VR coming to 9 Six Flags Coasters

Alcohol wipes will not sanitize these headsets.  In the hospital setting, we have no less than four different sanitizing wipes to prevent the spread of infectious agents.  All require a minimum of a five minute drying time.

One is used for general cleaning and gloves must be worn, there is a risk for skin cancer.

Another is used for c difficile because this bacteria is resistant to the previous one and is basically extremely long bleach (side note:  hand sanitizer is not effective on c. diff, soap and water must be used.

Yet another one is used for respiratory issues.

Theme parks are not hospitals, but people are loaded with germs.  Not every person who carries these germs around is going to cause others to get sick, and not every person will get sick upon exposure....BUT...

I personally don't think I could use this tech unless I could be assured it was completely clean and dry before going on my face.

The germaphobe that I am has to go on hold on coasters when I think of where the hands have been , the personal hygiene of the riders before me, and the human grease stains on the Diamondback seats.

• Like 10

Agreed that I to have to put the germaphobe part of me away when in parks in general, but this goes way beyond that, IMO.

What of head lice?  One egg carrying bug hiding in these straps, and guess what? 

The riders upon exit, give back the headsets. Given to the other mentioned ride ops in a plastic bin.  Wiped and tested, returned to another plastic bin, and then recycled into the queue. NO distinction between the two bins BTW. And the ride ops just carry them around, noway dirty and clean bins can't be intermixed when ride ops cycle locations and duties.  I didn't really have a chance to count the total number of sets in use, but I would guess it around 24-30.

• Like 8

Agreed that I to have to put the germaphobe part of me away when in parks in general, but this goes way beyond that, IMO.

What of head lice?  One egg carrying bug hiding in these straps, and guess what? 

The riders upon exit, give back the headsets. Given to the other mentioned ride ops in a plastic bin.  Wiped and tested, returned to another plastic bin, and then recycled into the queue. NO distinction between the two bins BTW. And the ride ops just carry them around, noway dirty and clean bins can't be intermixed when ride ops cycle locations and duties.  I didn't really have a chance to count the total number of sets in use, but I would guess it around 24-30.

Don't forget, Mrs. NoChickens saw a woman in the bathroom digging at her scalp and looking to see if there was anything on her scalp and then digging at it again. 

• Like 10

Not that I needed any further convincing because I've hated the idea from the start, but I got to try out my coworker's Samsung VR headset today at work, and while it was cool for personal use, the thought of putting on a used headset at an amusement park, "cleaned" by a ride op, in the heat of summer honestly makes me sick.

Not sure what else can be said that hasn't been said in this thread already about this unsanitary, unsafe, and just overall idiotic idea. Not every second of our lives needs to be spent in front of a screen.

• Like 10

^ I 100% agree. Even though I said "not every second of our lives needs to be spent in front of a screen" (as I look at a screen), I have no problem with some screen-based attractions. And I would love to see something like Carowind's Plants vs. Zombies put into our Action Theater.

The screen in the Action Theater also doesn't require me to wear somebody else's sweat covered headset on my face.

• Like 8

^ I would hope that a man would remember what his wife said, no matter what it was. :P

jcgoble3, happy being single :)

Obviously you must be single, otherwise you would know that all men forget from time to time what their wife says, sometimes it even happens accidentally :)

medford, happy being married.

• Like 3

I've seen a post from Coaster Force on Facebook stating that the VR Headset is not optional. If you want to ride the coaster, you have to have the VR headset. 

<picture>

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/photos/pcb.10153434956228639/10153434956043639/?type=3&theater

Seriously?!?!?!?

I thought AT specifically said that the VR headgear was optional on Twitter...and why the change now, I wonder?

-MDMC, not a happy camper about this and glad that Six Flags makes their VR experinces optional.

• Like 1

See my previous post. This is not any of the Six Flags VR coasters, or even anything in the United States. That post is specifically about Galactica at Alton Towers in the United Kingdom. The use of meters (and the British spelling "metres") for the minimum height was my first clue.

• Like 1

Oh, I know the sign is not part of Six Flags's VR coasters, Goble :) I'm just bummed as I really wanted to ride Galactica when it was Air (or at least ride it without a VR headset) as Air was the first ever B&M flyer. Oh well...

-MDMC, who thinks he'd be better off visiting an island with a Collossal Slammer when he gets around to visiting the UK 

• Like 2

This is a sad sign of the times. You're on a ROLLER COASTER and you STILL need a screen.

Absolutely. That's part of the reason I refuse to do VR. Yes I like my phone as much as the next guy...but when I pay $ to experience a park, I want to experience the park/rides and environment....I don't want to experience a screen that I can most likely watch something very similar on my phone when I'm at home.

• Like 7

Agreed, I can watch all the POV's of rides I'd like to go on and off-ride videos of my favorite rides, but it will never compare to actually physically riding the rides and being in the actual environment. Here is a great example: When The Boyz are Back ended their run after the 2014 season, I enjoyed watching the show via Youtube, but it just wasn't the same. There's just something about being there that is better than any screen can provide (well, unless it's Spongebob/insert motion simulator attraction here). 

• Like 3

Sorry to double post (sorta)... but, I just thought of something...

I know that we as a community (at least some of us) understand the value of real, actual roller coasters and rides as opposed to VR technology (not just headsets, but the idea that VR itself could replace coasters within a simulator-like construct), but I really hope the GP gets it. I mean, I think (I hope!  :unsure:) we are light years away from that type of technology, but you never know. 

-MDMC, sounding like a conservationist...

• Like 2