SeaWorld Dishonesty

Wow...

Why do they keep shooting themselves in the foot like this? Who on earth decided this was a good idea?

I just hope Sea World doesn't drag Busch Gardens down with it. They'd be wise to rebrand all their parks as Busch Gardens and focus on rides more, and stop breeding animals. Video one last trick show in 3D and put it in a theater for future viewing and let the animals live the rest of their lives in peace.

• Like 1

"I'm not giving SeaWorld Orlando a cent of my hard-earned money. Instead, why don't we check out that thrill park in Tampa we've been meaning to try?"

Rename their most controversial parks after the ones that have thus far slipped under the radar of public scrutiny? I hope not. And what might Anheuser Busch Inbev -- still a major sponsor of the chain -- have to say about that?

At least for a while I was reading that analysts expected SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment to spin off their other parks for a potential sale. The SeaWorld brand was dragging down the Busch Gardens parks, Sesame Place, Adventure Island, and Water Country USA. In a post-Tempesto world, I'd argue that that's probably true. Pipe dreams, but I think NBCUniversal Comcast would be wise to acquire the Busch Gardens parks. I wouldn't re-brand them into the Universal Parks and Resorts banner necessarily, but as a secondary family of parks I think they'd do very well. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one that's amused by this? I love it when anyone annoys PETA, and this is pure gold to me. Also, why wouldn't they want to know what the enemy was up to? If PETA was privately planning something, wouldn't they want to know about it in advance, rather than being surprised by it, so that they can prepare for it? I just don't see how this is a bad thing.

• Like 6

I see your point Goble, but I am curious on what there intent was here? If they found something illegal by PETA how do you take any legal standing on that? 

Judge: How did you obtain this information?

SeaWorld: Espionage, that is legal since they are a Non for Profit right?   :unsure:

• Like 3

While I do understand that they'd want to know what was going on, planting an employee on the other side and trying to convince those on the other side to do things that are illegal is highly unethical at best. I can't imagine what the consequences would be if they had actually succeeded in getting the activists to partake in the illegal activities.

• Like 3

Amazed SEAS is finally owning up to this.  This was reported originally on this site July of last year linking the VICE article from the activists groups.  Here is the link to that forum http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/31223-the-seaworld-mole-and-seas-failed-activist-espionage/?hl=seas

The VICE article is a must read and shows how truly inept SEAS is, plus it is a great first hand account regarding "Tom Jones"

Remember this all began right after Blackfish blew up, SEAS was concerned enough about Blackfish to start spying on activist groups but not make a major PR push against Blackfish.  I believe they were hoping to orchestrate a major fiasco involving an activist group by using these covert dealings, which would should the activists as "crazy fish huggers" and then they could use that event to discredit Blackfish.  All while never officially acknowledging Blackfish existed or dealing with the claims it made. 

Just remember SEAS is concerned about the well being and conservation of their animals first and foremost...  That is a line that becomes harder and harder to swallow.

• Like 3

In the face of this news, SEAS closed down NINE POINT TWO PERCENT!:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0VY2UA

The market certainly does not agree with Mr. Goble. I'd not be surprised if criminal charges were filed.

If you're willing to be a bit patient and can hold your nose so to speak, the stock is a good buy right now.  At some point, this will all be a long-distant memory.

In the face of this news, SEAS closed down NINE POINT TWO PERCENT!:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0VY2UA

The market certainly does not agree with Mr. Goble. I'd not be surprised if criminal charges were filed.

If you're willing to be a bit patient and can hold your nose so to speak, the stock is a good buy right now.  At some point, this will all be a long-distant memory.

But when it's a long-distant memory, will SEAS still exist? And if so, in its current form?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.... they can't seem to buy a break these days.

They've got some talented executives- trouble seems to find them repeatedly...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-seaworld-tilikum-health-declining-20160308-story.html

I miss news stories that just gave me the W's and the H.

From what I understand, He was the last wild whale? The rest were hatcheried?

• Like 1

They've got some talented executives- trouble seems to find them repeatedly...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-seaworld-tilikum-health-declining-20160308-story.html

Honestly, I didn't read the whole article.  Just the headline and skimmed the rest.  

The discerning public will read less than that -only to the headline- and forward it to the Court of Public Opinion.

Couldn't tell you if he was the last one brought in from the wild... I assume they've had some "rescue" whales brought in but really have no clue.

• Like 2

They've got some talented executives- trouble seems to find them repeatedly...http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-seaworld-tilikum-health-declining-20160308-story.html

Honestly, I didn't read the whole article.  Just the headline and skimmed the rest.  

The discerning public will read less than that -only to the headline- and forward it to the Court of Public Opinion.

Couldn't tell you if he was the last one brought in from the wild... I assume they've had some "rescue" whales brought in but really have no clue.

Anymore, that's all a person can mentally digest is the headline- I don't blame you.