Dollywood 2016

I'm estimating the total amount of time the ride has been up since "opening" is about 30% of the time.

The current down time I've heard rumbling from is due to another restraint recall.

At this point, I'd see Dollywood not paying for much of the ride at all.

I'd look to see if it opens officially (without major downtime) before the 10 pm closes end. If not, I'd bet that they'd reintroduce the ride for 2017.

...if it's even still there.

Terp -- who said it.

• Like 4

I wonder if they'd explore an option to take out the launch for a lift.  It looks like it'd be feasible given the elevation difference from the first major drop and the over banked hill after it.  Sure it'd take out the original selling points, but they'd still have a ride there and the layout looks like it'd still be pretty good.

That and RMC would probably not get contracted to build a launch coaster for quite a while.  

• Like 6

I think at this point the public (those who don't follow forums like this and know the recall was for a cylinder for the restraint system, and the delays and recall were never for safety) don't know what the delays and closures are for are are starting to assume it is for safety reasons. I was at the park last week and  - got to ride it during a few hours of up time, but definitely heard a lot of "you'd never get me on that thing - its not safe" type comments while people were standing there gawking during all the down times. The longer the park plays the "its just commissioning - technical rehearsal" card the more it starts sounding like they are hiding something. Truthfully at this point I think they should really explore the idea of PUBLICLY STATING that the ride - while totally safe is having serious operational issues, and that the ride will not open for the remainder of the 16 season so that they can readdress those issues and have a successful "relaunch" next year. The on again, off again operation certainly isn't doing anything for their marketing, merchandise sales, and must be playing havoc with payroll as you have ride ops and hosts show up to "maybe" work a few hours, then sit - wait - be redistributed to other areas of the park, be called back to LR - be sent home etc etc etc. Its a shame, because it IS a great ride. It COULD be an awesome calling card for the park, but the longer it goes on like it is the more damage I fear it is doing to the long term perception of the ride and the park.

• Like 6

Hearing that it's closed again. The official word is its back to technical rehearsal. It's been a rough "season" for the marque attraction for '16.

There is a ride that chases storms in a park about 4 hours north of Dollywood that opened without delay and has been hitting it out of the park all season long! ;-)

@brenthodge the GP were mulling over that opinion all the way back in June as well. I mentioned in my trip report that there is just an overall uneasy/disappointing feeling surrounding the ride right now. It's frustrating and I hope they are able to figure it out. But because we are halfway through July and the ride has been opened and out of tech rehearsal for only three or four days, I see major changes coming soon.

• Like 3

Truthfully at this point I think they should really explore the idea of PUBLICLY STATING that the ride - while totally safe is having serious operational issues, and that the ride will not open for the remainder of the 16 season so that they can readdress those issues and have a successful "relaunch" next year. 

I agree, the exploration of how to talk about the ride should be happening and sooner rather than later. 

The ride not opening for the remainder of the 2016 season is highly likely. Especially if they don't get the kinks worked out before the 10 pm closes end.

• Like 4

Its so refreshing to hear honest talk about operational issues instead of cinnamon bread loving "I'll have  great time even if it's closed" don't bash the park-res that populate TPR. A lot of people really love Dollywood and want to see success, but are honestly frustrated about the closures and question their ability right now to successfully deal with the situation. I for one thing DW is a superior park, but am getting a little nervous about what this situation is also doing for their long term growth plans, which Im sure were based on the revenue lift and attendance lift that this attraction would bring. Buying that Lighting Rod shot glass right now is a little like salt in the wound if you are one of the MANY that have not been able to enjoy it.

• Like 6

Truthfully at this point I think they should really explore the idea of PUBLICLY STATING that the ride - while totally safe is having serious operational issues, and that the ride will not open for the remainder of the 16 season so that they can readdress those issues and have a successful "relaunch" next year.

I agree, the exploration of how to talk about the ride should be happening and sooner rather than later.

The ride not opening for the remainder of the 2016 season is highly likely. Especially if they don't get the kinks worked out before the 10 pm closes end.

