Kings Island Shows Videos

thekingsislandshows

Greetings- 

MY KI SHOWS PLAYLIST LINK:

I used to upload shows on YouTube thekingsislandshows. It’s been a while since I’ve been to KI since I moved closer to Cedar Point.

My $1k SONY DCR-TRV30 MiniDV Camcorder’s tape mechanism wore out after a 2009 Hot Blooded show. I recently found one on eBay for $40. It was an estate sale item that didn’t have a battery charger. They were selling it for parts. Works perfectly. A 10hr battery came with it ;

I’ve had fun going back to re-upload shows in higher quality at 720P. They used to look great prior to YouTube switching to HD. Then the video lost something in the translation. That cam always sounded great.

Some are full shows, some segments that were popular in the past for easier viewing, and some edits of certain performers for fun.

I put them on my Cedar Point LiveE! channel YouTube redgartershows because thekingsislandshows log-in info got screwed up a long time ago. When I shoot any new ones they’ll go on this channel.

I uploaded shows in sections in 2008-09 because YouTube’s duration limit used to be 10 min videos.

2008 Uploaded now
• Totally 80’s and a couple segments
• Hot Island Rhythms Final Show
• Natalie Gibson edit from Hot Island Rhythms
• Natalie’s Toxic edited from different Dead Awakening shows 
• Josh Hobbs and the Dancers edit of Harder to Breathe in DA
DA NOTES: 
- I shot it twice in full. Then bits and pieces from different angles and distances/zooms because of the way Showplace is set up. 
- I put the set list in the vid description. I remember back in the day someone copied & pasted it into a forum post and didn’t give me credit for being the source - dooh. I didn’t create the set list obviously. But I figured it out. There were songs that weren’t so obvious. The pre-show and exit songs were pretty good.
- Get this. Someone flagged my recent re-uploads for "inappropriate content". Who knows. Maybe a subscriber who didn’t get the KI shows(?) YouTube initially blocked Girls Night Out lol Maybe because they tied a college kid to a chair with a Birthday hat on him and sang very aggressively (I have to admit that was disturbing lol). They retracted that after I appealed. So I put fair warning and Natalie’s warning announcement on Dead Awakening. It’s the only show I’ve seen groups of people walk out on offended ; ) I also put her in park promo that played over the loud speakers 15 min prior to the show at the end of the full show vid which is pretty neat. Something fans can appreciate that you don’t hear every day. I thought about uploading it separately.
• The County Line (I played around with the camera movement a little bit for fun. It was the first show I shot at KI. I shot their first show with Josh filling in. Don Helbig’s head was in the way ; The tape got eaten in a rewinder. So I had to do it over and that's what this one is)
• Girls Night Out Final Show
• Ghouls Gone Wild on Halloween (It features Paige Dobkins as Bride of Frankenstein. I asked her to do a broom stick gag. I had already shot the show once so I gave her a bunch of close-ups ^v^)

2008 Uploaded in the future
• Maybe another angle of DA
• Hot Island Rhythms earlier in the season (they had different performers that consisted of a rotating cast from Totally 80’s)
• Ghouls Gone Wild earlier in the Haunt season

2009 Uploaded now
• Hot Blooded Opening Night (zoomed from the middle row)

2009 Uploaded in the future
• Hot Blooded from the front row Opening Night

There’s more 411 in the vid descriptions.

You can also see my Cedar Point shows from 2006-2015. I had fun doing those. And I did drum cams and backstage for their drummer (who was from Cinci). I’m a graphic designer. It’s a creative outlet hobby. That’s why I shot them at KI. There was one KI pass holder whom a lot of people know from Haunt who couldn't go in the Summer of 2008. They thanked me for uploading them. That's part of the reason I do it.

Enjoy the look back. I don’t think people who had never seen the shows would be able to tell what year they were from. I think the performances and video holds up really well.

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/e8925173/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

• Like 2

Kings Island Shows Videos

At first I thought Mark Shapiro had come to Cedar Fair and the Kings Island shows were now videos. Mark thought people primarily went to park shows to sit down, so he replaced much SIX Live E with videos, primarily of Red Zone owned Dick Clark Productions.

After all, people gotta sit.

But aren't music revues little more creative or entertaining than videos--especially when they are lip synched audios?

People gotta sit.

• Like 1

I... Hate....musical...reviews.

I totally dislike the frantic flip flopping from one song and genre to another in an attempt to fit 30 songs into a 20 minute show. To me it's frenetic, frantic and as interesting as Kathy Lee Gifford humming song titles on Name That Tune.

