Cedar Point Summer/Fall 2016

stashua123

I have two trip possibilities this year to travel to Cedar Point this year.

My first trip possibility is with my brother Jacob. He has said he would like to go with me to Cedar Point sometime this year as a brother bonding type thing before he heads off to college. Since he has a job that pays alright with some money saved in the bank it could work. And since he is over 18 we could probably find some lodging in the area without hassle. Since I just have my temps as of now and will probably not change until Fall of this year he would have to drive up there with me. We were thinking of sometime during the Summer.

I have two questions about this trip.

What are the best deals for us to save some money so we do not overspend?

Which rides are ones that cannot be missed?

Alright for my second trip posssibility is with my friend Dylan. He and me have been wanting to visit more theme parks other than Kings Island. He went with me twice last year which was pretty fun. He would be able to drive in September so thats when we would probably be going. We think we might bring his dad along so we do not have any issues with lodging and driving. We were thinking about sometime in September or October before it gets really cold that we would go there.

We were also thinking about Kentucky Kingdom but I am not absolutely sure on that one yet so I will get back to you guys on that one.

For both of these trips I have some general questions

Which days of the week would be best to visit the park?

Is the KI/CP Ticket Deal a good value since my brother Jacob will probably not be getting a Gold Pass this year?

Which places are the best to stay at?

How much approximately would this trip proabbly cost?

Is Fast Lane worth it?

Is Soak City worth it?

Thank you guys in advance for the advice. I really appreciate how you guys helped me last year with Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and hopefully this year I will be able to go to Cedar Point and have a great time!

• Like 1

If you can avoid July fourth weekend - the days leading up and right after can be packed and not the best experience if you are wanting to make the most of your visit. A weekday visit has always been a safe bet for my visits. Avoid Saturdays.

As for places to stay, I normally camp for my visits. I've camped at Camp Sandusky, Sandusky/Bayshore KOA (both tent and cabin), and East Harbor State Park. I can give more info if you'd like. Camp Sandusky is currently offering a special for CF pass holders. I've stayed at the Comfort Inn River's Edge in Huron and would stay there again but may be a bit more than you want to spend.

If I remember right, Soak City is not included in your admission. I don't think it's worth paying extra to visit.

As for food, if you are willing to pack a cooler, you could save a lot of money by packing lunch and such. There are tons of food options and stores in Sandusky. It's just a much longer hike back to your car than at KI.

Have fun!

• Like 3

I have two trip possibilities this year to travel to Cedar Point this year.

My first trip possibility is with my brother Jacob. He has said he would like to go with me to Cedar Point sometime this year as a brother bonding type thing before he heads off to college. Since he has a job that pays alright with some money saved in the bank it could work. And since he is over 18 we could probably find some lodging in the area without hassle. Since I just have my temps as of now and will probably not change until Fall of this year he would have to drive up there with me. We were thinking of sometime during the Summer.

I have two questions about this trip.

What are the best deals for us to save some money so we do not overspend?
Which rides are ones that cannot be missed?

Alright for my second trip posssibility is with my friend Dylan. He and me have been wanting to visit more theme parks other than Kings Island. He went with me twice last year which was pretty fun. He would be able to drive in September so thats when we would probably be going. We think we might bring his dad along so we do not have any issues with lodging and driving. We were thinking about sometime in September or October before it gets really cold that we would go there.

We were also thinking about Kentucky Kingdom but I am not absolutely sure on that one yet so I will get back to you guys on that one.

For both of these trips I have some general questions
Which days of the week would be best to visit the park?
Is the KI/CP Ticket Deal a good value since my brother Jacob will probably not be getting a Gold Pass this year?
Which places are the best to stay at?
How much approximately would this trip proabbly cost?
Is Fast Lane worth it?
Is Soak City worth it?
Thank you guys in advance for the advice. I really appreciate how you guys helped me last year with Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and hopefully this year I will be able to go to Cedar Point and have a great time!

As far as deals, it depends on what you're looking to spend $ on. If you don't have all season dining on your pass I'd suggest getting an all day dining pass. That may be better than spending the full $15 some a meal.

Really there aren't any rides to be missed...if you are up for a beating, Mean Streak will give it to you. If not...skip that. 

It really depends on what time of the season you go for best day of the week....but generally I think Tuesday-Thusrdays are great to go.

If you stay on property, be prepared to spend a significant amount of change. If you are not willing to spend a bunch, stay at America's Best Value Inn (off of Route 250 in Sandusky, by Walmart). While it's not the most amazing hotel, it's older, but well kept up, water pressure is amazing in their showers and it's affordable. It increases your drive to the park but it's worth it I think. Gator can testify on this too.

