Tower of Terror to receive new Guardians of the Galaxy theme?

http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2015/04/27/guardians-of-the-galaxy-overhaul-coming-to-tower-of-terror

http://insightsandsounds.blogspot.com/2016/03/guardians-of-galaxy-take-over-twilight.html

You didn't read that incorrectly. A rumored re-theme of one of the most beloved rides ever built. It's sadly not even really a rumor. From my understanding it actually has a decent chance of happening. 

I'm sorry but I have to rant to make myself feel better. The amount of corporate greed coming from the Walt Disney Company is mind blowing. Removing tons of rides, cutting operational costs, adding cheap overlays to old rides and milking them to death all well increasing the gate price is down right disgusting and an insult to the legacy that Walt Disney left behind.

Now they want to take one of the most beloved attractions of all time and give it a new overlay. I thought the Frozen redo at EPCOT was bad enough. This is awful on so many levels. And the fact that they would rather gut a beloved attraction to save time and maximize profit instead of giving it an attraction of its own is a sign of the sheer greediness that is the current Walt Disney Company.  

I hope and pray that this doesn't get green lit. It would be a very dark day for the industry. It sickens me that this is even a thought. 

Sorry End Rant... Thoughts? 

• Like 5

Your first link somehow got a non-breaking space character appended, thereby ironically breaking it. :P Correct link: http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2015/04/27/guardians-of-the-galaxy-overhaul-coming-to-tower-of-terror

With that out of the way... stupid. Just stupid. This is completely not necessary, and downright ridiculous. Slowly but surely, I keep getting pushed to Universal for my next Florida trip, whenever that ends up being. Things like this are the reason why.

• Like 3

Just wondering why people act like Uni didn't do this exact same thing? If only there was a time machine in the park....

This appears to be a crazy rumor that (no offense) appeared on a fan forum by what I assume is an anonymous poster. He may be Bob Iger himself or some guy/gal posting things from the parents' basement hoping for likes. More likely someone who has been around and maybe knows a few people but this isn't a respectable or a less respectable site, it's a poster with no known leads-only a few correct things from the past he was right (and wrong about).

2. Guardians was a big film but it's not what I would call a big name product in the Marvel Universe either cinematic or comic. The odds of this getting done based on those characters are slightly less than crazy. (However what with ToT had an Xmen or Avengers theme, that'd be cool).

3. Let's look at this objectively from a history of the park. As seen on other blogs people state (and so does bestdayever) that the park is greedy and goes against the legacy of Walt. Would that be the legacy of trying to bring things to people so they could experience moments that they want to be part of? Cheap overlays, yeah I'll give you that it does suck in some instances. Increasing the gate price? You either avoid over crowded cheap products/parks or you increase gate prices. You can't have it both ways. Also I guess I missed the removal of a ton of rides. Unless you speak about for the expansion of the park. Then yeah sure?

Also EPCOT is the 4th park. Little to do, little to experience. The average park goer in the next 5-10 years will not need EPCOT to experience things from around the world. The Internet has given and killed so much. Knowledge is one of these things. Sorry to speak so harshly about EPCOT but without corporate sponsors the worlds are not much. Disney has to do something. And Frozen being there is no different than Belle in France.

4. ToT is based on an older product (Twilight Zone). Many of the park goers probably have not seen it or if they did don't remember much from it. It first aired till 64 then was revived briefly for 4 years in the 80s (with a movie) and again in 2002. Maybe a new movie is coming out. Does the ride have staying power sure it does. But at the same time, what happens if they change the over lay, and give it a new life. Rides change. Heck some on this board want RMC to come take a look at a few woodies in the Mason area, but this gets the hairs on end?

Look at the end of the day who cares? Who really cares if Johnny Depp is added to Pirates? Does it really ruin your trip that much? Who cares if they Change the overlay and it allows some kid the moment to meet Star Lord, his favorite movie hero. Does the Overlay change ruin the memories you have of the park? When Uni removed Kong or Jaws did it take away from the rides you took and watching the captain shoot the shark? I missed riding in the Delorian chasing Biff but it was fun being immersed in the Simpsons ride.

Things change. Don't let something like this ruin your opportunity to make memories. Because I promise you that in 50 years you won't care 1 ounce about the theme of a ride and what happened to it. You will care about the good and the memories made. You will remember something silly like a friend calling your name and it's the last moment you have of them. Or you will remember the first moment you flew into your favorite book/movie series on a wooden bench.

Kevin Smith says you don't have to curse the darkness to praise the light. Things will change. Go get a last ride in when you can but remember it's not about credits, or following Walts legacy. Walt wanted families to come enjoy themselves and to spend money. If Disney isn't your thing go and make memories at Uni. If you love Star Wars then the new areas will make your day. If not you will feel it was a waste.

