Dollywood 2016

Dollywood's opening day event has come and went, and I still have a lot of things I'd like to say and hear about the park! I imagine I'm not alone as the rave at DW is getting more attention this year.

Here is a topic for the park for 2016. I couldn't find another topic regarding Dollywood in "Other Amusement Parks & Industry News" So here is one or it all. :)

--

I remember someone asking pertaining to Lightning Rod.. I remember someone asking who the subcontractor was providing the LSM launch system that seems to be the reason the ride is delayed so long. I was searching around and found people speaking on TPR about a company, http://velocitymagnetics.com/ . Just to throw it out there, but I mostly just wanted to say I think I found the company name and decided to start a new topic unrelated to opening day festivities.

• Like 1

Yes, in their under the hood series they mentioned that a company in PA that specializes in breaking systems figured they could use their LSM tech to make cars go faster rather than slower.. soo I thought they fit the bill

I hope they don't specialize in breaking systems.

Terp, who does, among other things, that, for a living. He's quite good at it.

• Like 9

I'm putting in all my marbles, hoping that LR open for Thrills in the Hills. Dollywood recently changed the itenirary making the evening ERT on LR. And in RMC's recent announcement they said that the opening of the ride is ultimately decided by the customer (Dollywood) so I'm hoping these signs point to its opening by April 8. One can only hope...

• Like 2

Thrills in the Hills is being rescheduled (source is the Dollywood website)
''Thrills in the Hills has been postponed for a date later in the operating season. Details of the new date will be announced at a later time. If you do not wish to attend the rescheduled Thrills in the Hills, please contact us to arrange a refund.''

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Their TV ads are still saying opening Spring 2016 but I have not seen anything concrete anywhere. I am hoping to make it down there sometime after it opens. My original plan was to be there opening day but with the LR delay (and the I-75 woes) I did not make the trip. Perhaps a Fall or Christmas visit is in the cards this year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for double post but it's been a while ;)

Lightning Rod to open in the next few weeks:

PIGEON FORGE (WATE) – Rollercoaster lovers can rejoice.

Pete Owens with Dollywood says the Lightning Rod will open in the next few weeks. According to Owens, crews finished testing of the roller coaster on Friday.

The innovative ride uses new technology never used on a wooden coaster and the manufacturer asked for additional time to finish up. It is the first launched wooden coaster in the world. It will also be the fastest wooden coaster in the world. The coaster’s hot rod themed trains will race down a 165-foot drop reaching a top speed of 73 miles per hour.

http://wate.com/2016/04/26/dollywood-says-lightning-rod-will-open-in-next-few-weeks/

• Like 3

Here's to hoping that eventually I'll find time to write up a full trip report, but a few weeks ago I went to Dollywood for the first time and loved it! Of course seeing Lightning Rod sitting there still and quiet was pretty unfortunate, but fingers crossed it will actually be up and running soon.

• Like 3