VR coming to 9 Six Flags Coasters

I'm trying to not be super negative about the VR thing. I want to believe that parks and manufacturers have tested these and all safety concerns that folks are bringing up have been addressed.

But. There are very real logistical and safety concerns that I haven't seen answers for. How are they sanitized between use? How long does it take to get people set-up in them? Is VR in particular rows so those riders can be prepped before they get on the ride? What happens if they can't handle the VR during the ride? Can they take it off? What if a clip fails and the headset comes off your face? I can keep going with the questions but I think you get my point.

VR sounds like a misraeble experience to a girl who gets nauseous in motion simulators. Give me a real life experience instead of virtual experience any day!

• Like 5

VR is a very cool technology that I enjoy tremendously.

In my home.

Sitting in my chair.

Doing a minimal amount of moving.

I ride coasters because I love coasters. But I don't enjoy disease. And yes, I realize that lap bars are tremendously unsanitary. But lap bars don't touch my face, and neither do my hands after touching a lap bar.

• Like 12

According to the FAQ (https://www.sixflags.com/national/special/new-2016/faq), "gyros, accelerometers and proximity sensors synchronize all of the action" and "the visuals on the virtual reality screen are synched precisely with the coaster’s drops, twists and turns, [so] there is no motion sickness as some might expect."

From that, I would assume that those gyros and other sensors are used to compensate for speed variations on the fly.

Ahhhhh, so in other words, when Mother Nature creates a variance in how the mechanical coaster operates, the VR system  is going to pause or slow down the "action" seen through the View Finder type devices.  How nice, just like watching a streaming video on dial-up  :rolleyes:

• Like 6

I'm not fully decided on what I think about the concept of VR on coasters.

On one hand, I kinda get it since a roller coaster is really the ultimate motion simulator. The way the VR will apparently work on Six Flags's coasters will create an experience you're not going to get out of Oceaneering dark ride vehicles, the old Spongebob 3D motion seats, your local mall's roller coaster simulator, etc. You're actually going to get proper forces to create an experience. In that respect, I think it's a really creative use of an existing resource without pouring $20-something million on a new ride. As far as motion simulators go, I think this is "the next step."

On the other hand, I echo the sentiment that I do not go to amusement parks to experience the magic of watching a video with the screen really close to my face. Part of my enjoyment at parks is the fact that I'm outside, away from (most of the) technology I'm surrounded by most days. I also am concerned about how these will affect operations--are the headsets attached to the seats? The description implies as much. So does that mean that the ride ops have to remove the unused headsets before sending a train? Sanitation matters, too, of course, but I guess I'm not clear on why this would present more of a health hazard than almost anything else you might find in an amusement park. I guess I tend to assume that most surfaces in an amusement park have probably been vomited upon at some point in their existence, so I use caution regardless of apparatus by washing my hands. There's also, as others have mentioned, the question of riders removing the headsets mid-ride... Surely the things won't be actually locked onto riders' heads?

I think I would feel more positive about the idea of VR if there was a new ride that specifically was designed for VR. I feel like it's the sort of thing that an FEC would be able to do well with. I'm just not feeling it on big rides at major parks, I think. I was afraid it was going to be mandatory for all riders when I was first reading about it earlier today, and that definitely wouldn't have been okay for my first ride on Superman at SFNE.

Also, can we talk about how the poor riders of Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis get to go through the beatings that ride provides while, in essence, being blindfolded?! I mean, I suppose they don't have many realistic other options (Batman: The Ride is the only other steel coaster in the park with a ride time comparable to the other parks' VR coasters) but still. You know how many people felt about Maverick's old restraints or how people sometimes feel about Vortex's restraints and transitions? It's like that, but without being able to see what's coming. Kinda brutal. But then again, I try to stay away from Ninja as much as possible, so I guess I won't find out.

• Like 7

I also am concerned about how these will affect operations--are the headsets attached to the seats? The description implies as much. So does that mean that the ride ops have to remove the unused headsets before sending a train?

According to the FAQ (linked earlier), riders will be able to put the headset on and adjust the straps while still in line, so no. It's also said, I believe in the same FAQ, that there will be multiple headsets for each seat, so that one set can be getting sanitized while other set are in use and yet more sets are available for riders still in line to get them on and situated. So they can be cycled around (from station to ride to sanitizing back to station).