We live in a time where it's cool to complain and curse things because it's different or it's not what "I want" or the "way I remember it." Cars also have power windows and locks now too, if we always looked to the past and said yup it's good enough our cars would be cranked to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

^ I smell a Disney fanboy. "Just wondering why people act like Uni didn't do this exact same thing?"  

Here's the thing though, Universal doesn't change one of their most popular rides....

This would arguably be, by FAR, the WORST decision in the entire theme/amusement park industry.  Baffles me that such a rumor would even be created. If this turned out to be legitimate, Disney lost my business, along with 20+ other million people. What a joke. Tower of Terror is one of the world's most cherished thrill rides, and the Orlando version was the first and best. 

• Like 3

At $100/head, one might hope they could build new attractions instead of putting "overlays" on classic rides. Especially at a park that is already short on things to do.

If this happens, I'd probably need to figure a way to get back to FL before the original ride closes.

• Like 8

^ I smell a Disney fanboy. "Just wondering why people act like Uni didn't do this exact same thing?"

Here's the thing though, Universal doesn't change one of their most popular rides....

This would arguably be, by FAR, the WORST decision in the entire theme/amusement park industry. Baffles me that such a rumor would even be created. If this turned out to be legitimate, Disney lost my business, along with 20+ other million people. What a joke. Tower of Terror is one of the world's most cherished thrill rides, and the Orlando version was the first and best.

Thanks for taking the time and looking at my entire post. Your comment really helped move the conversation along and really helped add a new layer of insight to the conversation. Well done. Keep it up!

Yeah I'm a Disney fan and a Universal fan. Go back reread the whole thing chief. Honestly, I couldn't care less if you agree or disagree. It's the fact that you overlooked the entire post to focus on one sentence. And then didn't even really dispute it, just attempted, poorly, to take a personal dig by using the term fanboy. You must be a real hit at parties and people must enjoy your "either agree with me or I'll lob insults" attitude. high five kiddo!

• Like 3

Most of the stuff I've been seeing for this rumor/concept has been saying that it is for just DCA and Disney Studios in Paris. While I'm sure they have contemplated it for WDW as well I just don't see them changing one of their most iconic attractions, especially with all of the other changes coming to the park already. While I don't like the idea of changing the others either, they aren't as well loved and are pretty weak rides in comparison to the WDW version. They are truly just a fancy Drop Tower, whereas the one in Florida is an outstanding and unique ride.

• Like 1

I looked at the POV video, and can definately see a possible GOTG refit.

With some boss music and Chris Pratt smarting off, it could freshen up.

We're getting older, and these new people keep getting born, and from my experience, they switch the channel when Twilight Zone comes on.

It was a great show back in the day, but really, who sits theough those marathons now.

A sequel to GOTG is coming up, and Rocket is Beroved Helo to many chirrun.

• Like 3

This is a rumor on a Disney fan site and nothing more.  I love how everyone is tearing Disney apart over a rumor, because that makes sense.  Geesh Screamscape doesn't generate this kind of heat.  Also the timelines are completely bogus with the facts ToyStory and StarWars lands will be well under construction during this potential new ride installation.  I highly doubt any of this.

Call me a fan boy if you want and that's fine, but over the past few years Disney has brought some great new attractions online and many are on the way with the massive amounts of construction around the property.  Those that complain that Disney has removed rides or closed certain things for new rides are the same ones that would complain if Disney and point to Universal as to how it should be done.  

Once again this is just a rumor and nothing more.  Put the pitchforks down before you hurt yourself.

• Like 11

I really, really hope that this is just a rumor. Tower of Terror has probably some of the best theming of any Disney park attraction. Guardians of the Galaxy does not fit into the Hollywood Studios theme at all. The only thing that would probably be worse is if they tear down the Haunted Mansion.

This got me thinking...with the success of Zootopia, do you suppose Disney would re-theme Splash Mountain to a Zootopia theme? Talk about angering some folks.  It's always interested me that one of the Magic Kingdom's most popular rides is based on a movie that will never be released by the Walt Disney Company.  I bet you most kids of a certain age and younger don't even know that it's actually based on a movie. 

I'm totally against re-theming popular rides,  just sayin.  I was livid when I found out that Maelstrom was becoming 'Frozen Ever After' and IF (that's a big 'IF') Disney decides to add a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay to The Tower of Terror, I will be even more disappointed. 

I'm a very nostalgic type person, and I like it when older rides/attractions are left in place to preserve the history of theme parks.  I'm the type of person who keeps their fingers crossed hoping the Carousel of Progress remains intact.  I understand that popularity of rides fade and sometimes you have to make the hard decision to either re-theme, or pull the plug on it altogether.  However, if rides are still popular, just leave them alone.  If you think you'd also like a ride based on a more current property, then just build something new.  That's easy enough, right?