Blech....

• Like 3

They're music revues

And I dont prefer that aspect of them either. That's why I thought Playlist Live and Off the Charts was a step in the right direction.

In a weird way, being able to finish songs and have resets, it gives the show a more cohesive and relaxed feel.

Revues are like riding in the car with someone that constantly changes the radio station haha

• Like 4

Thanx for the responses. I’m glad there’s a place to share some park history. Even though it doesn’t seem all that long ago. 

To address the issue of being allowed to tape or not and music licensing, and the “dynamics” of the process: You’re allowed to record and upload them at Kings Island and Cedar Point. I’ve never been to another Cedar Fair Park. However people have uploaded Canada’s Wonderland’s version of Dead Awakening for example.

I’ve been doing it since 2006. Uploading since 2008 to document our time at the parks, for those who can’t go, or who want to relive the experience in some form for posterity’s sake. In fact it’s nice people have done it at KI since I haven’t been able to make it there in a while. I know some of them. I’m a graphic designer. I’ve art directed pro photography and models fwiw. So I like to zoom & pan to frame the compositions and “capture the spirit of the thing”. Give performers close-ups when they take the lead. It’s more dynamic. I overdo it sometimes. Sometimes experimenting. It’s not fun holding a “game film” wide shot. Although that is an informative to see everything the blocking of the showing. I’ve even done “close-up cams” where I zoom in and move the camera around even when people aren’t taking the lead. It interest me since I’ve shot so many shows. I normally don’t edit. So I get one long take. 

I don’t do it for the performers. They can pay me if they want that ; Nor to meet them or be facebook “friends” ; They can embed vids to share. But not to include my footage in a promo reel. And they don’t do that. A lot of them don’t care who puts them on Youtube or even if they are YouTube. I’ve taken requests a couple times in the distant past at CP. I’ve made some DVD-R’s but not many.

Less than a handful of people thank me via YouTube PM’s. Some Moms and Aunts do. Only a few performers. Some performers do in person. The Edgar Alan Poe HalloWeekend performers appreciated it since they didn’t have to attempt it themselves ;

I have made some show-goer friends at both parks. A couple have mentioned they do the shows because I did them. Which is nice. Many people have recorded and uploaded since then. Especially once HD cams, broadband Internet speed, faster computers, and mobile devices have become a sign of the times. (Not to mention viewing devices like smart TV’s) When I started doing it back in the day I used a Mac Pro, a $1k cam, and was the first area of Kettering to have DSL (which was much earlier than that but fun to note - along with rebuilt cable TV lol). 

There are no signs in the parks in fact. Occasionally there are announcements saying it’s strictly prohibited or “For the courtesy of those around you and the performers please silence all electronic devices and ”refrain“ from the use of flash photography and video recording”. That one’s from the Halloween show in Cedar Point’s Palace theatre which is a semi-dark  with tables & chairs you can move around. Not regular seating. 

Rock Band Live was because it was an outside production and was licensed from a video game. (it was more well-received than CP roller coaster enthusiasts ie. non-show goers want to believe or know lol). It was also in a dark indoor theater. Normally they “prohibit” it because so many people have phones these days. Even DSLR’s take vid now. The LCD’s are very bright in that environment. Although if someone’s kid was called on stage from the audience then up pop Mom’s phone for the duration lol My old SONY had a color viewfinder however. I can borrow a canon G20 if I have to. Or put them cam on the seat with the LCD brightness turned down so as not to bother anyone. 

I’ve had permission from a head usher and requests from performers at CP. The Dead Awakening Ushers were excited to meet the guy put the shows online ; They let me go down after the show and tape Shannon playing dead on the brass bed to get a shot to end the vid with. I ended up not uploading her because she was swimming in Natalie’s costume during her performance she so tiny. Natalie left one show early. So they didn’t have a costume fitted for Shannon. Which surprises me. She was the swing or understudy or backup or whatever you would want to call her in the event Natalie couldn’t do the show. Those ushers asked if I shot the Snoopy ice show. I said I didn’t because they don’t allow it at CP. The ushers said I could have done it at KI. Now they’re not a complete authority either I know that. But they didn’t have a problem with it. They encouraged it ; Helbig’s aware people shoot and upload. He knows most of them. He sat near me while I recorded The County Line in Festhaus the first time and was in parts of the video ; Performers have friends and family record them also. 

When I taped drum cams and backstage at Cedar Point the drummer said he asked Live E! and they had no problem with it. The writer of the show and a Live E! blue tag were back there. 

