Tower of Terror to receive new Guardians of the Galaxy theme?

I'm a little dumbfounded that there is animosity between Disney fans and people who prefer non-Disney parks to the point that Disney fans are called "pixie dust snorters." We all are fans of an industry whose main purpose, outside of making money, is for people to have fun. Different people like different organizations' means of creating fun. Meanwhile, millions of people are too busy trying to not die each year from lack of clean water to argue over which park chain they like better. Have some perspective on what's worth getting that upset over. Goodness.

Anyway, I'm unperturbed about a potential GotG redo on Tower of Terror. I've yet to ride a ToT, so it is what it is. I'm not particularly surprised--while I did enjoy the Disney parks I've visited, they seem to have more of a focus on their newest, most popular individual characters and properties than on unique experiences. And really, I can't fault them. How many people go to Disney with the kiddos for a ride on Haunted Mansion? Compare that to the number of people who post pictures of their kids with Elsa and/or Anna and/or Hiro (etc.) on social media. Given the crowds that Disney handles and the demand for meet-and-greet experiences, it's a matter of reputation for them to offer as many character- or film-specific experiences as possible. (And before someone accuses me of being a "pixie dust snorter" myself: Universal is just as guilty. See the Potter areas, Skull Island: Reign of Kong, the reopened Jurassic World dinosaur meet-and-greet, the rumored Nintendo area, and so on.) It's sad at times that that is the name of the game when experiences like Maelstrom and Merlin's Woods in The Lost Continent are lost in the process, but that's how it works.

Guardians of the Galaxy did well at the box office, and I would assume that its characters are not available for use at Universal's parks. It only makes sense that Disney would make use of it. It's just unfortunate that an apparently beloved ride would get changed because of it.

• Like 9

I love ToT, but I can't say I'd be all that outraged if it were converted to a GotG theme. I have no doubt it'd still be a great ride.

Now the changes they made to Alien Encounter (now Stitch) and Journey to Imagination are unforgivable. Maelstrom to Frozen remains to be seen; I guarantee I personally won't like it as much as Maelstrom but I can understand why they're converting it. The lines for that ride are going to be ridiculous lol.

As for shark's comments about Epcot, I agree while disagreeing at the same time. It could certainly use some TLC, especially the Future World side, but for my family of 4 adults, it might be our most looked forward to park for our upcoming trip. I've never been during Flower and Garden, but I've heard nothing but good things. Plus I love the older, more relaxed rides that bring the nostalgia factor, like Spaceship Earth and Living With the Land.

If you have younger children though, I can see how it'd only be like a half day park.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Ok I'd like to apologize to everyone if I got too excited about this. I do get excited about things easily and I enjoy debating. I'm not a fan of this idea and I guess I got to excited in the moment. It's not fair that I'm getting so upset about something that hasn't even been confirmed. So once again I apologize if I upset anyone. I'm a passionate guy and heavily opinionated about a lot of stuff (and for the record I do enjoy the Disney parks) 

• Like 1

This is the most absurd rumor I've read in a very long time, clearly invented just to see how far it would travel.

A 1930s pueblo deco hotel rethemed a science fiction superhero ride. C'mon folks. It would be more cost effective to just build a new ride from scratch.

• Like 9

This is the most absurd rumor I've read in a very long time, clearly invented just to see how far it would travel.

A 1930s pueblo deco hotel rethemed a science fiction superhero ride. C'mon folks. It would be more cost effective to just build a new ride from scratch.

Or retheme a nearby ride that would probably be much easier to remodel.

I love ToT, but I can't say I'd be all that outraged if it were converted to a GotG theme. I have no doubt it'd still be a great ride.

Now the changes they made to Alien Encounter (now Stitch) and Journey to Imagination are unforgivable. Maelstrom to Frozen remains to be seen; I guarantee I personally won't like it as much as Maelstrom but I can understand why they're converting it. The lines for that ride are going to be ridiculous lol.

As for shark's comments about Epcot, I agree while disagreeing at the same time. It could certainly use some TLC, especially the Future World side, but for my family of 4 adults, it might be our most looked forward to park for our upcoming trip. I've never been during Flower and Garden, but I've heard nothing but good things. Plus I love the older, more relaxed rides that bring the nostalgia factor, like Spaceship Earth and Living With the Land.

If you have younger children though, I can see how it'd only be like a half day park.