The cost is really determined on what you want to do, what you want to spend and how you go about it. If you don't have a platinum pass and have to buy admission, be looking to spend $65 per person to get in the park alone. The round about answer on cost also depends on how many days you stay up there.

Fast Lane I think is worth it, if you're only there one day. To get everything done and to enjoy yourself you'll need one. But if you are there multiple days....meh. 

Soak City? I'm not personally sure. I've never visited the park. I've not heard bad things....I've not heard good things. It's a typical Cedar Fair water park. Rumor has it, it will be receiving an upgrade in 2017.

• Like 3

Oh! Check Meijer for the cost of tickets. The one in Sandusky, as well as the ones in Columbus, has a three sides display as you enter the store with tickets. Price will vary depending on where in the state you are. I've never paid that close to the cost as I have a Platinum pass but that could help.

I think they also have a Ride and Refresh ticket you can buy that includes a wristband for free drinks.

• Like 2

The KI/CP combo ticket (sold online and, as of 2015, at select Kroger & Meijer stores) is a very good value. One day at each park works out to about the cost of a full-price GAD ticket.

Soak City at CP really isn't worth the visit unless you're spending a few days on the peninsula & have time to kill. If you have a platinum pass, it can be a handy place to take a shower & change clothes after Thunder Canyon.

If a young and/or inexperienced driver is making the trip, plan your timing & route carefully. Driving on two-lane highways is best done in the daylight, especially if it happens to be raining.

• Like 4

I will not be returning to the point this year for the first time in 4 years.. I've decided I was going to forgo getting a platinum pass, and instead make my way south and visit Dollywood for the first time. I will however being doing my annual camping trip to holiday world going on 5 years strong.

• Like 2

In terms of where to stay - I would highly recommend staying at one of the many hotels on Route 6 in Sandusky rather than on CF property. Staying on property is more convenient and does offer some perks (at least for those who aren't passholders), but you'll pay considerably more. I stayed at Knights Inn in Sandusky last year and was quite happy with the experience - nice large room, free breakfast and just 5 minutes from CP. This year I'm staying at Econo Lodge because Knights Inn was sold out for at least one of the dates I wanted. I'm still only paying around $80-$90 per night though.

• Like 2

a. Do NOT go Columbus Day weekend. The place is busier than Walt Disney World on Christmas Day.

b. Watch your speed on two lane roads to or from Cedar Point. Many local governments there seem to have taken revenue generation lessons from the Commonwealth of Virginia and the District of Columbia.

c. Remember to watch the weather. The Point can be a LOT cooler, rainier and windier than points inland.

d. Don't forget to have FUN!

• Like 7

Thank you guys for the advice! This will certainly help my brother Jacob out with everything and iwll help out with my friend Dylan for our possible fall trip.

Can you only get a 3 day ticket to CP by staying at one of their resorts?

I think the Knights Inn could be a great choice! Is Breakers Express an any good hotel or is it cheaper thna the other hotels?

I am trying to stay more than one day as it would be horrible to just go their one day and have to drive back.

Thanks guys!

I've never stayed at any of the CF properties (last year was my first trip up there), but it seems nice enough. It's on CP Drive a couple minutes south of the park, not actually at CP like the others are. It does have some perks (discounted tickets and one hour early entry to the park), but like the other CF properties it's still more expensive than surrounding hotels (for the dates I'm going this year it's $139 a night just for the room itself). It does appear that the three-day tickets are only available for resort guests as well.

• Like 2

Look carefully at the cancellation policies on lodging. They are far less liberal than most places. For example, most require a 24 hour cancellation notice. Many still retain the first night's charge. Many charge your credit card at time of reservation.

And getting a cancellation or a refund from Cedar Fair, in particular, can be challenging.

• Like 3

Alrighty so I talked to my brother Jacob more about it and I got him on the fence to start planning for it(not a yes but he is looking into it). Which is a pretty big accomplishment on my part.  :)

We will probably use Hotwire to book our hotel around the area.... even though I would like to know which hotel it would be(one of the disadvantages of that website.)

2 days at Cedar Point 80$ each

Parking 15$ a day 30$ total

Hotel I looked at(but have not booked at yet) 50$ discounted a night.

Brings the total to 240$ not including the extra cash we will need for everything else.

I need to get started on saving some money!

I have also thought about upgrading my Gold Pass to a Platinum Pass to save on money. Do you guys think that would be worth it?

