I-75 in Tennessee Closed (again)

^^ Because  it's a major artery, a life line to commerce. Few highways are more used than that one.

Expectations are set, someone was willing to accept. Now we see if they are met.   

Echoing this, this is one of the only major arteries to Tennessee. There are not many other routes. The detours aren't really meant to handle as much traffic as this closure will send.

• Like 4

I remember back in 2012 when part of the roadway collapsed on I-75 in this same area.  There was only one lane of South bound I-75 open and it was diverted onto the North Bound side.  The traffic was horrible and the first time I went through that season it took around 4 hours to go a few miles.  I left Dayton sometime between 3 and 4 PM but did not get to Knoxville until after midnight.

It took several months to repair the damage back in 2012 but back then it was the road which collapsed not the hill next to it.

• Like 2

Latest update as of this past Wednesday: http://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/i-75-north-back-open-to-local-traffic-at-exit-141-in-campbell-county

Southbound expected to be opened on/before March 17th (a week from Thursday)

One lane northbound expected to be opened on/before March 24th

Entire project expected to be completed by April 15th

• Like 2

I drove through today between 4-4:30 - everything running normal for those on 75 SB. Traffic was really light. It was very strange to drive 20 miles and not see cars on the other side. For 75 NB, there wasn't a back-up on the highway to take the detour. 

It looks as though they are taking the opportunity to do additional work on the northbound lanes north of the rock slide. There was a excavator breaking up the highway and some concrete culvert type pieces next to the highway. 

The rock slide is impressive.  Imagine if someone picked up an entire massive hill of dirt and rocks and just plopped it in the middle of the highway. It's huge. I don't envy their job to remove all that land and stabilize that area. 

• Like 5