The only thing about recorded songs–or as they say it sometimes on YouTube “musical compositions” ie. even cover songs–the music publishers may monetize it. That’s another practical reason I upload some shows in sections so they can’t monetize an entire show or I’ll leave that section out. Oddly enough sometimes the automated database publishers submit audio that recognizes it or sometimes it doesn’t. I had an upload that recognized Ghouls Gone Wild’s Hungry Like the Wolf Kyle Dobkins sang as a “musical composition”. I had re-uploaded it for a technical reason. It didn’t recognize it that time. In some cases it’ll be what I call a loss leader. ie. OK go ahead monetize the cover song. If people search for and find it then they might watch the rest of the show vids. As far as them making money indirectly off performance. The performers signed their talent releases with Cedar Fair ; They ‘re not big time with that much clout yet ; It’d be kind if Mom’s and Grandma’s gifted me with Best Buy gift Cards in $25 denominations for my efforts lol One thanked me because a performer’s Grandparents weren’t able to make it from NC.

Not all music is in the YouTube database. The publishers have to submit it. In some cases live concerts will share monetization vs the recorded song will monetize it. That’s the case for a couple Phil Collins WMMS-FM 80’s radio cassette tapes I uploaded to another channel. If you do mashups then most clips will not monetize the video. Pink Floyd will. It might take half a month to alert you. Don’t use even 10 sec of the Eagles in a mashup though. Blocked in all countries copyright strike! Those guys are jerks ; 

YouTube does have a database that’s kind of buried so you have to find it that lists songs and tells how they can be used or how they’re licensed for use or non-use on YT. What they don’t say that I could find is “recording” vs “musical composition” A ridiculous one is about 20 obscure publishers monetized an old esoteric song in Skeleton Crew’s sword swallower act. The artist is dead. A lot publishers are leaching off his silly song ; 

I only mention this extra info because I think it’s interesting and I’ve done this enough times. I hope that explains it. 

Regardless thanx for letting me share my documentation efforts here. It’s nice when people actually watch the videos ; Not too many do these days. I do it for myself first and foremost anyhow. I watch videos. So I share videos. In the past it’s encouraged others to do the same ;

• Like 4

And whether you are thanked by performers in the past or not, virtually all the performers do appreciate it and use the videos when they are uploaded to a public site like Youtube. I've spoken to a good number of the past/ present performers and a lot of them have used or at least watched the youtube videos of the shows they're in. Sometimes for learning a past show, self analysis, or to simply see the show from a perspective they'll never have.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...
On 3/4/2016 at 1:18 PM, thekingsislandshows said:

Thanx for the responses. I’m glad there’s a place to share some park history. Even though it doesn’t seem all that long ago. 

To address the issue of being allowed to tape or not and music licensing, and the “dynamics” of the process: You’re allowed to record and upload them at Kings Island and Cedar Point. I’ve never been to another Cedar Fair Park. However people have uploaded Canada’s Wonderland’s version of Dead Awakening for example.

I’ve been doing it since 2006. Uploading since 2008 to document our time at the parks, for those who can’t go, or who want to relive the experience in some form for posterity’s sake. In fact it’s nice people have done it at KI since I haven’t been able to make it there in a while. I know some of them. I’m a graphic designer. I’ve art directed pro photography and models fwiw. So I like to zoom & pan to frame the compositions and “capture the spirit of the thing”. Give performers close-ups when they take the lead. It’s more dynamic. I overdo it sometimes. Sometimes experimenting. It’s not fun holding a “game film” wide shot. Although that is an informative to see everything the blocking of the showing. I’ve even done “close-up cams” where I zoom in and move the camera around even when people aren’t taking the lead. It interest me since I’ve shot so many shows. I normally don’t edit. So I get one long take. 

I don’t do it for the performers. They can pay me if they want that ; Nor to meet them or be facebook “friends” ; They can embed vids to share. But not to include my footage in a promo reel. And they don’t do that. A lot of them don’t care who puts them on Youtube or even if they are YouTube. I’ve taken requests a couple times in the distant past at CP. I’ve made some DVD-R’s but not many.

Less than a handful of people thank me via YouTube PM’s. Some Moms and Aunts do. Only a few performers. Some performers do in person. The Edgar Alan Poe HalloWeekend performers appreciated it since they didn’t have to attempt it themselves ;

I have made some show-goer friends at both parks. A couple have mentioned they do the shows because I did them. Which is nice. Many people have recorded and uploaded since then. Especially once HD cams, broadband Internet speed, faster computers, and mobile devices have become a sign of the times. (Not to mention viewing devices like smart TV’s) When I started doing it back in the day I used a Mac Pro, a $1k cam, and was the first area of Kettering to have DSL (which was much earlier than that but fun to note - along with rebuilt cable TV lol). 

