Origins 2016

Magenta Lizard

Caught the 3:00 show today and sat in the very front. The cast was really hamming it up today with great humor, awkward silences and whatnot; Sam even sat next to me while we watched the slack rope guy do his thing. Sadly, that will probably be my last Cirque show of the season, but what a season it was! I still miss Yannick (for some reason, I expected him to come out from the breakway wall with the rest of the "gnomes"), but Sam is cool (plus I know Sam a bit better than I knew Yannick).

Oh, and Sam and his partner nailed the Russian Cradle today; she stuck a great landing!

• Like 1

^ I was hoping to get to see another show with you! You should try to make one of the closing shows on the 21st!

Louise has changed their routine to have a more difficult third set of tricks. Rather than doing two releases, and her going back up top before the last, they are doing it all back to back. It has to be more difficult, but they've got it. She is absolutely adorable with her enthusiasm!

The rest of the guys have been clowning around a whole lot these last couple weeks, really cutting loose and playing with each other and the audiences. One show, around the time they introduced the rubber chicken, their show prompted my young friend to exclaim it was the funniest thing he had ever seen :)

• Like 2

I finally saw the show for the first time since the day of Mystic Timbers's announcement. I think that, with Josh participating in the final act, the show has finally reached its sweet spot. It's been wonderful this whole time, of course, but the gap between Jasmin (the original Jacko) leaving and Josh participating in the final act has made the trampwall portion feel a little less impactful than what it could be. Now, it's living up to its full potential. Combined with how they have spiced up the painting act and the way all the performers have really started having fun with their roles, I think Origins has never been better. (I have GOT to figure out the tracklist for the show! I can't go through this winter without knowing it!)

I'm starting to get the "end of cirque-related show" angsty feelings that apparently have become an annual tradition for me since 2014. Like with both iterations of Cirque Imagine, I am going to sincerely miss every last performer of Origins. Those folks have an incredible presence both individually and together that can't be replicated, which is both a compliment and, for me, a complete bummer! :) They truly deserve a standing ovation for delivering a season's worth of quality performances without fail.

Kings Island staff reading this: Thanks for bringing Origins to the park. It's been a wonderful ride. An encore next year would be very much appreciated. :)

Also, on a semi-related note: Trevor Bodogh, the bicycle performer from both years of our Cirque Imagine, both years of Cirque Ambiente at Canada's Wonderland, and this year's CI at Kings Dominion, has announced on Instagram that he will be performing for Cirque du Soleil in 2017. I don't think he's officially said which show he'll be performing in. I wish him the best, and I hope I will have the opportunity to see whatever show he's in next year.

(Anyone else kinda feeling like this cirque thing gets in your blood after a while? When the day comes that we don't have a cirque show at KI anymore, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself!)

• Like 4

Agreed. Cirque is amazing! As I said previously, what a season it's been. From Yannick (I still miss him...) and the new and improved Hand2Hand to Ariel effortlessly spinning those rings and getting to know Sam these past couple weeks, it's been a great Cirque season. Before Wednesday's 3 PM show, I asked one of the ushers if she could "confirm or deny that Cirque is coming back" (borrowing Don's verbiage about Son of Beast lol) and she said she could not (or something to that effect). So, I say, Cirque performers, if you read these forums at all, thanks for your awesomeness and inspiration. :D

EDIT: Also, I must find the song that played during Hand2Hand (and currently during the ring segment).

• Like 1

Also, on a semi-related note: Trevor Bodogh, the bicycle performer from both years of our Cirque Imagine, both years of Cirque Ambiente at Canada's Wonderland, and this year's CI at Kings Dominion, has announced on Instagram that he will be performing for Cirque du Soleil in 2017. I don't think he's officially said which show he'll be performing in. I wish him the best, and I hope I will have the opportunity to see whatever show he's in next year.

Several of the performers from Imagine are/have performing/performed in a Cirque du Soleil show this year.  Trevor's is a yet to be developed show...a name hasn't even been developed yet.

We really have been blessed with amazing talent in these Cirque shows - every performer is Cirque du Soleil material (most have already performed on that stage in their career already) and guests get to watch it free with park admission.

• Like 3

Saw my first Origins show last Sunday, and was beyond impressed.  Amazing.  Would anyone happen to know if these performers are primarily locals to the Cincy area, or are these folks brought in for the season from places all over?

