Kings Island 2016 New Game Cards

Italian Job 2005

"The future is here. Make sure to get your game cards!  #KIgames"

CeQHLVsWIAALJrK.jpg

from: https://twitter.com/kigamesdept/status/712702542682202112

Kings Island released on their Games Department Twitter page that they are initiating a new Gaming Card system.  I'm aware that this is already being discussed on another thread, but I reckoned that this merited its own topic so that the KIC Community can discuss the system (pros & cons) as we begin to use it in the 2016 season and beyond.

Firstly, do you think that this new system will be implemented at ALL the midway-style games as well as this basketball one we see in the picture?  I think it's a great idea for Kings Island to completely eliminate cash in their games, but these machines better be accessible all around the park, otherwise they could risk people just walking away and not playing the games due to them maybe not being able to find one of these game card machines.

• Like 8

I'm surprised that it took them this long, to be honest. Many small parks are already doing this. Waldameer and Indiana Beach come to mind.

Heck, Waldameer doesn't even directly accept cash at ANY vendors within the park. A so-called "Wally Card" must be used for all transactions in the park that are not paid with a credit or debit card and there are automated kiosks throughout the park at which you can exchange cash for a Wally Card.

This system encourages sales by making money feel less like money. It's brilliant marketing masquerading as a customer convenience. That said, I might actually play games now. I never carry cash, and very few of the midway games accept credit cards, so I simply don't ever play them.

I just wonder now if these will be the thin, cheap cards with a simple barcode like you find at Waldameer and Indiana Beach or if they will be nice, thick plastic cards with a magstrip similar to the Power Cards at Dave & Busters. Also interesting to see will be whether or not these cards become the accepted payment method at the arcades as well.

• Like 6

I just wonder now if these will be the thin, cheap cards with a simple barcode like you find at Waldameer and Indiana Beach or if they will be nice, thick plastic cards with a magstrip similar to the Power Cards at Dave & Busters.

From this earlier tweet, they appear to be the magnetic strip cards, as those machines look to have a slot for swiping the card.

• Like 2

Let's see.... Wristband for riding.... Card (lanyard) for photos,.... Pass for food.... and card for games. Won't be hard to spot the the real tourists and enthusiasts.. Lol ... Just give them the all-encompassing Magic Wristband already. (Besides it's easier to trace habits with magic).

• Like 8

I like the cards better. They fit in my wallet and don't give me a tan line :)

I am curious to see if they eliminate employees taking cash entirely for the outdoor games. I suspect at least the first season it will be optional to buy/load a card.

While the cards would be much more convenient than tokens, it might eliminate the double-dipping of bonus plays on the Wizard of Oz coin-pushers. Last season you could get $30 worth of tokens for $20, then also get the extra plays associated with putting either $5, $10, or $20 worth of tokens into the game at one time. I am not sure the coin pushers would be card-enabled yet this season though.

• Like 5

I can see how this will be great for making the park money. Those who were at the Great Wolf Lodge meetup 2 years ago saw how crazy I went in the arcade with all those games- and that was just one segment of the resort! Making games more "accessible" is a good idea, and just think, that money can be put towards things like the next coaster or preserving the atmosphere of the park! :D

• Like 2

I just wonder now if these will be the thin, cheap cards with a simple barcode like you find at Waldameer and Indiana Beach or if they will be nice, thick plastic cards with a magstrip similar to the Power Cards at Dave & Busters.

From this earlier tweet, they appear to be the magnetic strip cards, as those machines look to have a slot for swiping the card.

And don't forget, at Szalinski Labs, the future is... NOW.

• Like 1

I can see how this will be great for making the park money. Those who were at the Great Wolf Lodge meetup 2 years ago saw how crazy I went in the arcade with all those games- and that was just one segment of the resort! Making games more "accessible" is a good idea, and just think, that money can be put towards things like the next coaster or preserving the atmosphere of the park! :D

Or paying D. Kinzel's retirement.

Money

Well

Spent

• Like 2

These cards could also allow them to greatly reduce games staff. Why pay someone to stand there when there is no longer cash changing hands and instructions for many of the games could be posted on a sign? I imagine that you could have the really simple games be fully automated. Then have a central location where they scan your card to see if you won a game and redeem your prizes there.

• Like 2

Until all the games or most of them have automated dispensers of the game balls, that won't happen. That's a complete overhaul of the game infrastructure, rather than simply making the money digital. I feel like once that happens, it makes the midway games into nothing better than a Dave n' Buster's arcade.

• Like 5

Hopefully they also use this for the arcades. Many arcades have switched to card systems now.

Heck, if these cards could be used anywhere in the park I would probably use it. Just put some cash on my card and leave my wallet in a locker or car.

Or better yet, just incorporate the preloaded card system to your KI season pass. To go even further, use your KI app with your pass linked on it. Then you will just have to pull out your smartphone and scan a barcode to enter the park, eat, play games, and make a purchase. Streamline and save $$$$$

• Like 7

Hopefully they also use this for the arcades. Many arcades have switched to card systems now.

Heck, if these cards could be used anywhere in the park I would probably use it. Just put some cash on my card and leave my wallet in a locker or car.

Or better yet, just incorporate the preloaded card system to your KI season pass. To go even further, use your KI app with your pass linked on it. Then you will just have to pull out your smartphone and scan a barcode to enter the park, eat, play games, and make a purchase. Streamline and save $$$$$

you could also pay in-app instead of having to visit a machine.
  • Like 1

Ah the double edged sword arises yet again. I have my problems, and perks to this new system. Let's first take a look at the problems:

Most of the games are "on a whim" spending, or at least for any of the times that I have ever played or friends have. It's usually "Hey that looks cool, I'll play this game to win it!" from reports from friends and my own personal experiences with the games ar Kings Island. If I have to go and put money into a machine for a card, I wouldn't, because when I'm at the park, i might see it as too much. It would be an hassle to go to a kiosk and do more work than to just hand over $2.