Keep in mind Dollywood's season last until January 1st 2017. So there's still plenty of time in this season to make adjustments even as frustrating as it is. Plus Christmas time is a great time for night rides with 9pm closings.
  • Like 2

August 7th is the last day for 10 pm closes. At that point for Dollywood the height of the season is drawing to a close. While there is still more of the season left, I don't think it would justify trying to get the ride ready for a late August/September opening (while it could definitely happen). At some point they have to say, hey we're not going to get all of the kinks worked out by __ we need to suspend operations and work on getting it ready to go for next year. Plus they'll hopefully have something else to get ready for 2017 maybe? (not an additional coaster).

Its so refreshing to hear honest talk about operational issues instead of cinnamon bread loving "I'll have  great time even if it's closed" don't bash the park-res that populate TPR. A lot of people really love Dollywood and want to see success, but are honestly frustrated about the closures and question their ability right now to successfully deal with the situation. I for one thing DW is a superior park, but am getting a little nervous about what this situation is also doing for their long term growth plans, which Im sure were based on the revenue lift and attendance lift that this attraction would bring. Buying that Lighting Rod shot glass right now is a little like salt in the wound if you are one of the MANY that have not been able to enjoy it.

I'm the type of person to have fun no matter what, but I won't make a special trip down unless it's for Lightning Rod or Christmas. 

• Like 1

GCI says Thunderhead can't operate below 42 degrees per Dollywood years ago....

If moisture gets in wood and freezes it can damage the structure per Carowinds during Winterfest 2005. Woodstock Express was kept ready for operation (for the first half)in case Winterfest needed extra capacity.

Thankfully the warmish days out number the cold ones around here. I know it happens but since the inception of Smoky Mountain Christmas I've yet to have a visit where the coasters were closed due to cold weather. Granted I've always been less than 40 minutes away and I pay attention to what's going on outside. My point was that just because the ride isn't running optimally now or even a few weeks from now doesn't mean they should give up on the ride for the remaining 5+ months of the season.

• Like 3

I'd look to see if it opens officially (without major downtime) before the 10 pm closes end. If not, I'd bet that they'd reintroduce the ride for 2017.

...if it's even still there.

Terp -- who said it.

This is a pretty alarming statement - especially coming from you.  It's really difficult to envision a greater than zero chance of this happening with the ride only having been open for a short time, but the fact that this is even being mentioned is not good.

If there's even a miniscule chance that the ride may be scrapped, that says that the underlying reasons were pretty serious in nature and/or the fixes too costly to justify.  Given that RMC is a relatively new company to the scene, would they have the financial means to be able to write this off and still remain in business?  What parts of the ride would be salvageable?  Could any of the wood be salvaged?  I can't believe that anyone would want the trains based on all of the problems the restraints have had.  Yikes.

It's interesting that RMC's Facebook page has gone completely silent since Dollywood publicly announced the recall on June 19.  They were averaging one or two posts a week for a few months and then...nothing.  I haven't seen a public statement from them of any kind in that same timeframe.  RMC probably has more pressing issues than updating their Facebook page right now, but it's just another bad sign in a sea of them. 

There's no question that this has been one of the biggest stories in the amusement park world this year.  The coaster was supposed to open four months ago, and here we are today with more questions than answers.  Dollywood has had to play cat-and-mouse with their guests for the last two months about the ride's status, and I feel bad for everyone working in their guest services department!  There could be some major fallout from this situation.   

• Like 4

If they're having that much trouble with the launch system,just redo it make it a chain lift. Makes the ride a bit longer that's a plus. I haven't heard or read anything else wrong with it except the recall with the new restraints.

That's obviously been resolved Wildfire at Kolmården had the same restraints has a chain lift and is running everyday. I'm sure RMC has plenty of jobs to do over the next 5 yrs they won't go out of business.

Why take the launch out if that's not the issue? 

The issue is the cylinders on the trains not the launch....so why take it out? 

If they can't resolve the cylinder issues they may not be able to continue supplying their own trains and there may be other issues that pop up (with contracts for example).

• Like 2