SeaWorld Shakeup

Ding ding ding!

Their marketing efforts recently have been to talk about what a great zoo they are. And SeaWorld is a great zoo, yes. That's fair. But even a fantastic, wonderful, awesome zoo doesn't deserve a day of my Orlando vacation and an admission price 5 - 6 times my local zoo. But a really great amusement park that balances thrills and theme? With some spectacular coasters? And some elaborate animal experiences? That is a park that I might visit. A balance - teens, families, thrillseekers, kids, animal enthusiasts. Manta and the less-trumpeted animal exhibits that accompany it are a great example of something neither Universal nor Disney can do - a blending of their strengths. 

On the merits of its "zoo-ness" alone, SeaWorld would not attract me away from Gringotts or Marvel Super Hero Island. But if it's a balanced, compelling theme park given a unique ecological angle with sincere animal rescue and rehabilitation efforts? I'm there.

• Like 11

Disney's Animal Kingdom? Nahtazu.

I've never been to SeaWorld. Mako looks like a great addition to their lineup of B&M's, Kraken and Manta.

And if you want more thrills that a Disney park or Universal can't provide, Busch Gardens is right down I-4. Definitely want to check it out.

Off topic...who is getting a green B&M? Saw track this afternoon near my apartment in Clermont County headed towards the highway.

• Like 5

I went to a Sea World Park in July, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. I have to say they really do care about their customers. My first day their was not good at all because it rained the whole time. So my mom called customer relations and they were nice enough to give us another day free of charge! We went their the next day and spent a good four hours in the park before leaving. I got to ride Montu, Cheetah Hunt, Kumba(on the first day) and Sheikra. I'm grateful for that and I have a way better opinion of the park because of that second day.

Here's the link to that July trip report for those wondering what Busch Gardens Tampa is like:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31275-Busch-Gardens-Tampa-Bay%3A-The-Make-Up-Day-2

I hope this shake up puts the company in a better direction moving forward from the Blackfish scandal. I would hate to see any of its parks disappear.

• Like 6

Everything I have ever been taught about crisis management and minor pr kerfluffles is to own it and get out in front of it. It truly felt like the opposite was happening with Sea World.

A report surfaces at least on the surface play lip service and say we will investigate all claims and vow that you will be a bastion of animal rights, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Ignored, yes.  Hiding and pillows, no.  They had been conditioned to anticipate these controversies every few years and to try and address them gave it more airtime and made situations deeper and longer to get past.  It was a playbook that had success over the years... Blackfish didn't follow the same rules and took on a life of its own.

Much like what you'll find with Dusty Baker and your DC baseball club this year.  While in Cincinnati he NEVER adjusted his strategy to the situation and more often than not got out managed (see 2012 playoffs vs the Giants- not that I'm still bitter about that).  SEAS went up against PETA and CNN with a years old playbook and didn't modify early on and got hammered by the fact that CNN played and replayed, and replayed, then Netflix grabbed it.  

Game, Set, Match.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

SeaWorld is sadly in an insurmountable of trouble. I've discussed possibilities with fellow enthusiasts and have come to a general consensus that many would be pleased with the Herschend Family taking ownership of the franchise. Herschend has done a great job with both Dollywood and Silver Dollar City; As for Wild Adventures, the park definitely lacks a standout coaster (Cheetah is most definitely one of the most underrated woodies in North America though). The park overall has made huge strides since being sold from Adventure Parks Group. If one company could keep theming at par, add additional attractions, and thrill thousands for years to come, it's the Herschend Family. For reference, SeaWorld's stock (SEAS) has been on a consistent decline for the past five years. The company alone has lost $200 million this year. For comparison, Cedar Fair (FUN) and Six Flags (SIX) have been maintaining a solid growth for the past five years. I know there has been extreme speculation regarding Busch Gardens Williamsburg receiving a massive Giga in the near future (in reference to the permits that have filed). I don't see anything drastic occurring any time soon. Hopefully the company can finds in niche in the community and turn everything around.