We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out for Tower of Terror.  Oh and by the way, the first sentence of this post is based on nothing.  Please don't accuse me of starting a rumor.  I merely wondered if any others could see this as a possibility based on the way things are going down there.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

Sadly this is more than a rumor. I know you don't believe these articles but this has substance. It was leaked by a poster on WDWMagic whose information is sadly... usually accurate. Thankfully after reading it it seems that it is more likely to only happen to the tower at Disneyland as part of larger Marvel land. But it is still a possibility in Florida. I copied the link to that thread, it's on the third page as well as some interesting info on Disney Shanghai.  

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/marvel-coming-to-wdw.911512/

Of course this is nothing official and things can always change.

Now. Rant mode. Skip if you wish to not be excited. 

The one thing that amazes me to this date is that some people are just incapable of criticizing Disney. I have no problem with re theming an old attraction as long as it is time for the old attraction to go and is tastefully done. Frozen in the world pavilion? Not very tasteful, but I'll survive. Guardians of the Galaxy to take over a timeless classic that people still love and adore. Disgraceful. I mean for heavens sake what does a space adventure film have to do with a run away elevator in a hotel from the 1930's? REALLY? I honestly want to know how deep in Pixie Dust I have to be before I see this as a good idea. 

And yeah people point to Universal because guess what? Universal is doing it RIGHT. Could you imagine if Universal decided to re theme the Jaws attraction to Harry Potter when they decided to expand? I'd be less upset if they decided to bulldoze Tower of Terror and then build a new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction in that space. Still upset that WDW is loosing a classic attraction but at least they wouldn't be pinching pennies at this point. 

And no I'm not saying all of this because I'm trying to praise Universal at the expense of Disney. I'm a fan of both. I'm criticizing Disney because I believe that this is worth criticizing. I don't want to be a jerk. And I know that I shouldn't really be getting upset until it is official. But this upsets me. I adore this attraction and the fact that this is even being considered disturbs me.

End of Rant

• Like 4

You are criticizing Disney over a rumor.  Criticize over pricing, proposed resort fees and staffing changes at the resorts (which is having a greater effect than the levels in the parks) That's the point, it is still a rumor.  A concept discussion that was thrown around and never meant for the internet rumor mongering, yet here it is.  Then again Disney puruist loose their mind when Cinnamon Rolls and Turkey Legs are messed with.  

• Like 3

This got me thinking...with the success of Zootopia, do you suppose Disney would re-theme Splash Mountain to a Zootopia theme? Talk about angering some folks. It's always interested me that one of the Magic Kingdom's most popular rides is based on a movie that will never be released by the Walt Disney Company. I bet you most kids of a certain age and younger don't even know that it's actually based on a movie.

I'm totally against re-theming popular rides, just sayin. I was livid when I found out that Maelstrom was becoming 'Frozen Ever After' and IF (that's a big 'IF') Disney decides to add a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay to The Tower of Terror, I will be even more disappointed.

I'm a very nostalgic type person, and I like it when older rides/attractions are left in place to preserve the history of theme parks. I'm the type of person who keeps their fingers crossed hoping the Carousel of Progress remains intact. I understand that popularity of rides fade and sometimes you have to make the hard decision to either re-theme, or pull the plug on it altogether. However, if rides are still popular, just leave them alone. If you think you'd also like a ride based on a more current property, then just build something new. That's easy enough, right?

We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out for Tower of Terror. Oh and by the way, the first sentence of this post is based on nothing. Please don't accuse me of starting a rumor. I merely wondered if any others could see this as a possibility based on the way things are going down there. Just a thought.

I understand you completely. I have a madness towards Bill Tracy dark rides, and there are so few of them left.

I loved the look and feel and zaniness of them.

I must say in retrospect, and in remembering, a Tracy dark ride wouldn't work today. We know too much.

Refitting a ride over building a new ride might be a simple case of dollar in vs. dollar out.

Building in a theme park, I would think, is a lot tougher logistically than regular construction.

At KI, people were sent a comb, and viola, there's this beautiful roller coaster where a matchstick pile was stood, but we watched here in this forum the path to that- the tearing down of the SOB, (though we didn't see the behind the scenes budget and paperwork and catering to laws), We didn't see the meetings where the logistics of this new coaster were disussed- it had to fit a certain space, it had to comply with standards and laws, a crew to build it, paychecks, negotiations, etc..

The list of dogwork goes on.

Theme parks have a finite space.

Besides, what will make me, the customer, go to Disney? What will make me look at that saved dough I have and think, "This will be worth it?" I'll not joke, I love Marvel movies. Besides the fact that my husband and I get introduced at parties as "Rocket and Groot", I love GOTG.