Thanks!

Josh -stashua123

• Like 3

Be careful with non-refundable hotel reservations. If your plans change, or if you get a hotel that you don't want to stay at, you lose the entire deposit. Refundable reservations can often be made almost as cheaply if you do your homework.

If you decide to use an opaque booking site like Hotwire or Priceline, note that they sometimes give out enough information to identify the hotel - or at least narrow down to a few possibilities. There are some properties in the Sandusky area that you most definitely don't want to stay at.

To upgrade your KI gold pass to platinum, you would pay the difference between what you paid for gold (~$95 in the fall) and the current price of platinum ($204), which would be slightly less expensive than a Ride & Slide ticket with two days of parking ($80 + 4% Sandusky admissions tax + $30). Note that if you have a 2016 gold dining plan, upgrading that to platinum would cost around $40.

• Like 3

Even if you don't have the plans to go to more Cedar Fair parks, upgrading to a Platinum Pass is worth it in the fact that you don't have to pay for parking ($30 off your total), you can go back to CP throughout the season, if you go to CP twice, it's going to cost you $130 plus tax (the current ticket price is $65 per admission for CP), plus you can enjoy ERT and if you go the right day, you could participate in Passholder Ride Night. 

• Like 3

Arighty I got my mom to look into a platinum pass, which makes me very happy!  :) That will certainly lower the cost of those such things.

I think sometime in June would be best for me and my brother Jake to go to.

Do you guys think I would have any issues fitting on rides, again this has not happened to me before but I am 6"4 and 295 pounds. I have had to be pushed down but I was able to ride everything at Kings Island that I wanted to. Any advice on this area.

I am really excited about this trip and i really hope it will happen.

• Like 1

Do you guys think I would have any issues fitting on rides, again this has not happened to me before but I am 6"4 and 295 pounds. I have had to be pushed down but I was able to ride everything at Kings Island that I wanted to. Any advice on this area.

Cedar Point's rides, from what I've heard, are much less forgiving than Kings Island's. If you've had to be "pushed down" at KI, expect a walk of shame or two at CP. If riding everything is important to you, I'd suggest making an effort to lose some weight starting very soon (of course, talk to your doctor first).

In particular, you're (likely) not done growing yet, so if you're already 6' 4", there's a chance you could eventually grow too tall for some of the rides at CP, as several have 6' 6" limits, including the "big three" (Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, and Maverick). TTD and Millie, in particular, are known to cause problems for larger guests; if you're not able to fit on them this year, and grow too tall before the 2017 season, then you won't ever have the chance to ride them.

So I would strongly suggest losing some weight now so that you have the chance to ride TTD and MF before it's too late.

• Like 2

I have ridden Cheetah Hunt back in July, so I think I could possibly be able to ride Maverick, I am not sure about Millenium Force or Top Thrill Dragster. 

I have actually very seriously considered losing weight and I have decided I am going to do that. Not just for rollercoasters but for my later life.

I think I am done growing as my family has always been fast growers until early high school and then we stop growing.

• Like 3

With shoes, you may be too tall for Wicked Twister - it has a 6'5" height maximum. It is also a tight fit for those with bigger chest areas. I have to adjust my upper body in order to ride - more so than what I have to do with Drop Tower.

I agree with jcgoble3 in that Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster are unforgiving. I have big hips and tend to have to have a ride op snap the seatbelt on those two rides. But I've seen bigger guys ride with no issues. In general, I think fitting on rides really has to do with how your weight is distributed around your body.

Maybe another person here has been better advice regarding tips and tricks?

• Like 3

As far as Millennium Force and TTD, it really is more about your waist than upper body. I've had struggle to get my belt to buckle on those two, I'm around 230lbs. But my waist isn't huge. I honestly found tightening my belt and bringing the coaster seat belt over my belt is easiest to get buckled in. 

I also believe Millennium Force, TTD, Raptor, Maverick and Wicked Twister have test seats available still to try them out before getting in line.

• Like 3

Similar topic, figured I'd go to the experts.

My family is having a get together at the point in late July, weekend of course.  We are now a family of 5....

3 month old son who won't ride anything other than a stoller and perhaps the train (is there anything else at the Pointe a true youngun' can get on?)

