Dollywood 2016

I think I may like RMC's coasters that are more focused on bigger elements like Goliath or New Texas Giant, but I'm not a fan of how they try to cram so many elements in such short lengths of track much like the layout of Storm Chaser after the 2nd roll.  I imagine I wouldn't like Wicked Cyclone, Iron Rattler or Twisted Colossus quite as much, but I'm willing to let the rides speak for themselves if/when I get around to them.  I prefer sustained moments of air time over a bunch of little pops and I don't really like being pinned to the lap bar where my thighs take a pounding.  Magnum is about as strong as I'll like.  Lightning Run kind of has that, but I found it was more consistent through its layout with the forces.  Storm Chaser felt like 2 distinct halves which the layout before the roll was much better than after it.  GCI's sort of do those pops, but it doesn't feel as jarring like RMC designs things.  

• Like 1

I think I may like RMC's coasters that are more focused on bigger elements like Goliath or New Texas Giant, but I'm not a fan of how they try to cram so many elements in such short lengths of track much like the layout of Storm Chaser after the 2nd roll.  I imagine I wouldn't like Wicked Cyclone, Iron Rattler or Twisted Colossus quite as much, but I'm willing to let the rides speak for themselves if/when I get around to them.  I prefer sustained moments of air time over a bunch of little pops and I don't really like being pinned to the lap bar where my thighs take a pounding.  Magnum is about as strong as I'll like.  Lightning Run kind of has that, but I found it was more consistent through its layout with the forces.  Storm Chaser felt like 2 distinct halves which the layout before the roll was much better than after it.  GCI's sort of do those pops, but it doesn't feel as jarring like RMC designs things.  

And I suppose this is why we all have our own opinions! :)

Personally, I find those "pops" of ejector type airtime to be some of the best parts of any coaster, which is why I love the coasters at that park so much. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are filled with complete "out of your seat" moments, very reminiscent to some of the good ole' wood coasters with buzz bars that now seem to be fading.

• Like 1

I'll admit, I haven't ridden a lot of dedicated air time coasters out there so I could very well be surprised by something.  Watching POV's and riding the actual coasters are very different and I love being surprised by something I didn't expect.  My views of Thunder Run are a good example of that.  I didn't expect a lot going in, but it instantly shot up to being one of my favorite wooden coasters after my first ride.  I find that very true of wooden coasters since there are a lot of different factors that go in to how they ride vs steel coasters.   I did have the very good fortune of having my first rides on Thunder Run as well as Thunderhead after a good soaking rain where they ran fantastically.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to ride Lightning Rod on Friday.  I got three rides in, and I just wanted to share a few thoughts:

• Because of the way the trains - and more specifically the headrests - are designed the only row that has a clear view throughout is the front row.  Even a ride in row 2 didn't provide what I would consider great views.  If the staff will allow you to wait for the front row I'd do it, if only so you can see what's going on the whole ride.
  • The trains seem to be the major reason why the ride is having difficulties.  I got a chance to speak with a supervisor and a maintenance team member and they all made reference to the trains as the main reason for the inconsistent uptime.  I would go in with the expectation that even if the ride is running during your visit there will be probably be downtime at some point.
  • The ride seems to be stuck with one train operation for the time being.  Lightning Rod team members said that they have run two trains on occasion, but there haven't been any sustained periods of consistent two-train operation.
  • Dispatch intervals in one-train operation mode are around 5 minutes.  That's around a 300 per hour capacity.  That's abysmal, but hey, at least the ride is (semi) open!
  • The newer RMC coasters are not big person friendly, nor is this one.  Those over 250 lbs. or have large thighs may have a tough time.

The pre-drop and first drop have major airtime.  The airtime on the ride is there in abundance once you get past the wave turn, and the airtime toes the line perfectly between thrilling and enjoyable.  The quad down is as good as advertised.  Unlike most of the other RMCs the restraints are relatively unobtrusive when you're on the course.  My first ride - in the last row - had a nasty jolt bottom of the first drop, but the other rides did not.  The rest of the course was very smooth.  Aside from the aforementioned sight issues I don't believe there's a major difference between front of train and back of train rides in terms of ride quality.

I was very skeptical when some other enthusiasts were proclaiming this their #1 overall coaster, but I can absolutely see why some might rank it that high after my rides.  I can absolutely make the argument that it's the best wooden coaster in the US right now.  I still prefer both Boulder Dash and Voyage when each of those coasters is running well, but the way that they're running right now I would take Lightning Rod over each of them.  Lightning Rod is definitely not better than Fury 325, but honestly, that might be the only coaster in the US right now that's better.  If you can get a ride this year I'd make the effort to do it.  

• Like 1

Sorry to bump the thread but we are planning a trip during are fall-break. I dont know the exact date but we are staying at Dream More Resort. Im not to concerned about lines since every guest that stays at Dream More gets a Time-saver included with the stay! Also planning on buying some gear due to it being shipped to the hotel room. The only ride im concerned about is Lighting Rod because it is not on the Timesaver so that is a big pulling to come on a weekday.

We have been to Dollywood many times but none this year. Could you guys give any tips for Dream More are general tips that we have missed(anything new this year/Lightning Rod are just general tips are welcome!) Thanks!

• Like 2