I would be upset if the WDW was changed just since it is such a unique attraction and fits into the theme of that area of the park so well. But I suppose if they redid that entire section of the park and did a fantastic overlay it wouldn't be as bad, but feels unneeded. However having ridden the one at DCA I don't feel it would be that huge of a loss really. I enjoyed the ride and it was fun but it's really just a standard Drop Tower experience and it is at the very end of the street so could easily be annexed into a new Marvel land. And as has been suggested for a theme it wouldn't even need to change much, just be similar story to Tokyo Disney Sea with the Collector's place/collection versus Lord Henry Mystic's.

I would be upset if the WDW was changed just since it is such a unique attraction and fits into the theme of that area of the park so well. But I suppose if they redid that entire section of the park and did a fantastic overlay it wouldn't be as bad, but feels unneeded. However having ridden the one at DCA I don't feel it would be that huge of a loss really. I enjoyed the ride and it was fun but it's really just a standard Drop Tower experience and it is at the very end of the street so could easily be annexed into a new Marvel land. And as has been suggested for a theme it wouldn't even need to change much, just be similar story to Tokyo Disney Sea with the Collector's place/collection versus Lord Henry Mystic's.
I disagree about it being a standard Drop Tower experience. I haven't been to nearly as many parks as you veterans on this site, but to me it seems pretty unique. Doesn't it have a random drop sequence? I've personally never been on a Drop Tower ride like it.

• Like 2

I disagree about it being a standard Drop Tower experience. I haven't been to nearly as many parks as you veterans on this site, but to me it seems pretty unique. Doesn't it have a random drop sequence? I've personally never been on a Drop Tower ride like it.

The one in California doesn't have a random drop sequence, but I would call the four Towers of Terror dark rides before I'd call them Drop Towers. And in that category, they rank among the best in the world. The best in the opinions of many.

Maybe thegajone could write off turning the extensively, deeply themed exterior and queue into a futuristic alien collector's tower (why does he have a tower again?) but I couldn't. That would be something like saying, "Well, Indiana Jones Adventure could be a Star Wars ride when you really think about it. Just turn the Temple of the Forbidden Eye into a Jedi Temple" or "Space Mountain could easily be an Indiana Jones ride. Just stop projecting stars and add plants all over the place." To turn a 200-foot-tall 1930s grand Hollywood hotel in the park's Hollywoodland  / Sunset Blvd. that's packed with detail and extravagence into a futuristic tower owned by an alien oddities collector? And why would an elevator be involved? Nonsense.

• Like 3

One could easily argue Disney's biggest mistake was hiring Ron Miller, who just about ran Uncle Walt's empire into the ground, until Eisner rescued them.  Also, see Euro Disney, nee Disneyland Paris.  The french did not want a theme park on the outskirts of the famed City of Lights and it showed attendance wise for well over a decade.  Don't forget Disney's Americana as well. And yes, the Twilight Zone is licensed by Disney for the rides and merch.  I was on the College Program down there during construction, so I saw this ride go from a pile of dirt to opening during my time there.  Having seen its construction first-hand, I can safely say it is an incredible piece of engineering that was far ahead of its time.  IMO, it remains the best-themed ride throughout all the parks.

• Like 8

Even I -- as an ardent fan of Disneyland over Walt Disney World -- admit that their tower is technically more impressive. 

For those who haven't been on either / both, in Florida the elevator begins in a show shaft where it rises to view two show scenes. In the second, the elevator advances horizontally out of the shaft and moves forward through a show scene before entering a drop shaft at the front of the building. There are four show shafts sharing two drop shafts. Because the show scenes occur "behind" the building's drop facade, the tower is imposingly tall.

towerofterror2.jpg

the-twilight-zone-tower-of-terror-7052.j

In California, Tokyo, and Paris, the elevator begins at a loading dock before being pushed backwards into a shaft that serves as both the show shaft and the drop shaft. The result is that the elevator moves much more quickly and the drop is more of a "surprise" in those three towers. Also, the physical building itself is more or less backwards since the show scenes have to be visible from the same shaft that the drops take place in. As a result, Florida's is certainly more intimidating and appears much, much taller because of its flat front whereas the other three have a "boxy" show building in front that contains the dark ride scenes. 

Towerofterrorsim.jpg

tower_of_terror_007_147.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks guys!