• Like 3

I also am concerned about how these will affect operations--are the headsets attached to the seats? The description implies as much. So does that mean that the ride ops have to remove the unused headsets before sending a train?

According to the FAQ (linked earlier), riders will be able to put the headset on and adjust the straps while still in line, so no

I can just imagine, someone putting the VR set on in line, looking at the VR screen or whatever it's called, continuing to walk in line and will run into stairs, fall, trip, etc.

• Like 6

The reality is that this is a business decision.  Samsung supplies all the gear, pays SIX a lot of cash - who in turn oversees the operation at the affected parks.  Pretty simple really.

I went to Six Flags St. Louis last year.  I arrived at the 3 Point Challenge there and noticed that the game there was decked out with all kinds of MetroPCS logos and signage.  The top prize there in 2014 was your choice of a $1,000 gift card to either Wal-Mart or Best Buy; i.e., things you could actually use.  The top prize last year was $1,000 package of cellphone stuff - the actual phone worth about $600 and $400 in accessories. 

About a minute later the parks games manager happened to be strolling by.  He recognized me, and after exchanging some pleasantries we got to talking about why the game was set up the way it was.  The following conversation ensued (GM is games manager):

GM: MetroPCS is paying us a lot of money.  They paid for the whole set up - signage, logos, prizes, everything.  All I have to do is run the game.  It's advertising space to them.

ME: What about the prizes you were offering last year, like the Best Buy and Wal-Mart gift cards?

GM: MetroPCS is supplying the top prizes this year.  They're going to offer things in their line of business.

ME: Can't you offer the gift cards as another choice if we don't want or need the phone stuff?

GM: We can't this year.  One of the stipulations MetroPCS has is that all top prizes are of their own choosing.  Offering anything else would automatically void our deal. 

The SIX/Samsung partnership I'm sure is similarly structured.  SIX only sees the upside - the cash.  They either don't see and/or don't care about all of the very real issues this is going to cause, many of which have already been posted in this thread.  Some of the SIX employee stories and experiences during this limited time engagement are going to be fantastic. 

• Like 3

I just thought of something involving the synchronization, specifically with a longer train (like Ninja or the two Intamin Superman coasters they're using for this).  Wouldn't the program have to be geared for the different variations of how a ride feels in the front vs in the back?  I wonder if they're going to be that specific when designing the VR programs....

Just a thought. 

EDIT: Also, what happens if there is an E-stop (specifically on a MCBR)?

• Like 5

After watching the google chat last night with Jenn McGrath at SFNE, the one thing about the headset that bothers me more than everything else put together believe it or not its the stuped chin strap. Yes the chin strap. I hope Six Flags understands that no two heads are the same size and the time it will take to  adjust the chin strap to peoples different size heads will be awful. How can you see what you are doing with that thing on your head. Now the dispatch times will be worse than I originally thought.

• Like 3

After watching the google chat last night with Jenn McGrath at SFNE, the one thing about the headset that bothers me more than everything else put together believe it or not its the stuped chin strap. Yes the chin strap. I hope Six Flags understands that no two heads are the same size and the time it will take to  adjust the chin strap to peoples different size heads will be awful. How can you see what you are doing with that thing on your head. Now the dispatch times will be worse than I originally thought.

They can "clean" these things with wipes all they want, but using straps on my face that just touched someone else's (probably) gross sweaty face is not something I'm ever going to do.

• Like 8

It would be one thing if they were ultrasonically cleaned or cleaned with UV light. But you mean to tell me that Six Flags is going to hire people to sit there and use disinfecting wet wipes on these headsets after each cycle? As if. First of all, that's a LOT of wipes. Can you imagine?

• Like 8

Just thinking out loud here: 

Do I think VR is cool? Yes
Do I think VR on a coaster is cool? Can be...but seems gimmicky. 

Do I see multiple health related issues happening because of VR on a coaster? Yes.....such as a protein spill, sanitary cleaning of VR headsets not being cleaned properly, etc. 
Do I see potential safety hazards due to VR on coasters? Yes.

Do I see VR drastically improving a coaster experience? No.

Do I see VR making people want to ride a coaster? No. 
Do I see VR as a short lived program? Yes. 