Edit: @IndyGuy4KI, I definitely feel that Blackfish alone didn't bring the companies into shambles. It's definitely helped raise the eyebrows of consumers towards SeaWorld, though.

• Like 1

I don’t see how it can survive at all.  Never been but without an orca show I can’t imagine spending that kind of money for just a “really nice aquarium”.   It would be akin to CP or KI each shutting down their 5 biggest coasters and replacing them with Larson Loopers and such, or Sears selling off Craftsman.  

• Like 1

This mornings news of Joel Manby's abrupt separation from SeaWorld came as a surprise to almost as many folks as his hasty departure from Herschend Family Entertainment to take over the reins as SeaWorld CEO three years ago. 

FUN shareholders can rest easy.  Former Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet is locked up in a rather long non-compete agreement under his employment agreement and would not be available for employment at SeaWorld:

https://content.edgar-online.com/ExternalLink/EDGAR/0001193125-17-304136.html?hash=cde9ed3333c0e16b104885df518e384245ffe74fe7d2793ab0066ba33398a2ad&dest=D466011DEX102_HTM#D466011DEX102_HTM

However, Matt Ouimet could very well play a central role in the future of SeaWorld and its various assets.  When Ouimet stepped down as FUN CEO it was reported he would take on special projects, some of which would be related to seeking opportunities for Cedar Fair growth and acquisitions, including evaluating parks to join the FUN Family.

This afternoon I contacted Cedar Fair to inquire a little deeper into Ouimet's non-compete and employment agreement, particularly his specific duties. A Cedar Fair official who could address my questions was reported to be traveling and unavailable at this time. I am expecting a call back at some unspecified future time.

Ouimet is being well compensated in his new role. Cedar Fair must be expecting big returns from his efforts.

Things could be getting FUN soon.

• Like 4

It would be interesting to see if Cedar Fair attempted to purchase some (or all) of Sea World Entertainment properties.  I could see Cedar Fair being interested in Busch Gardens Tampa (Cedar Fair does not have any Florida operations and it would not contain the negative PR that is associated with the Sea World parks).  Not sure CF would be interested in Busch Gardens Williamsburg, given its proximity to Kings Dominion.  

I don`t think Cedar Fair would purchase all of Sea World parks.  But then again, many thought that Cedar Fair wouldn`t be purchasing all of Paramount Parks back when they did just that.

• Like 2

As far as news analysis goes, this whale from today's Washington Post is a killer. Joel Manby must be pining for the quite relatively sleepy days he enjoyed while CEO of Herschend Family Entertainment. This analysis places a harpoon directly into the thin skin of SeaWorld and the sudden departure of Manby and his troubled leadership:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/02/27/seaworlds-ceo-promised-to-end-the-blackfish-fallout-he-didnt-and-just-resigned/?utm_term=.92489e07dc7a

• Like 1

Manby was brought in as a operational numbers person to pull up the nose.

I think the things introduced will place them on a profitable course... in 5+ years- unfortunately there is a significant level of muck to get from here to there.  Intriguingly, SW and BG have mostly held an independent leadership structure.

I think what's needed now is a seasoned Guest Experience leader.  Look around... there's one available.  I'm just going to lay a series of initials here in the event I'm right... just to say I called it.

GOECL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leland Wykoff said:

As far as news analysis goes, this whale from today's Washington Post is a killer. Joel Manby must be pining for the quite relatively sleepy days he enjoyed while CEO of Herschend Family Entertainment. This analysis places a harpoon directly into the thin skin of SeaWorld and the sudden departure of Manby and his troubled leadership:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/02/27/seaworlds-ceo-promised-to-end-the-blackfish-fallout-he-didnt-and-just-resigned/?utm_term=.92489e07dc7a

Wow! What a fair and impartial work of journalism! That has Pulitzer Prize written all over it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1