Allow me to rescind my first post which offered that this is merely a rumor. I still don't think it'll happen, but the word from some insiders is that a Guardians of the Galaxy *temporary* attraction overlay (as in Haunted Mansion Holiday, it's a small world holiday, Jingle Cruise, or Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy) really was planned for both California and Florida. No different from Star Wars taking over Space Mountain or Nightmare Before Christmas taking over Haunted Mansion, it would last for just a little while. 

Jim Hill Media explains that the only reason this could even possibly happen is because of Tower of Terror's location in Disney California Adventure. The plot of land behind the Tower there (the only leftover square of Disneyland's original parking lot) is targeted to become a Marvel Super Hero themed land in the near future (perhaps with its own Iron Man Experience from Hong Kong, a launched Avengers coaster modeled after Rock n' Roller Coaster – which is in turn modeled after Flight of Fear – etc). Already, the Super Hero HQ meet-and-greet experience at Disneyland is moving to California Adventure's Hollywoodland this month.

AYgaCeh.jpg

Anyway, this temporary, seasonal takeover of the Towers of Terror would be a segue into the land's announcement in California and a tie-in to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 which opens in theaters next May... A way to outwit the Marvel / MCA (Universal) contract that gives Universal exclusive use of any Marvel characters in their park and characters reasonably associated with those characters' families (including the Avengers, who will team up with Guardians of the Galaxy in Avengers: Infinity War Part I or Part II in 2018 or 2019. Once that happens, Disney will be locked out of using Guardians of the Galaxy in Florida since they'll be tied to the blocked Avengers.)

It would be duplicated in Florida, allegedly, only because of the tremendous fan backlash that occurs whenever Disneyland gets a seasonal overlay and Walt Disney World doesn't. Problem is, the reason for Walt Disney World's omission from seasonal overlays is a pretty smart one: many visitors to Walt Disney World visit only once every few years, maybe once in a LIFETIME. For them, having the Haunted Mansion overtaken by Jack Skellington poo-poos their one (and perhaps only) chance to see the "real" Haunted Mansion. So this time, Disney was apparently trying to get out ahead of that backlash by developing a version to temporarily take over the very different Tower of Terror in Florida, too.

Jim Hill reports (in the podcast linked above) that the tremendous fan backlash against the idea has made designers second-guess bringing the experience to Florida, leading to the assumption that it'll still come to California and that when it does, it'll be beloved and impressive and well received, and that Florida fans will be furious that they were skipped again. 

Why would a sci-fi futuristic super hero IP take over a 1930s lost Hollywood hotel, even temporarily? I don't know. Why not insert them into Space Mountain like the Ghost Galaxy or Hyperspace Mountain overlays do? I don't know. 

• Like 7

Ahh the WDW bloggists are never happy, either nothing changes at the parks, it changes too slow, or how dare you change or remove this beloved attraction.  WDW bloggists are never happy and if they don't have something to complain about people won't visit their site.

• Like 7

Ahh the WDW bloggists are never happy, either nothing changes at the parks, it changes too slow, or how dare you change or remove this beloved attraction. WDW bloggists are never happy and if they don't have something to complain about people won't visit their site.

The DIS boards are similar. Sooo much complaining. Complaint threads seem to get the most activity over there, too. There are complainers everywhere -- including here -- but it at least seems to me like the passion for KI on this forum far outweighs the complaints. On the DIS boards it seems more 50/50.

• Like 4

That is why I no longer visit the DIS Boards, because the typical reaction goes something like this.  "They no longer offer Turkey Legs at this food cart... My vacation is ruined."  "They put a Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom, that is a sin against all humanity... My vacation is ruined."  "They are re-theming Malestrom to Frozen, this is my favorite attraction that I haven't ridden in the past 5 trips, but I still love it...  Walt is turning over in his grave and my vacation is ruined."

This is why I no longer visit that site and many others.  Don't get me wrong.  Disney is not perfect, no company is, but some blogists and pass holders manufacture anger and unrest for click traffic.  

I am a vocal minority that thinks the cuts at the US parks has nothing to do with Shanghai but everything to do with budget overruns in the My Magic Plus System, New Fantasyland, Avatar and more than likely Disney Springs.  Disney is using Shanghai as the PR reason for the cost cutting, but these major projects that have been finished and that are ongoing have all blown the doors off their budgets.  Now take this opinion and post it on DIS Boards or similar sites and see what happens.  Prepare to be doused in gasoline and light on fire.

• Like 7