No longer inside my head: 

I feel like there are going to be more issues with VR on coasters than not. We've all spoke about potential issues throughout this thread already. I just don't feel like this program is going to be around long. 

As of right now, both Cedar Fair and Six Flags are planning on having VR on at least a few coasters within each chain.

What we haven't seen is whether the VR option will be an upcharge or free to anyone who wants to use it.

When Cedar Fair tested at Canada's Wonderland guests wanting to ride with the VR had to sign a waiver (http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2015/10/canadas-wonderland-testing-virtual.html). Nothing has been stated either on CF or Six's side about signing waivers to do so.....but I'm wondering if they do, is this only an 18 and over thing, since under 18 shouldn't be signing waivers without parent's permission? We also haven't found out how the VR head sets will be checked out and back in? Imagine someone getting off a ride and just walking off with their VR headset. 

I also am wondering how the VR video will sync with different seats on a coaster train. I imagine myself wearing a VR headset in the back of Diamondback (not saying Diamondback will have VR) and if the VR headset is synced through the train will my screen show me looking down as the front car starts staring down at the drop while my car still rises to the crest of the lift?

I am also reminded of the old VR "stand" in Coney Mall that used to be where the ladder game has been in the past. Why didn't that stay around? Was it not popular enough? Was the cost too high? Did people get sick? 

Many thoughts and ramblings....but I do wonder how it'll work and how long it'll be around for.

• Like 4

When Cedar Fair tested at Canada's Wonderland guests wanting to ride with the VR had to sign a waiver (http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2015/10/canadas-wonderland-testing-virtual.html). Nothing has been stated either on CF or Six's side about signing waivers to do so.....but I'm wondering if they do, is this only an 18 and over thing, since under 18 shouldn't be signing waivers without parent's permission?

Referring back to the FAQ I linked on the previous page:

Can children wear the headsets?

As with any of our rides and attractions, we follow manufacturer's guidelines. In this case, their policy states that the headgear should not be used by children 12 years of age and under. Typically Gear VR users are in front of gaming stations for extended periods of times while connected to the internet, so there are privacy issues to consider. Users might also be walking around in their homes, while wearing the headsets, which is not recommended.  While use on our ride is completely different, we are adhering to the manufacturer's policy. Guests 12 years or under may still enjoy the coaster, without the Gear VR headset, as long as they meet the minimum height requirement.

So... yeah. Doesn't appear to be any waivers here. It actually sounds like they'd like to open it up to even younger children, given that the concerns with the typical usage of this model of headset aren't present in this case, but they're sticking to the manufacturer's policy anyway (perhaps to cover their butts in case of a lawsuit?).

• Like 3

I certainly would not want to defend such waivers in a court of law. An amusement park has a duty to exercise a reasonable standard of care in providing for the safety of its guests. I highly doubt it can evade that duty by having a guest execute a waiver. Sure sounds like it would be against public policy.

As between the park and the guest, ONE party has far more ability to provide a safe experience than the other.

And as for New Jersey.../signal lost/

• Like 6

Not even looking at practicality anymore. After seeing TPR's video of Dare Devil Dive with the VR, I am definitely underwhelmed with the final product.

Poor visuals

Poor motion synchronization

And I didnt think about this before but their story of their VR leads for a very awkward experience. Unless you have onboard audio, the "immersive" nature that they're trying to give will be very lacking. You're gonna shoot lasers? No sound. Breaking through the building? No sound.

This gimmick needs far more improvement to be impressive by today's graphical and audible standards.

It looks like early 2000 arcade games.

• Like 6

Not even looking at practicality anymore. After seeing TPR's video of Dare Devil Dive with the VR, I am definitely underwhelmed with the final product.

Poor visuals

Poor motion synchronization

And I didnt think about this before but their story of their VR leads for a very awkward experience. Unless you have onboard audio, the "immersive" nature that they're trying to give will be very lacking. You're gonna shoot lasers? No sound. Breaking through the building? No sound.

This gimmick needs far more improvement to be impressive by today's graphical and audible standards.

It looks like early 2000 arcade games.

I thought the same thing. 

It seems weird to me that they also encourage you to not be fully ready to brace yourself, by having at least one hand up by the VR piece hitting a button. It'd be one thing if you knew what was ahead, but as you enter the brakes, I'm sure that could be interesting.

• Like 5