They are not from the Cincy area.  AT ALL.  Most are from Canada (many of them French speaking), with some from Las Vegas and elsewhere.  Many went to a circus school (4 year program) to develop their craft.

Most have travelled the world performing.  Many of the trampoline performers in our Cirque shows were in Nationals for gymnastics and many were Olympic material.

Amazing talent brought in to a regional park.  Many will pay upwards of over $200 to watch one Cirque du Soleil show with many performers from our two seasons of Imagine.  And ours is free with park admission.

• Like 5

The show is put together by Les Productions Haut-Vol out of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Cedar Fair has evidently contracted them to provide shows to several of their parks.

Per several of the performers' Facebook pages, most of them are also from Quebec. A few are from the US, but not many. Most of them are bilingual in French and English--if you saw Cirque Imagine, almost all of the spoken lines were in French. Earlier in the season, the two purple "ferrets" spoke a lot of French, but a lot of what they say is in English now.

EDIT: What he said.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!  I wasn't sure...didn't know if Cirque came in and trained local talent, or brought their own.  Last Sunday was my first Cirque experience of any kind besides random youtube videos and commercials.  Wasn't sure how all the pieces fit together down to these smaller shows.

Several of the performers, including Mike himself, are reporting on Instagram that Monday was Mike's (a.k.a. Paco's) last day at Origins. He is leaving a week early to head back to Canada. He was definitely one of my favorites, which is going to make seeing my last shows of Origins this year a little sadder. But, I wish him the best! :)

I do wonder how they'll handle the opening part before the show starts without him, though. Would they actually bring someone else in for the last five days of performances...?

Yes, the replacement was already in town and practicing with them on Monday. Very curious to see the show today!

That means that barring anything unexpected this week, "Suspenders" is the only person who has been in the show the entire season. Everyone else is either a replacement of an earlier act and/or performer, or in the case of our juggler and rope walker, were temporarily replaced themselves during the season.

• Like 3

Just so you know, I "liked" your post as it is interesting to me, not because I like another change in the show. Also, I forget which one is "Suspenders". I know who Jorge and Sam/Yannick are (the other "gnomes"), but don't remember what Suspenders looks like.

I feel awful, when I was talking about which performers have been there the whole season, I left out Levi, the drummer. Other than a day of very flat shows when he was out, he's been there driving the show from the very beginning.

a2b26e6f0ae160bf072b99a5d8edb2c9.jpg

I've been enjoying "getting to know" the new Packo. As one young fan is fond of noting: "he's loud!" He has a lot more boisterous personality than the man he replaced. But, it has made it very clear to me how much their looks are defined by the hood and the makeup. Some of the pics I have taken, I wouldn't realize weren't the original performer if I didn't know better.

e1f1ff2a36c64bcc13733169eafd5c4e.jpg

But, when he smiles he looks a fair amount different

a999ee1f9c6c663b2b9b8fcc09daf5b5.jpg

• Like 4

At Saturday's 3:30 show Princess Sparkles was picked to go on stage. I appreciate people who took and sent pics to me since my seat was further back and not in the best place for taking pics and I didn't want to get in the way of others seeing the show.

The painting is much larger than I thought (as are the apes you can win in Coney Mall) it would be. Thanks to OhioColts mom (her screen name escapes me right now) who helped me get it home Sunday.

After speaking with the lovely people in Guest Services, I was told by them out of all the shows only one time was the painting not picked up. Pretty cool that so many people picked them up.

Once we get it hung up I will have to post pics.

3b902f3bc80e5fbbd0c57147b3daf211.jpg

Courtesy of Jeff O. (Used with permission, but had to omit last name).

af05e58183d0341d2c72c2f1ab0cbe3e.jpg

Courtesy of Jeff O. (Used with permission, but had to omit last name).

445e887830ec6e5520ba1fd89624e906.jpg

Courtesy of Don Helbig.

• Like 6

Sad? Not really. 5-10 is still a minimal amount considering the amount of shows that were done, how large the painting is, etc. Transporting home could be an issue. I don't know if arrangements can be made to have it sent home by other means is possible. Traveling long distance, smaller car with a lot of people would play into that number. We live close to the park compared to many if not most and had to have help getting it home.

So 5-10 is still impressive.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 4