Should parks invest in animation?

SonofBaconator

As a lover of thematic effects. Yes, whenever fiscally/ physically possible.

Effects make a HUGE difference in ride experience. (and live show experience) Just looking at very few, recent-ish examples..

~ Tomb Raider: The Ride - There's a topic on here recently discussing just why this ride was amazing, and though it was physically thrilling, it wasn't the forces that brought it to the headline.

~ Italian Job Stunt Track - As it was named then, it had a soundtrack to go along with the story of the ride, is used (still) fire for simulation of explosions, but has lost the water cannons to simulate explosion. Since the name change and brand change, its only improvement was using lighted dots to simulate the ricochet of bullets.

~ The Beast - While not a special effect, people absolutely adore the ride at night. It's because of the immersion of being in the trees and flying in the dark, your senses aren't used to this. This is what special effects allow to happen, only at all hours of the day; not just when the sun sets. People love it even more with the Halloween Haunt fog. (Diamondback)

~ WindSeeker - the choice to not just have lights, but a light sequence package on WindSeeker(s) made the ride all the more popular to an otherwise mundane and pointless journey. The music also helps set the rider in a relaxing, but epic journey to view the park high above.

This is just the recent things at only Kings Island.

I won't even dive into the parks that make it their company policy (almost) to adopt special effect techniques..

Sometimes there are failures.. (Yeti animitronic) but when it is done well and done right.. it is unbelievably satisfying. Sorry, Dr. Pepper..

• Like 6

Yes, yes, and yes again!  That is, if they're going to keep up with the maintenance.  Look at some of the rides at Disney World and how immersive they are.  Could you imagine Pirates of the Caribbean with cardboard cutouts, or the Haunted Mansion with nothing but 3D projection on screens?  Absolutely not!  Having the actual physical props there are what separates parks like Disney from parks like KI - that and, well, money and the fact that one is seasonal and one is open year round.  Anyways...I just think animatronics and physical sets/props add so much more to the experience and that's what keeps me riding those rides again and again.

• Like 4

Small things like those mentioned in this thread make a huge difference in the experience to us, but I wonder about the GP. Do they care, or even notice? I think they might to an extent, but at the end of the day I guess there aren't too many people whose decision to visit the park or not is affected by the fog and animatronics on AE or the removal of the awesome Top Gun queue. In that regard, you can't really blame the park for choosing not to spend money on those aesthetics. But at the same time there has to be a line somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To me theming makes or breaks some attractions. I LOVE theming on rides. As mentioned about The Beast coaster and with Banshee the night rides bring in the customers at sunset for a reason. The dark ride has a prominent place in amusement parks for a long long time. the are a mild thrill diversion for those who do not like coasters. Paramount was starting to cash in on that with Tomb Raider. It combined thrill ride with dark ride for a unique crossover. The same could be done with just about any flat ride. How about a Scrambler in a haunted house (with safety features of course). Or perhaps the Monster ride in a haunted house... Just an example. I know the purists will object because of "riding in the open air" but think of the potential. Even theming of queues makes a big difference. The facade of a station can be themed too. If we move away from the generic to theming the little things will bring in paying customers... Ask any tycoon peep you might know...

• Like 6

I feel like this is one of the aspects of the industry that is really changing. Now in order to have a world class attraction you have to have world class theming to go with it. Not saying that you have to theme to the extent of Disney or Universal. But I feel that a themed que, station and story really add to a ride. I'd much rather have a highly themed small roller coaster; than a coaster that isn't themed but shatters records. Look at Baron 1898 at Efteling. It's fairly small but I'd take it over Valravn any day. At the end of the day your record breaking coaster will eventually loose its records. But awesome theming lasts forever. *Cough Cedar Fair Cough* 

• Like 3

I kinda agree with all of you. Here's my take, the theming and the ride have to even out. I believe that a ride shouldn't have to rely on it's theming so much that the ride would suck if said theming was removed. Banshee is my favorite example as its a great ride with some really great theming-the lights, the mist, and the scream as you crest the lift hill (my favorite part). However, if those extra features weren't there, the ride would still be amazing nonetheless. The theming is good enough to where it enhances the rider's experience but it doesn't totally take away from the actual ride. But then again, the LIM in the white building greatly contradicts my point... My two pennies

• Like 4

Animatronics are great on coasters but only if they are maintained. I think Kings Island is better off without them tho. The park has trouble maintaining its current animatronics let alone light bulbs.. I really liked what they did with Banshee as far as themeing.

• Like 3

It's one thing to design a regular ride, such as a coaster, around theming.  It's another thing where the ride itself IS the theming, like a dark ride.  Not sure how you'd balance a dark ride and it's theming so that the ride would still be good without it.  Imagine Haunted Mansion without any of props, effects, or animatronics.  You'd basically just be riding through an empty building.  How about Pirates of the Caribbean or Splash Mountain without any of it's animatronics or effects.  Basically just boat rides, and probably pretty boring ones at that until you came to Splash Mountain's drop - that might be sort of fun.  Let's bring it a little closer to home.  How about Phantom Theater without any of the characters, props, or effects?  Just a musical journey through an empty building.  Not fun at all.

When it comes to dark rides, theming is everything!  Great theming makes a great dark ride, and crappy theming makes a crappy dark ride.  We've seen both possibilities at KI and I think we'd all agree on which one is better.

Now to theme a coaster or something, I do think theming can enhance the experience.  I loved Adventure Express' theming when it first opened.  The ride is a lot of fun, but wow, when all the theming is working, it's quite amazing.  And we all know the sad, sad story of Tomb Raider the Ride when it became The Crypt.  When all the theming was removed, it was just a hollowed out, empty room with nothing to really grab your attention.  A big dark room with a swinging platform that spun you around and around a few times.  Not great at all. 

• Like 4

The Crypt at least had SOMETHING. I liked that animatronic winged demon thingy and the cave theme. And last time I rode it in 2011, I believe the goddess statue was even visible during the ride. Even that's enough for me. Just SOMETHING other than a screen makes me happy.

• Like 1

I kinda agree with all of you. Here's my take, the theming and the ride have to even out. I believe that a ride shouldn't have to rely on it's theming so much that the ride would suck if said theming was removed. Banshee is my favorite example as its a great ride with some really great theming-the lights, the mist, and the scream as you crest the lift hill (my favorite part). However, if those extra features weren't there, the ride would still be amazing nonetheless. The theming is good enough to where it enhances the rider's experience but it doesn't totally take away from the actual ride. But then again, the LIM in the white building greatly contradicts my point... My two pennies

I only see light in this if you're only speaking about a thrill-dark ride such as... *sniff*.. TR:TR or Flight of Fear.

But bottom line.. if the theming will continue to be maintained, it will probably be better to have theming.. even if it outshines the ride.

• Like 1