FLASH: SeaWorld To END Orca Breeding, Phase Out Shows

I think this is far and away the best choice they could've made.

The presence of captive orcas is controversial enough to overshadow the very real, very good work that SeaWorld does as an organization. It was also enough to overshadow that the parks they run are among the best zoological institutions out there in my opinion. 

And I've admitted, even many SeaWorld supporters like me have been able to take a step back during this ongoing discussion and see that the choreographed orca shows – while well-disguised as celebrations of power and strength – really were remnants of a bygone era.

I don't know if this change will bring back anyone who adamantly rallied against SeaWorld (many of whom no doubt opted to go to their local AZA park instead, because that's "better"). I just hope that SeaWorld can reverse its fortunes enough to outlive the last of its orcas and come out of this. I think it's very important and intentional that they're not leaving the breeding behind begrudgingly. (Remember when San Diego said they could have their new tank IFF SeaWorld agreed to stop breeding whales, and SeaWorld sued in response? Great for the public image). Instead of whining and arguing to the last, their language is "As society’s understanding of orcas continues to change, SeaWorld is changing with it." That's the right conclusion for them to have drawn in my mind, and the right foot to put forward.

While the breeding stops today and orca shows change very, very soon, this is a VERY long-term solution in my mind. Which is fine. Because the short term solution is Mako, for example: building really great thrill parks with complimentary, high quality zoological elements that will make SeaWorld MORE than a just a very good, very controversial zoo with an entry fee 10x that of your local zoo.

• Like 9

I must admit that I am surprised they have finally chosen to go this route.  They had taken such an opposition to the getting rid of Orcas idea that I felt they were willing to die on their sword rather than give up their precious cash cows no matter the public opinion.  Yet here we are and they are saying all the right things and seem to be doing them as well.  Shame it took them this long to respond in this manner and how the outcome might have been different if they would have responded to Blackfish in a manner like this.  I would imagine this phase out will take 15-20 years with the Orcas they have in captivity.  I also wonder if they will truly celebrate these animals during this time or push them to an isolated corner of the park?

I want to say well done SeaWorld but I am still leaning towards its about time...  Times are changing my friends

• Like 6

I am confused with this decision, didn't they plan and are already in the process of building new tanks for these orca's? If they don't plan on keeping them then why don't they just condition them for release and then do so?

I am confused with this decision, didn't they plan and are already in the process of building new tanks for these orca's? If they don't plan on keeping them then why don't they just condition them for release and then do so?

Because they have been raised in captivity, they have never developed the skills and instincts necessary to survive in the wild, therefore release to the wild would be a death sentence. This is true of virtually any animal born and raised in captivity.

So they are keeping the orcas; they just aren't breeding them any more, meaning that when the generation they currently own dies, then that will be it for SeaWorld having orcas in captivity. Until then, they will continue to have orcas out of necessity.

• Like 8

Exactly, They still need more space for them really. Plus one of them is currently pregnant, and an orca can live for nearly 30 years. So there is still potentially decades before they will be without them. Plus there is always the chance that the new tanks could be used for rehabilitation for wild Orcas that are injured to heal and regain strength for release back into the wild. So while they might not breed them anymore they could still have them on display for educational and zoological/rehabilitation purpose for many years to come

• Like 8

^ I would bet big money that SeaWorld will not take an orca from the wild for ANY reason or ANY amount of time ever again. Which is probably how it should be, for quite a few reasons.

Last we all heard, the Blue World project had stalled. Now we can imagine why. The stadiums will likely be removed. I wouldn't doubt that the existing pools will now be recast as large open tanks, perhaps with a few more scenic elements, but there's no reason to expand the way they had previously announced. Imagine taking your tabby cat or Labrador who's seen the outside world only through a window and letting them go in the middle of a dense forest. "Good luck!"

• Like 5

I mean I wouldn't see the rehab type thing happening for many years, likely after most if not all of their current Orcas are gone. At that point lots of time will have passed and if it is strictly for rehabilitation purposes with the intention to rerelease them as soon as possible I don't see how that would be viewed any differently than when zoos take in animals for rehab purposes.

• Like 1

I think it would be viewed differently than when zoos take in animals for rehab purposes. I don't know.  :wacko:

It's funny – so many people were touched by SeaWorld and their orca whales. When I wrote the feature on Geauga Lake that's been posted here, I expected at least SOME comments about SeaWorld and "good riddance" and "release the whales." Instead, overwhelmingly, of the 350+ comments, the most heartfelt are often from people recalling how incredible and moving and spectacular SeaWorld was to them. Not one mentions Blackfish or its legacy. Those people only remember how stunning SeaWorld and Shamu were to them. I think that's telling.