3 year old daughter (guess she'll be 4 by then) who was just all enough to get on viking Fury and Woodstock Express at the end of last season

7 year old son (will be 8) who has been on everything other than Flight of Fear (line was too long when he finally reached 54" at the end of the season and Firehawk (same story)

My wife loves coasters and could ride them all day long back to back to back.  I love coasters, but can't tolerate taking too many rides in a row.  The boy loves most everything, I'm sure he'll love FOF while Firehawk he's a little apprehensive about, but I'm sure we'll get him on at some point before that potential trip....  He used to ride Drop Tower when he was 4, then over the offseason he grew scared of it.  I won't ride it, but now that my wife is no longer pregnant for the first time in a long time at KI (a couple of miscarraiges/still birth prior to the recent addition left her ride free for a long time other than brief spurts) he may get on that again as she loves the ride.

We all have gold passes to KI (excluding the new born obviously), if we go, we'd likely visit my grandfather for a day, then head over saturday morning, stay saturday evening and perhaps sunday before heading home.  With the new born needing nap time, and my wife needing "mother time" staying at Breakers would be extremely beneficial for mid-day breaks.

So my question, should we consider upping to a platinum pass?  I doubt we'd visit any other CF park this season other than KI, so at most it would be 2 days at the Pointe (unless we did upgrade and decided to spend part of monday morning there).  I think I read there is a discount for platinum pass holders to Breakers?  Could I upgrade just my own pass to get the breakers discount then purchase single day passes for the rest?  How would early entry work on that plan (don't know if we'd even take advantage of it given the age of our youngest 2)

Since I know it will be super busy, I'd consider buying Fast Passes, I assume getting one for the 3 year old isn't a benefit, or at least minimally beneficial.  As I mentioned above, I can't really marathon rides w/o getting ill, so its not much use for myself, other than shortening a few lines, but it helps the boy who has some ADHD issues and while he's generally pretty good waiting in lines at KI, he can get a bit antsy at times, and I know the CP lines would be much longer on a July weekend.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Similar topic, figured I'd go to the experts.

My family is having a get together at the point in late July, weekend of course.  We are now a family of 5....

3 month old son who won't ride anything other than a stoller and perhaps the train (is there anything else at the Pointe a true youngun' can get on?)

3 year old daughter (guess she'll be 4 by then) who was just all enough to get on viking Fury and Woodstock Express at the end of last season

7 year old son (will be 8) who has been on everything other than Flight of Fear (line was too long when he finally reached 54" at the end of the season and Firehawk (same story)

My wife loves coasters and could ride them all day long back to back to back.  I love coasters, but can't tolerate taking too many rides in a row.  The boy loves most everything, I'm sure he'll love FOF while Firehawk he's a little apprehensive about, but I'm sure we'll get him on at some point before that potential trip....  He used to ride Drop Tower when he was 4, then over the offseason he grew scared of it.  I won't ride it, but now that my wife is no longer pregnant for the first time in a long time at KI (a couple of miscarraiges/still birth prior to the recent addition left her ride free for a long time other than brief spurts) he may get on that again as she loves the ride.

We all have gold passes to KI (excluding the new born obviously), if we go, we'd likely visit my grandfather for a day, then head over saturday morning, stay saturday evening and perhaps sunday before heading home.  With the new born needing nap time, and my wife needing "mother time" staying at Breakers would be extremely beneficial for mid-day breaks.

So my question, should we consider upping to a platinum pass?  I doubt we'd visit any other CF park this season other than KI, so at most it would be 2 days at the Pointe (unless we did upgrade and decided to spend part of monday morning there).  I think I read there is a discount for platinum pass holders to Breakers?  Could I upgrade just my own pass to get the breakers discount then purchase single day passes for the rest?  How would early entry work on that plan (don't know if we'd even take advantage of it given the age of our youngest 2)

Since I know it will be super busy, I'd consider buying Fast Passes, I assume getting one for the 3 year old isn't a benefit, or at least minimally beneficial.  As I mentioned above, I can't really marathon rides w/o getting ill, so its not much use for myself, other than shortening a few lines, but it helps the boy who has some ADHD issues and while he's generally pretty good waiting in lines at KI, he can get a bit antsy at times, and I know the CP lines would be much longer on a July weekend.

Thanks.

I believe there is a 20% discount for Breakers with a Platinum Pass. You can upgrade however many passes you like, but to save you $, upgrading just yours would work fine. Then parking would be free. Early Entry is complementary with all Cedar Point properties. I personally think having a Platinum Pass is great especially if you go more than one day to the park. Plus, you can go back whenever you want, even if it's just a day trip. If this is going to be your only trip to the Point, since you would be going on a Saturday, I'd suggest a Fast Lane if you want to ride more than a small handful of rides. 

• Like 3