, I loved the 2 coasters, and raging thunder, and the charm, love Coney Island of Cincinnati and its rebirth. Things do evolve, change, and close, and new things are built. 

What ever the day, whatever the time or monetary you have take on your life, enjoy each day. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This used to be my home park. Its really sad to see the park in this way and I can still see picture walking down the midways, playing in the nets, and riding my first big coasters. I would love to see this park come back but as a park that could complement Cedar Point and not work against it. A park made for the locals in mind. But I know its all a dream, but that's where everything starts at, right?

• Like 3

Well if you visit your old home east of it.. Waldameer is a wonderful little park that could use your patronage, and then south east in a smiliar distance is Kennywood. It sucks that this place (childhood?) is gone, but luckily, you're still around some great parks!

West of Geauga lake, you might as well just chill out at Cedar Point.. until your wait in line is over

• Like 1

This footage is must-see for anyone (mostly the Facebook crowd) who circulate petitions to re-open Geauga Lake.

Re-open what?

There's barely a shed standing. Literally any salvageable material at all is gone. It would be no easier to build a theme park there than it would be to open a fitness center and spa.

Apart from the Big Ripper and the entrance pavilion, there really isn't much left even for urban exploration. The guys who went through Six Flags: New Orleans had more to work with. I am surprised by the resolution of the pictures; I wasn't aware drones were that good.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This footage is must-see for anyone (mostly the Facebook crowd) who circulate petitions to re-open Geauga Lake.

Re-open what?

There's barely a shed standing. Literally any salvageable material at all is gone. It would be no easier to build a theme park there than it would be to open a fitness center and spa.

Apart from the Big Ripper and the entrance pavilion, there really isn't much left even for urban exploration. The guys who went through Six Flags: New Orleans had more to work with. I am surprised by the resolution of the pictures; I wasn't aware drones were that good.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk

I think they typically use GoPro cameras which don't have bad resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those who want Big Dipper to be restored, there may be hope....or hope lost...depending on how you view proper spelling and grammar. 

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Restore old classic roller coasters in America like Big Dipper from Gaeuga Lake in Ohio.
There are many roller coasters in our country that have been around for centuries. And over the years, many of them from well over 50 years ago just sit and slowly decay in abandoned amusement parks. They hold a certain history to each of them.

My reasoning for this is not only will it help create jobs, but it will also open smaller amusement parka more affordable for people with tighter budgets to take their families to. Also implementing some of Americas history with these classic coasters would make the next generation more interested in our country's history.

Please sign to show your support! There's so much that can be saved.

Published Date: Mar 27, 2016
Issues: Family

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/restore-old-classic-roller-coasters-america-big-dipper-gaeuga-lake-ohio

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

46 trespassers arrested so far this year. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/07/07/0707-drone-video-attracting-geauga-lake-trespassers.html

Many of the trespassers were caught climbing on top of an old roller coaster that Chickos described as a big piece of rotting wood. Chickos fears someone is going to fall from the abandoned roller coaster and get hurt.

• Like 2

Hmm, can't Cedar Fair be held responsible if someone gets hurt on "the rotting piece of wood"? I don't normally feel that a wooden coaster should be torn down but reality is the Big Dipper is more likely to catch fire than operate ever again. However Carowinds could use the Big Dipper....

• Like 2

Hmm, can't Cedar Fair be held responsible if someone gets hurt on "the rotting piece of wood"? I don't normally feel that a wooden coaster should be torn down but reality is the Big Dipper is more likely to catch fire than operate ever again. However Carowinds could use the Big Dipper....

to answer simply, "nope". Trespassers are afforded very few, if any rights v the landowner if they are on said property without permission. Of course, ownership of the coaster remains somewhat of a mystery...

• Like 1

"Trespassers on Property

With respect to trespassers, if the owner knows that it is likely trespassers will enter the property, he or she may be charged with a duty to give reasonable warning to prevent injury. This requirement applies only with respect to artificial conditions that the owner has created or maintains, and knows may be likely to cause serious injury or death."

Source: http://injury.findlaw.com/accident-injury-law/premises-liability-who-is-responsible.html

My logic is a trespasser falls from an the Big Dipper.

https://youtu.be/aKijJrTY1xs Hope I got the right video here. Anyone remember going here as a kid. Was a great place. Before ownership changed hands and was let to run down. The Screaching Eagle was my first big coaster and the scariest one I have ever been on.You had so much air time on this ride you literally floated on air the whole ride. One of the few coasters I have rode that you really needed seat belts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went to Geauga Lake twice under CF ownership. I truly feel like that they made the best of a bad situation with Geauga Lake. It was very clean when I went. All of the employees were exemplary. I loved their collection of rides. I actually liked the layout as I thought it was easy to navigate.  They just couldn't force people to go there, end of story. Both times I went, I had a great time. There was not one coaster that I didn't enjoy. I liked Texas Twister. The water park was great. My brother and I loved everything about it. All it needed was an appreciative fan base. Many people slammed CF for closing the gates. All I can say is that it was a lot of those same people that didn't go there enough or at all to make it profitable. Or they could have talked the park up. Word of mouth advertising still works. Six Flags management just didn't do that park any favors. 

• Like 2

Hope I got the right video here. Anyone remember going here as a kid. Was a great place. Before ownership changed hands and was let to run down. The Screaching Eagle was my first big coaster and the scariest one I have ever been on.You had so much air time on this ride you literally floated on air the whole ride. One of the few coasters I have rode that you really needed seat belts.

This link is to a place called Joyland Amusement Park.  The Screechin' Eagle was at the Americana Amusement Park in Monroe, Ohio.  I'm thinking you might have posted the wrong video link.

Here is the link where Adam the Woo visits the Fantasy Farm/Americana area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8jIocAGX_o

• Like 3

Hope I got the right video here. Anyone remember going here as a kid. Was a great place. Before ownership changed hands and was let to down. The Screaching Eagle was my first big coaster and the scariest one I have ever been on.You had so much air time on this ride you literally floated on air the whole ride. One of the few coasters I have rode that you really needed seat belts.

https://youtu.be/T8jIocAGX_o