BGW 2017: Coaster Announced; YOU Choose the Name

I got the feeling this is aimed at families more than hard core thrill seekers, so the 48 mph seems reasonable.

I dunno- while it will probably have some family appeal, 48mph can be plenty fast for a wooden coaster if it designed correctly. Raven at Holiday World has the same top speed according to RCDB, and I do not hesitate to call that a thrill ride because it feels closer to 60mph. (It even scared the daylights out of my best friend's now wife when she rode it) It at points felt out of control and had lots of airtime. So if this new woodie does the same, it will catch people off guard who underestimate it because it is small.

• Like 5

In today's age of Giga and Strata coasters, it's easy to forget that the vast majority of coasters out there travel well below highway speeds. And this is purely anecdotal and I haven't done the research to get a solid number, but it seems in my experience that a height in the 100-150 foot range is pretty average for major coasters anymore, especially wooden ones. With that in mind, I don't think height or speed on this are really that far below what you'd see on a wooden coaster being built anywhere else. The two GCIs that I've most recently ridden (Renegade and Thunderhead) are right at the 100 foot mark and are two of my absolute favorites. 74 feet isn't really that much different.

Plus, BGW is not a flat park at all. Depending on how the new coaster uses the terrain, the difference between its high and low points could be much more than that 74 foot initial drop.

• Like 6

^Agreed. I didn't mean to call the ride tame, just that they weren't trying to build El Toro or T-Express here.

With BBW gone there is a bit of a gap in their coaster lineup in terms of height restriction. Even Verbolten's is 48" if I remember correctly. They could use a ride that would bridge the gap and let families with kids in that 42-47" experience together.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As when annual passholders were told that the then-unnamed family launch coaster would be Black Forest Turbo, Autobahn Express, or Verbolten, I suspect that Busch Gardens already had the marketing material with the Invadr logo ready. "Crowd-sourced" in the same way that Disney's exit polls are open-ended: Was your day A) spectacular B ) magical C) unforgettable or D) all of the above?

I wish they would've had a preliminary round where fans could submit their own ideas. The Norwegian word for Invader is "Inntrenger." A trade-mark-able version would've made a really great coaster name. Or "Attakkere," the Norwegian word for Attack.

Ah well. Invader it is. 

• Like 6

Apparently there are surprises yet to come which will likewise be determined by fans using "various surveys and means of participation."

The continued emphasis on joining the battle between the citizens of New France and the invading Vikings (via the website, the video below, and the name option Battle Klash) give the impression that A) this is a dual track dueling / racing wooden coaster (which wouldn't be unheard of given their sister park had Gwazi by the same manufacturer, though the few CGI still photos released don't show it as such) or B ) virtual reality will be used with the option to somehow select if you're a Viking or a townsperson. Thing is, VR + wooden coaster doesn't sound right to me... Well, the park promises more information and more fan choices to come so we'll see...

EDIT: Interestingly enough, in the news this week: a previously undiscovered Viking settlement may have been found in Canada by means of space archaeology... it's a thing! Read here.

• Like 4

According to Screamscape, InvadR will be re-using Gwazi's trains along with the lift chain and other accessories. I'm pretty stoked they decide to re-use the trains so that we can ride a piece of history (as Gwazi is an "Edge of the Millennium" coaster (1999))! :D

EDIT: Link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/busch_gardens_williamsburg.htm

EDIT2: I don't think the lift chain is actually being used, but other parts of Gwazi are; my apologies.

• Like 1

If they even considered (let alone selected) fan-submitted ideas, ownership of the chosen name could become a problem. It's much simpler to have people vote between names that they already own.

Most companies don't consider product ideas submitted by customers.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Ah, the wonderful time of the year, the IAAPA trade show.  I am surprised we haven`t heard/seen more out of Orlando and the IAAPA show this year.

One of these years, I will get down there and experience it.  My boss at Coney was surprised to find I have never been down there when I was having dinner with him last week.  It is on my list of things to eventually do.

• Like 1

Ah, the wonderful time of the year, the IAAPA trade show.  I am surprised we haven`t heard/seen more out of Orlando and the IAAPA show this year.

One of these years, I will get down there and experience it.  My boss at Coney was surprised to find I have never been down there when I was having dinner with him last week.  It is on my list of things to eventually do.

I have a feeling why we haven't heard/seen more out of IAAPA this year is due to companies sharing information more on Social Media than at the Trade Show. :/