There are no signs in the parks in fact. Occasionally there are announcements saying it’s strictly prohibited or “For the courtesy of those around you and the performers please silence all electronic devices and ”refrain“ from the use of flash photography and video recording”. That one’s from the Halloween show in Cedar Point’s Palace theatre which is a semi-dark  with tables & chairs you can move around. Not regular seating. 

Rock Band Live was because it was an outside production and was licensed from a video game. (it was more well-received than CP roller coaster enthusiasts ie. non-show goers want to believe or know lol). It was also in a dark indoor theater. Normally they “prohibit” it because so many people have phones these days. Even DSLR’s take vid now. The LCD’s are very bright in that environment. Although if someone’s kid was called on stage from the audience then up pop Mom’s phone for the duration lol My old SONY had a color viewfinder however. I can borrow a canon G20 if I have to. Or put them cam on the seat with the LCD brightness turned down so as not to bother anyone. 

I’ve had permission from a head usher and requests from performers at CP. The Dead Awakening Ushers were excited to meet the guy put the shows online ; They let me go down after the show and tape Shannon playing dead on the brass bed to get a shot to end the vid with. I ended up not uploading her because she was swimming in Natalie’s costume during her performance she so tiny. Natalie left one show early. So they didn’t have a costume fitted for Shannon. Which surprises me. She was the swing or understudy or backup or whatever you would want to call her in the event Natalie couldn’t do the show. Those ushers asked if I shot the Snoopy ice show. I said I didn’t because they don’t allow it at CP. The ushers said I could have done it at KI. Now they’re not a complete authority either I know that. But they didn’t have a problem with it. They encouraged it ; Helbig’s aware people shoot and upload. He knows most of them. He sat near me while I recorded The County Line in Festhaus the first time and was in parts of the video ; Performers have friends and family record them also. 

When I taped drum cams and backstage at Cedar Point the drummer said he asked Live E! and they had no problem with it. The writer of the show and a Live E! blue tag were back there. 

The only thing about recorded songs–or as they say it sometimes on YouTube “musical compositions” ie. even cover songs–the music publishers may monetize it. That’s another practical reason I upload some shows in sections so they can’t monetize an entire show or I’ll leave that section out. Oddly enough sometimes the automated database publishers submit audio that recognizes it or sometimes it doesn’t. I had an upload that recognized Ghouls Gone Wild’s Hungry Like the Wolf Kyle Dobkins sang as a “musical composition”. I had re-uploaded it for a technical reason. It didn’t recognize it that time. In some cases it’ll be what I call a loss leader. ie. OK go ahead monetize the cover song. If people search for and find it then they might watch the rest of the show vids. As far as them making money indirectly off performance. The performers signed their talent releases with Cedar Fair ; They ‘re not big time with that much clout yet ; It’d be kind if Mom’s and Grandma’s gifted me with Best Buy gift Cards in $25 denominations for my efforts lol One thanked me because a performer’s Grandparents weren’t able to make it from NC.

Not all music is in the YouTube database. The publishers have to submit it. In some cases live concerts will share monetization vs the recorded song will monetize it. That’s the case for a couple Phil Collins WMMS-FM 80’s radio cassette tapes I uploaded to another channel. If you do mashups then most clips will not monetize the video. Pink Floyd will. It might take half a month to alert you. Don’t use even 10 sec of the Eagles in a mashup though. Blocked in all countries copyright strike! Those guys are jerks ; 

YouTube does have a database that’s kind of buried so you have to find it that lists songs and tells how they can be used or how they’re licensed for use or non-use on YT. What they don’t say that I could find is “recording” vs “musical composition” A ridiculous one is about 20 obscure publishers monetized an old esoteric song in Skeleton Crew’s sword swallower act. The artist is dead. A lot publishers are leaching off his silly song ; 

I only mention this extra info because I think it’s interesting and I’ve done this enough times. I hope that explains it. 

Regardless thanx for letting me share my documentation efforts here. It’s nice when people actually watch the videos ; Not too many do these days. I do it for myself first and foremost anyhow. I watch videos. So I share videos. In the past it’s encouraged others to do the same ;

Hi this is Shannon. I was wondering if you still had any video of me from dead awakening? I’d love to see what you have. Fun memories! My

email is shannonnicole2288@gmail.com