Fort Rapids waterpark in Columbus closed by police

I believe you are correct, it was a Holiday Inn for a while. I visited Fort Rapids once and was not impressed. :/ 

The building was actually built as the first Hilton in the Columbus-area way back (which is why that road is called Hilton Corporate Drive). As that area started to decline and could no longer support a Hilton-branded hotel, it became a Holiday Inn. When Fort Rapids opened, the hotel actually maintained the Holiday Inn designation with the resort's formal title being "Holiday Inn at Fort Rapids." The HI affiliation brought with it online presence, marketing support, and brand recognition that were severely missed once it was dropped several years ago.

• Like 3

During that time period, Holiday Inn was requiring major upgrades for properties that didn't meet their standards. Many properties that couldn't or wouldn't upgrade lost the franchise.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why the former Holiday Inn in downtown Xenia became a Ramada several years ago.

• Like 1

^^ I'm sure Goble...but sometimes they just change ownership. 

The thing that sucks about this area is it's lost a lot of good development. The overhead shot I posted which is a few miles down the road used to host a good bit of shops. It hosted a movie theater that I believe was only open a total of 6-7 years under a couple of companies. All of the buildings on the property but the old Sam's Club have been demolished....all to make it more attractive to sell....well it's now been about 8 years since demolition and it sits barren.

Not even a mile down the road the area has lost a lot of business for relocation down the highway toward the area of Pickerington/Reynoldsburg. The area has seen some rebirth in retrofitting existing structures but there isn't a lot of business around there at all. 

Check out an article talking about the demolition and the hopeful future (written in 2008): http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2008/11/08/Consumer_Square.ART_ART_11-08-08_C10_0MBR1JL.html

• Like 2

It does seem like a high bummer but I believe we talked about gentrification in another thread...

If residents of the area had supported the business then those businesses wouldn't leave.

Same thing with Fort Rapids. If the citizens of the area had managed to support it , then it wouldn't have closed....

Similar thing happened in Trotwood. Due to falling sales/etc the area lost a mall and numerous numerous stores and restaurants. When the last store (a less than 10 year old Target) decided to leave the local residents contacts the NAACP and other organizations trying to get them to stay.

Now the area has one more empty building... It's sad from a community building area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Honestly though I'd say about 80% of the business relocated down the road, to the Pickerington/Reynoldsburg area that started to boom in the early mid 2000s. 

The chamber of commerce next door to the plot of land that was Consumer Square East has put forth little effort to market/sell the land for future growth. The article in 2008 was the last it was really even talked about. 

• Like 1

My family used to skip the retail in my city and go up to Brice Rd to shop. We'd visit the now empty/retrofitted Meijer, Super Target, Discovery Zone, Sam's Club buildings. We'd also stop at Cub Foods, Factory Card Outlet, Best Buy and Hometown Buffett, just to name a few. 

There used to be a lot of promise. 

• Like 2

I think our Urban Sprawl really makes urban planners work even harder. Plus throw in a failed business offering and it could crush a bunch of momentum. Look at a place a little closer to KI.

Forest Fair Mall went through the rebranding to become the Cincinnati Mills Mall. How does that mall change if Elder Beerman, Johnnys Toys, and Steve and Barry don't decline.... Maybe it lasts longer maybe not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The piece of property is no longer a desirable location and especially with the history of failed hotel after failed hotel I cannot fathom a new owner trying to make a go of a new lodging offering there.  Plus the cost to refurbish the current lodging property and to try and rid it of infestation (both roach and bed bug) would be astronomical and near impossible.  Time for a controlled burn and build a warehouse.

• Like 3

South East Columbus, Vandals don't care about whether or not there are lights....buildings are vandalized on the daily. 

I wouldn't be surprised if mold hasn't completely destroyed the building. I'm sure they haven't done much in part of the bed bug issue or any of the other issues.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

A fire sprinkler alarm was flashing on the front of the building, and Captain Loeper said a fire sprinkler line may have burst. Firefighters say millions of gallons of water then leaked from the burst pipe.

From: http://nbc4i.com/2018/01/03/burst-water-pipe-creates-icy-situation-at-closed-fort-rapids-water-park/

• Like 2