We're able to look at SeaWorld in hindsight and recognize that – for many of us – it's our first or only chance to see dolphins, whales, sharks, sea lions, otters, and walruses up close. We remember that. And presented with a closed SeaWorld park, we mourn the loss of those memories and experiences that we won't be able to share with our kids. Are the people who mourn Ohio's SeaWorld the same ones that would boycott the park today for its killer whales? Maybe... Maybe things just look different in retrospect. There's no point to be made here. Just thinking out loud.

• Like 8

Seaworld has not taken wild orcas and put them on display in the parks in decades, if ever. Seaworld Parks appears to have 22 Orcas total, only one of those 22 does it not list as being sent to a park other than Seaworld when they were taken from the wild. Most of the Seaworld Orcas were born in a park. The only whale that I see may have been taken from the wild for Seaworld was caught in 1978

• Like 2

I went on the Peta twitter feed and it's quite clear that they aren't finished with Seaworld yet. They won't be satisfied until they have freed every animal chain wide.

It will be interesting to see how Seaworld will adapt and change over the next couple of years. 

PETA will never be done.  I think it's interesting to point out how much of an opportunity Blackfish was for them to throw hate against SeaWorld.  PETA is against ALL animals in captivity.  They simply used this incident as fuel to start a fire with the major marine life "zoo" (i.e. SeaWorld).  The move on SeaWorld's part was sure a smart decision, it just proves that public opinion can change a company.  Especially a company that relies on people's loyalty to come back to its parks.

• Like 8

I went on the Peta twitter feed and it's quite clear that they aren't finished with Seaworld yet. They won't be satisfied until they have freed every animal chain wide.

It will be interesting to see how Seaworld will adapt and change over the next couple of years.

PETA will never be done.  I think it's interesting to point out how much of an opportunity Blackfish was for them to throw hate against SeaWorld.  PETA is against ALL animals in captivity.  They simply used this incident as fuel to start a fire with the major marine life "zoo" (i.e. SeaWorld).  The move on SeaWorld's part was sure a smart decision, it just proves that public opinion can change a company.  Especially a company that relies on people's loyalty to come back to its parks.

"all animals in captivity" wouldn't that include dogs and cats?
  • Like 1

Yes, they don't want people to have pets, either.

PETA co-founder and president Ingrid Newkirk has spoken out against people having pets saying, “Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation” and “In the end, I think it would be lovely if we stopped this whole notion of pets altogether.”

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/peta-hates-pet-ownership-kills-1456-cats-dogs-2015
  • Like 6

It really depends on how you look at animals as a whole, are they equal to man or here to serve man.

30 years ago it wasn't odd to see a dog live outside in an old crate or in a shed or in a barn or in a garage or a dog house. Very rarely were dogs "inside animals". Now if you did that people would call the police for animal cruelty. Yet the people who fight for animals can sometimes be the harshest and most uncaring for fellow humans.

It's terrible to know medicines or space ships or anything was experimented/created with test animals. On he other hand it helps us learn more and keep humans safe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Oh please, what's next on the chopping block, my fish tank?

SeaWorld is a place of conservation and education, they spark ideas on how incredible fish species are and how we need to keep them. Sea World takes care of their animals (for the most part) to the fullest extent possible. They are making up for the orca incident, but for all the other animals they look fine in their enclosures anyways.

• Like 4

Breeding in captivity is a very calculated and intentional affair (no pun intended). Artificial insemination, sample collection by trainers, close monitoring of ovulation cycles, etc. To not breed the whales is exactly that... to stop breeding them.

Funny enough, SeaWorld's argument when San Diego held breeding hostage was to say that it was downright inhumane to stop the whales from breeding, even if the way they were bred wasn't very natural at all. They seem to have changed their mind there.

• Like 5

I surmised that going after the small amount of orcas would open the door for PETA to campaign for the release of rest of the animals.

For some, it is never enough until they knock on my door to take my deaf 10 year old rescue dog and dump it on the Scottish Moors.

I belong to a club. When I go to a meeting, I arrive surly, say I'm tired, snap and bark at everyone until the meeting is over, and Certain People leave. Then I can be myself.

Why? Because there are always people that ask for more, and are never satisfied. Thrill Biscuit will tell you, once an artist does one logo as a favor, there are people will always ask, then demand, more. Once you refuse, you are The Villian.

Yes. You become Kurt Douglas.

I don't give The Entitled the excuse to 'catch me in a good mood' to mooch freebies from me. I can't give one thing, because then they will ask for a hundred more things

PETA was never going to be satisfied with a mere 30 orcas. The orcas were never really the prime target. They were just one step to a bigger agenda.

Control.

Added: I still want a stuffed toy Shamu.

Edited by Tanna
  • Like 6

If it will shut PETA up then its a good move in my opinion, maybe some more attendance will come in and show how great SEAS parks really are! I was talking to a kid whos parents work at Seaworld, apparently they feel betrayed but this is a good move in my opinion 

• Like 5