Dollywood 2016

Well, we are gonna visit Dollywood on July, 9th and we really hope Lightning Rod is open at that time.

I appreciate any updates about the ride from visitors these days.

Love to hear some more info about the ongoing issues.

Sigh.

Another spiel that could give a park serious legal problems if a most unfortunate event occurs.

"Isn't it true your own employee said it doesn't matter how hard you push down on your lapbar?"

"Didn't he also say you'd leave your seat?"

"So the park knew this but operated the ride anyway?"

I HATE spieling.

• Like 4

Sigh.

Another spiel that could give a park serious legal problems if a most unfortunate event occurs.

"Isn't it true your own employee said it doesn't matter how hard you push down on your lapbar?"

"Didn't he also say you'd leave your seat?"

"So the park knew this but operated the ride anyway?"

I HATE spieling.

Yea that's some pretty unfortunate wording from a legal standpoint.

• Like 1

All I saw was people complaining that they have to wait while issues are ironed out. 

I'd rather wait to ensure the issues are ironed out than get on and have an issue occur where someone is injured, the ride has to be evacuated (although I've been evacuated before from rides) and/or a bigger issue may come up if the first isn't corrected. 

Going on Friday and cannot wait.

• Like 5

I just was there Monday through Wednesday this week and although the ride was opened, it really wasn't. The ride is incredible when it is actually running. The reliability is not good at all. Its a total crap shoot when it comes to getting a ride. There were at least 5 times where I came up to ride Lightning Rod and it was closed for mechanical issues. I was able to get 5 rides in over the three day period but the wait times were awful. What would've been at most a 30 minute wait extended to 2 hours due to the ride experiencing downtime due to mechanical issues. The last ride I was able to get I was able to get was in the morning on the third train. The ride didn't open up until noon even though ride ops said the wait wasn't going to be long and then they sent two trains out and it went down again. The maintenance team went out to the launch track, fiddled with some wires, came back, and told the ride ops he saw nothing wrong. So all in all I waited 2 and a half hours for a ride that should've been on and off of in 4 minutes. Even worse later in the day the Lightning Rod ride ops were out riding other rides because the ride was closed for the rest of the day around 3pm. 

My thing is why even say that the ride is "open" when it's clearly not ready at all. I understand it is new technology to wooden coasters but this technology has been around for 20 years! If you are only going to have the ride opened for 10-30 cycles before shutting down again just don't open the ride. It is not fair to the paying customer to basically have to hover around the ride all day to get a chance at riding it. The reliability is awful and I feel that if they haven't figured it out by now they may never figure it out. 

• Like 2

Trust me, that the park will have if figured out eventually.  These rides are a huge investment and they aren`t just going to throw it all away.  Few remember, but Flight of Fear didn`t open at Kings Island until June of the year it opened in 1996, and then had lots of issues, since it was the first roller coaster to use LIMs.

• Like 2

I really hope they do. Lightning Rod is a stunning ride when operating but you can see the frustration even with the ride ops when they have to close the ride down so many times in a day. I'm hoping it improves soon because it's not a very positive feeling surrounding the ride as of now.

• Like 1

Just speculation with no real basis here. But what if they've determined they need to do a huge change to the launch. Let's say these changes would take a couple months to complete, however they can currently run it with some reliability. So perhaps for now they'll run it as is during the peak season and perhaps through the remainder of the season rather than prolonging it more now. Similar to how Kings Dominion had added the horrific first drop trims to I305 until they could legitimately solve the problem with the reprofiled turn. The park could see it more beneficial to have its highly anticipated ride mostly open than having people wait even longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@joncars05
Thanks for your detailed review. Could you give us some more info about the reliability of the ride during the time being there? How was monday, the official opening day? Heard there were lengthy delays where the coaster did not operate at all? We plan to visit the park in 2 weeks, but if it is nearly impossible to get the credit because of downtimes, we might visit other parks instead.

• Like 1

^^^ I see your point but nothing is more frustrating as a patron than hearing a ride is opened then going to the entrance multiple times during the day to only see it closed.

^^ Lightning Rod was good to go Monday and Tuesday mornings. Wednesday morning it wasn't. I was able to get a ride in on Tuesday around 3 and right at close. The times the ride was down was on Monday around 1 and 4, Tuesday around noon, and Wednesday it opened late around noon and close for the day around 2. Its really hit and miss. But it's a fantastic ride if you are able to get a chance to ride.

^Have fun! It's a blast!

• Like 3

I was there on Tuesday with CoasterForce, and we got a back stage tour of Lightning Rod. During the tour, Pete Owens (PR Don-equivalent) told us that right now the problems are with sensors and the computer, and not directly with the launch. He said the launch problems have been ironed out for the most part, so now it just seems like usual coaster growing pains.

• Like 3

For those planning on going to Dollywood to ride this weekend or early this coming week, you may want to change your plans. Have been told by the park it won't be opening and wasn't told why.

Sent from the cellphone Zach Morris used in Saved By The Bell using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was there on Tuesday with CoasterForce, and we got a back stage tour of Lightning Rod. During the tour, Pete Owens (PR Don-equivalent) told us that right now the problems are with sensors and the computer, and not directly with the launch. He said the launch problems have been ironed out for the most part, so now it just seems like usual coaster growing pains.

That is great news!

Were you with the CoasterForce crew at the end of the night? I was the guy that ran into the group for the last hour the park was opened and rode with a couple of the group's members in the back before they all headed to Lightning Rod ERT after the park closed.

• Like 1

For those planning on going to Dollywood to ride this weekend or early this coming week, you may want to change your plans. Have been told by the park it won't be opening and wasn't told why.

Well, not good news, still hoping they get the issues ironed out as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Hope you can give us some updates from the park/LIghtning Rod during your visit.

• Like 1