If I had a kid, I'd more likely spend that cash I'd been so stingy about on making a memory for that kid... Who would probably identify with a ride themed after GOtG than a show designed to be watched after Matlock.

• Like 3

You are criticizing Disney over a rumor. Criticize over pricing, proposed resort fees and staffing changes at the resorts (which is having a greater effect than the levels in the parks) That's the point, it is still a rumor. A concept discussion that was thrown around and never meant for the internet rumor mongering, yet here it is. Then again Disney puruist loose their mind when Cinnamon Rolls and Turkey Legs are messed with.

Right? There is so much to actually be upset about than a rumor when it comes to Disney.

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around the faux anger being thrown about over this. The ride would essentially be the same right? Just the cut scenes instead of traveling down the space/twilight hallway/corridor you would be traveling not in the hall way of the collector? Maybe seeing the things he has collected over the year? Then be thrown up and down? Essentially the same ride different story? Indiana Jones versus the Dino ride?

If this ruins your child hood or memories I fee bad for you. That your memories can be ruined by something new. Time moves on. It's inevitable.

Also when compared earlier To Universal they did the same thing with Back to the Future but changed the screen play and the out side theme to be the Simpsons. Or when they Just returned Dueling Dragons to the HP dragon ride. The ride is just as good (or bad depending on views) as it was before. Just a dif skin.

• Like 6

You're right. I shouldn't criticize Disney over a rumor. 

That being said I'm still incredibly upset that WDI would consider doing something like this. It also doesn't change the fact that this would be the single biggest mistake ever made in the history of the Disney Parks company. I'm not the only one who loves this attraction. It is still loved and adored by millions of people. Almost everyone I've talked to think it's the best ride at Disney World. You should read what Disney fans have been posting about this. The fallout they will receive will be unlike anything you've ever seen.

And yes I understand that Universal did the same thing with Back to the Future. But these conversions are two completely different animals. Back to the Future, while a wonderful attraction, was reaching the end of it's life span and had decreasing popularity. Tower of Terror is nowhere near that point, nor do I think it will reach that point for many years. When Back to the Future was redone it was done tastefully. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Back to the Future was a simulator and you can do a lot with a simulator. A run away elevator ride in a haunted hotel makes no sense for a property that takes place in Outer Space. Like I said a conversion like this would be like Universal giving Jaws a Harry Potter layover instead of giving us Diagon Alley. It doesn't make any sense.  

But you know what if Disney wants to shoot themselves in the foot then they can be my guest. I've moved on because Comcast realized that they'll still make a ton of cash by giving us what we want. And 20 + years from now when Universal has surpassed Disney as the world's most visited and recognized park chain and Disney is wondering what the heck happened I'll point to this moment. The moment were Disney Said "we would rather maximize profits rather than build amazing new experiences." 

That is of course if it happens. And nothing is set in stone yet. 

OK, here's my opinion.

Tower of Terror, regardless of Twilight Zone being old and outdated, should not be changed. The ride does not hinge on guests' knowledge of the Twilight Zone. It works well as a standalone ride. And, yes, actually, changing it would be bad. It would definitely make the ride much different. Tower of Terror is scary, eerie, and very well themed. Guardians of the Galaxy taking it over would no doubt make it into a funny, cheesy, and colorful ride. It would ruin it. Tower of Terror could be there for thirty more years with the Twilight Zone theme and I don't believe it would really matter. 

On the other side of things, I think we're going a little to tough on the "pixie dust snorters". Being a fan of Disney is not being a "fanboy". I love Disney just as much as Universal( well, maybe not as much). Universal has also made very controversial decisions. The destruction of Jaws was met with a lot of outcry. I know even I was somewhat upset when Disaster and Twister closed so they can open a Jimmy Fallon (uh, why?) and the Fast and Furious ride. Disney has done the same things, but I actually believe they've done it much less than Universal, at least recently. Disney has maintained a lot of its traditional, classic rides. 

Oh, and also, Universal has the whole Harry Potter craze going too far. I'm really hoping they don't get rid of the Lost Continent in order to make way for more Harry Potter expansions.

But I do, really, plead that this rumor is completely false. Input Guardians of the Galaxy somewhere else, please!

• Like 4

Does Disney license the TZ brand? If they do I would wonder if that has anything to do with this even being considered.

To bestdayever who se me from his posts on this site seem to be a troll (but I could be wrong) if you read the link it stated it would be one of the collectors old mansions. So as not to have to change much on the outside. Which could be good or bad.

And with any ride your going to have some people upset. The risk is will the new ride have more people happy than upset if something were to change. DHS is no longer the park it was. It's going to be radically radically different in about 5-10 years.

And JC I agree I worry about the Lost Continent and the over taking of HP of both parks.

• Like 2