On the flip side, this locks people into using money given. For example, instead of giving little johnny $10 which he may only use $5, he is given a cash card that he has to use all $10 dollars for games. It's an interesting process, but if implemented correctly might work.

Personally speaking, the last time I played a game at KI was 2 years ago, so don't expect me to turn a new leaf so soon. (Although if you give me Gold Pass discounts, maybe I will.)

• Like 2

That, is the one thing that would make me put the KI app on my phone.  I would LOVE that kind of efficiency!!!!

• Like 3

Ah the double edged sword arises yet again. I have my problems, and perks to this new system. Let's first take a look at the problems:

Most of the games are "on a whim" spending, or at least for any of the times that I have ever played or friends have. It's usually "Hey that looks cool, I'll play this game to win it!" from reports from friends and my own personal experiences with the games ar Kings Island. If I have to go and put money into a machine for a card, I wouldn't, because when I'm at the park, i might see it as too much. It would be an hassle to go to a kiosk and do more work than to just hand over $2.

On the flip side, this locks people into using money given. For example, instead of giving little johnny $10 which he may only use $5, he is given a cash card that he has to use all $10 dollars for games. It's an interesting process, but if implemented correctly might work.

Personally speaking, the last time I played a game at KI was 2 years ago, so don't expect me to turn a new leaf so soon. (Although if you give me Gold Pass discounts, maybe I will.)

Completely agree with this.  When my wife and I are at the park, we hardly ever play games.  However, there are those occasional visits where we decide to play a few games on a whim because one of them looks fun, or maybe we have a couple extra dollars in our pocket.  There are a few occasions where we might have my niece with us and give her a buck or two to go play something. 

If playing games is limited to having to load a play card similar to Dave and Busters, then no thank you.  I don't ever see us doing something like this.  We're not the type of people that really spend a ton of money on any kind of games throughout the year.  I could see where this new system might lose people like us when it comes to games, but if they're locking people into a play card, then it's possible that they might be able to get more money from the game players.  In the end it might just equal out for them.

If all the games are going to be converted to this system then it will be a little disappointing.  I have fond memories as a kid looking around in the arcades and finding that surprise token on the floor or the one left in the coin return on a game.  This allowed me to play a game or two when I had no money.  Future kids won't have this experience.  Maybe that's a good thing, who knows.  I can see how this would be a little more convenient for the park though.  They would no longer have to mess with cash, tokens, or change machines.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Like 2

One wonders how (and if) this system could be implemented on what could arguably be called one of the park's best money-making games-spin the wheel for a chance at front of the line passes.  The games are cash-only and easily portable, so you'll often see them in front of hot spots throughout the day.

• Like 3

One wonders how (and if) this system could be implemented on what could arguably be called one of the park's best money-making games-spin the wheel for a chance at front of the line passes.  The games are cash-only and easily portable, so you'll often see them in front of hot spots throughout the day.

If they could implement it on the wheel games, that would be nice. Help me save money by preventing me from making an impulse decision to blow $10 on them. :P

• Like 3

With some of the reports I heard last season, Im sure there are some who would welcome that!!

As for me, I know that I am an enigma, but part of what I enjoy about being on a ride... coaster especially.... is the fact that its just me and machine, with NO interaction for that time ranging from 18 seconds to 4 minutes 50 seconds.  I am not a fan of game associates who are squawkers for instance, if I want to play it, I will, and will be LESS likely to do so if there is some associate acting like a Carney to get me to play.  I understand both sides, I do, and I understand and fully accept there need to be humans who work the rides for means of checking restraints, line separating, etc etc.  What I do wish, is that said humans would efficiently and responsibly operate said rides and attractions without what they think is "flair" (speeling) or the infamous "power hours".  I see this program as a huge win, in the respect that those associates, as has been mentioned here, will no longer have to worry about carrying money on their person and have the fear of termination if their till comes up long or short.

• Like 6

One wonders how (and if) this system could be implemented on what could arguably be called one of the park's best money-making games-spin the wheel for a chance at front of the line passes. The games are cash-only and easily portable, so you'll often see them in front of hot spots throughout the day.

They do make wireless POS interfaces. Heck, I run credit cards for my side business on my iPhone. So I'm sure they are ready. I would put money on it (pun intended) that those portable spin the wheel games; will take both the card and cold hard cash. They know that those games are split decision choices depending on how long lines are.

• Like 1

Wow. I think that's probably a mistake, speaking as someone who plays. They're effectively /forcing/ people to wait in a different line/perform a different step prior to spending money on games. Since playing games (gambling) is often a visceral, spur of the moment, thing, every moment spent before taking the money is a moment the customer may change their mind, and keep their money instead.

Those of us who are really into playing will still do the extra step (and it will probably be very convenient for people like me, honestly) but I don't think we're the lifeblood of the games, just a small devoted subset. The individual kids in groups who want to just stop for a moment to play are likely to be deterred by friends who want to get to the next ride and certainly don't want to stand around for an extra step. Someone who "almost won" that last time may rethink playing "just one more time" (which often turns into "one more time" five times) if they have to go reload their card rather than handing over a couple bucks each time.

I just don't think it's ever a good business idea to give the impression that certain forms of money are unwelcome, especially when the form is cash. Even less so when the business is, effectively, gambling, with which spontaneity is often the primary force.

• Like 7