Former SFNO May Be Sold

So how did the City/Industrual Development Board obtain the property from Six Flags post- Katrina?  Was it right around the time of the Six Flags bankruptcy?  The article didn`t really mention how the property was transferred from Six Flags to the city.

I remember seeing an urban exploration video of the place not too long ago, and every single ride and attraction I saw was in worse shape than Big Dipper at GL.  If that isnt salvageable, then rides (specifically coasters) that sat with good portions of their supporting structures in flood water surely arent.

• Like 8

What a shame. Bet they'd almost have to give it away.

Sold for $2.50! (joking) but that is a lot of land that someone could do something great with, I am hoping the Jazzland project is still around and maybe they can turn it around again, but have my serious doubts

• Like 4

I can see it being a film set for post-apocalyptic survival/zombie movies. There seems to be several of those every year, and the lot would require minimal changes (working electric hookups, plumbing, etc.). It could probably be used for that for a few years.

As for anything else, not sure what's feasible.

• Like 1

What a shame. Bet they'd almost have to give it away.

Sold for $2.50! (joking) but that is a lot of land that someone could do something great with, I am hoping the Jazzland project is still around and maybe they can turn it around again, but have my serious doubts

Land that sits squarely in a floodplane.  Given what happened with Six Flags, any insurer out there is likely to charge quite a hefty premium, if coverage were even offered.

• Like 2

I can see it being a film set for post-apocalyptic survival/zombie movies. There seems to be several of those every year, and the lot would require minimal changes (working electric hookups, plumbing, etc.). It could probably be used for that for a few years.

As for anything else, not sure what's feasible.

The post-apocalyptic angle actually has been used. "Percy Jackson:Sea of Monsters" and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" shot at least some footage at the park and it's been used for some less fantastic productions as well.

www.Nolan.com/movies/index.set/2014/07/dawn_of_the_planet_of_the_apes_6.HTML#incart_related_stories

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

From the descriptions of the state of Kentucky Kingdom three years after Six Flags abandoned it, I don't even what to think about what kind of shape SFNO would be in ten years after being abandoned.

I just remembered: we have seen what an abandoned amusement park can look like (roughly) ten years after abandonment: the Geauga Lake drone footage I posted here last month.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A. Location, location, location.

B. If it is to be a theme park, why has no experienced operator stepped up?

C. Government owned/operated/subsidized parks have not had a good track record. The Wheeling, West Virginia park, the Nebraska effort, Playland in New York State, Hard Rock Park, and perhaps most of all, Visionland in Alabama...Kentucky Kingdom, and now Conneaut Lake Park as a "charitable" trust.

D. High crime area. Theme park. Does not compute.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...