Dollywood 2016

All of the information has been kind of mum. 

For good reasons. 

Anything about the sensors/lift hill issues have all been rumor. 

It is likely that the recall from Wildfire was quickly remedied with a different set to replace the originals, or something. Dollywood is also in a different country than Wildfire so the United States may have a different way/standard of dealing with recalls. On this I don't know...just guessing. The original recall could be ongoing. 

Its amazing how they are extending the season and that they are were seeing an increase in attendance. When I was there in the middle of June Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, Tennessee Tornado, and, Blazing Fury were all walk-ons. Mystery Mine floated between a walk on and 10 minute wait. FireChaser Express was the longest wait going from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. The park just didn't feel crowded to me at all. I guess that does prove that Dollywood's entertainment and atmosphere is what draws in the majority of people. I guess when I look back on it I did see more "older" couples walking around and taking in shows. 

• Like 4

We found discount tix for 40$ each, but wI'll rather pay for the aquirium in gatlinburg if lightning rod is not running.

Although Ripleys Aquarium is fun (I just went during our week long trip to Gatlingburg), you will definitely get more bang for you buck at Dollywood. Lightning Rod is fun but I don't even consider it the best ride in the park. Also they have so much to offer outside of rides. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is outstanding. But if riding Lightning Rod is your ONLY goal I wouldn't even worry about going there this year. It was frustrating when it was down for the majority of the 3 days I was there but it was merely a footnote as our family trip was incredible w/o Lightning Rod.

• Like 4

I just came home from a 2 day trip to Dollywood. For my first time, it was so cool to see a park that has bought in to theming, food, and environment instead of putting in multiple roller coasters and flat rides. Dollywood seems to care about the guest's experience more than the national chains, offering free water cups, friendly service, trams, and fair prices.

I enjoyed the coasters. My favorite was Mystery Mine, with Tennessee Tornado a close second. At first, I wasn't too bummed about not being able to ride Lightning Rod, but after watching a POV video it looks like a great ride. It's embarrassing that it's still not ready, but the gift shop was more than happy to sell its merchandise. I hope that the issues can be fixed for next season.

Overall, it was a great change of pace from going to mostly Kings Island for 5 years. I'll have to make a trip back down there again soon.

• Like 3

While I'm sure there would be a ton that would have to be done to the lift and trains, what would stop them from scrapping the launch and installing a chain lift? Yes it would be very expensive but surely more economical than scrapping the ride (right?). Is there anything that would completely prevent this from being possible?

While I'm sure there would be a ton that would have to be done to the lift and trains, what would stop them from scrapping the launch and installing a chain lift? Yes it would be very expensive but surely more economical than scrapping the ride (right?). Is there anything that would completely prevent this from being possible?

It might be easier just to switch the launch provider, this is Velocity Magnets first launch they have ever done :)

• Like 1

Technically there's nothing that would prevent them from scrapping the launch and going with a traditional lift chain. With enough time and money, anything is possible. How much work that involves and how much it would cost is anyone's guess. I imagine it wouldn't be cheap at all though.

Technically there's nothing that would prevent them from scrapping the launch and going with a traditional lift chain. With enough time and money, anything is possible. How much work that involves and how much it would cost is anyone's guess. I imagine it wouldn't be cheap at all though.

They would also have to rework the train

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is a shame.  I love Dollywood and make three or four trips a year.  I was there in April but Lightning Rod was not open yet.  

I know people like RMC coasters but this situation will not help Dollywood nor RMC.  I hope not, but RMC may not survive this.  Even if they do, the recovery will be slow and painful.  Intamin has not built a coaster in the US since 2012 if I remember correctly.  I love Intamin coasters as you can see from my favorite coasters but the parks do not care if coaster enthusiasts love the rides or not.  They care about reliability and profitability. Nothing upsets park guests like promises not kept such as rude employees or ride having long technical issues.

• Like 5

It might be easier just to switch the launch provider, this is Velocity Magnets first launch they have ever done :)

Should have called intamin ag. Intamin ag contracted rmc to put together el toro.

They would also have to rework the train

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Also, the ride was designed to crest after being launched at 45 MPH. Would the train still finish the course from a chain lift? Probably, but the airtime hills were designed with a launch initial speed. It'd be more sensical to fire the LSM contractor and hire someone who doesn't specialize is braking systems.. someone who's done LSM before.. successfully.. 

• Like 4

Got two night rides in tonight. They were running two trains and considerably stacking. Waited about 45 minutes each time and sadly got row 6 both times. Still a great ride though. Of note the back of the trains are currently off and had rows 7 and 8 were blocked off on both trains. No sound effects working on the lift. Also on the second ride the restraint came down considerably on the first drop so I was stapled for the ride. Which was made worse for the couple minutes spent on the brake run. That was negated though by the firework show starting.

Also odd was that the music for the fireworks was far different in Jukebox Junction than across the bridge on ShowStreet.

Edit: Almost completely forgot to mention on my first ride there was an older couple sitting behind me wearing Cedar Fair pull overs. Probably nothing as I own the same one but feel free to use it in future speculations.

• Like 4

Great day @ dollywood. Walk ons for all rides. 3+ hours for lightning rod. They were assigning seats and could not wait for the front. My husband flirted with the associate and she let us on the front row! Its a shame we did not get an rmc. Its the wood equivalent to the cowboy coaster.

• Like 2

^Glad you enjoyed your day at Dollywood,  crazy it was 3 hours for Lightning Rod but I can believe it.   It's a great ride and I agree it's on par with the comparison to the "Cowboy Coaster" even without inversions you feel pretty close to inverting especially the outward banked turn after the wave turn.  The front is the only area of the coaster I haven't ridden yet.  I can't wait for walk-on days for this ride.  My latest trips to Dollywood have consisted of only Lightning Rod even once when it was closed I just looked at it for a while and left.  Granted I live about 35 minutes away so I get that luxury.

• Like 1

Yeah, lightning rod does not let up, the transitions is more fluid than the cowboy coaster. It could go another 1000' or more. It is full throttle throughout. The only thing enjoyable about the thunderhead was the mist spraying while going up the lift. It was like driving on gravel @ 50mph.

Big surprise was tennessee tornado & mystery mine. Wild eagles was meh. River rampage was down the majority of the day (the equivalent to wwc).