Haunt 2016

Bradenwhite

Obviously, the near wall to walls crowds do not agree with you.

Now, Winterfest...

I wonder if "so bad it's good" applies here. Also, this kind of tells me that the park has zero integrity. I'm passionate about Halloween and haunt events/attractions, if the park is just using this time of year as an excuse to just extend the season and go for as much money as possible....it's awfully shameful. KI has yet to figure out that you CAN produce a top quality show -that makes the haunt and horror enthusiasts very happy- and STILL draw the massive crowds. But its as if they don't care...or don't know how. 

If anybody at KI that reads this and is in a position to make changes...HIRE HAUNTERS TO DO HAUNT! But again, integrity. Oh well. 

As I stated long ago, Haunt (Fearfest) was a haunt attraction that took place in an amusement park ( no rides in operation the first couple of weekends) and has morphed into a night at the amusement park that happens to have some haunt decorations.

It's an ok event, but could be way, way more inventive.

• Like 2

Someone owes Sam an apology...

I once worked with Sam...great guy, excellent theater mind. BUT....haunt attractions aren't like stage theater. Yes, some aspects are shared....but he isn't cut from the cloth of a great "haunter". As someone who works in the haunt industry and attends the tradeshows every single year...I'd be happy to see Sam walk the floor, take the seminars/classes and start REALLY working on a great haunt. #KIneedsHaunters

• Like 2

Once Haunt starts, you cannot re-enter the park on the same admission.

It is a way for the park to reduce trips to a vehicle to...among other things, imbibe or otherwise get into trouble. Or to be sure that those who do wish to eat, drink or be merry, do so in the park and enhance per caps.

That goes for Gold/Plat passholders as well (reg season passes expire the day after labor day). You may get into Haunt once with your Gold/Plat pass.  The no re-entry takes effect when Haunt begins-usually around 6. You are allowed to leave and reenter before then.

• Like 2

So "Haunt" starts at 6 PM, is there anything else going on during the day Halloween related?

On Fridays, no. Haunt begins as soon as the park opens (and there is also no Gold Pass ERT). On Saturdays, they have kid-friendly Halloween activities during the afternoon, which give way to the adult stuff around 5:00 to 6:00 PM. On Sundays, there is no Haunt at all, just the kid-friendly stuff all day.

• Like 6

In years past, the kid friendly offerings were largely concentrated at SC in the plaza areas.  There were also a couple of kid mazes as well.  A pumpkin patch, character meet and greets and various other kid friendly Halloween activities were featured as well.  Also, no costumes were allowed.

• Like 1

As I stated long ago, Haunt (Fearfest) was a haunt attraction that took place in an amusement park ( no rides in operation the first couple of weekends) and has morphed into a night at the amusement park that happens to have some haunt decorations.

Rides have always been a part of FearFest, even the first couple of weekends of the inaugural event. It was far fewer the first couple years though - this September 6, 2000 article lists five operating rides (Son of Beast, Face/Off, Top Gun, King Cobra, Drop Zone), although Phantom Theater was later added as "Museum of Horrors".

• Like 4

Now, Winterfest...

I wonder if "so bad it's good" applies here. Also, this kind of tells me that the park has zero integrity. I'm passionate about Halloween and haunt events/attractions, if the park is just using this time of year as an excuse to just extend the season and go for as much money as possible....it's awfully shameful. KI has yet to figure out that you CAN produce a top quality show -that makes the haunt and horror enthusiasts very happy- and STILL draw the massive crowds. But its as if they don't care...or don't know how.

If anybody at KI that reads this and is in a position to make changes...HIRE HAUNTERS TO DO HAUNT! But again, integrity. Oh well.

Not sure what your business is here , but basically putting sam and everyone down here is not welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really hoping for a return of Skeleton Crew this year. I know a lot of people disliked it because of the stinker act in the middle (stacking the tower) but the fire juggler and the rope act were wonderful, and the rest of it was entertaining. I enjoyed it much more than the musical show last year.

• Like 7

Now, Winterfest...

Not sure what your business is here , but basically putting sam and everyone down here is not welcome.

First, I don't care. 

Second, not really putting anyone "down". As I stated, I've worked with Sam...he's a great guy with a genius mind for theater/stage production. The point being..."haunts" are NOT stage shows. It takes a "haunters" brain to figure what works, how to design it, how to fix it, train the staff, and -in their blood- knows what truly scares people. I free to express my opinion about the event whether it'd be glowingly positive or ungodly negative. I visit around 170 haunt attractions a year and work the industry professionally (full time); so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. 

I try to point these things out in hopes that SOMEBODY that makes decisions at KI can see it and maybe consider making changes or being more involved. My hope is that one day KI will, once again, have a fantastic haunt event that is terrifying and fun. I go to Haunt every year hoping to see this change....although in the last 10 or so years nothing has helped change my mind about it. 

• Like 1

^^ I've heard this argument before, but I've not heard any substance to back-up the differences.  

I've been to the Dent Schoolhouse, supposedly a renowned "haunt" destination.  Now this is just MY perspective, but I'll openly admit I don't see much difference between going through the schoolhouse, and going through various attractions at KI.  Of course the KI attractions are a bit shorter (as there are more), and there is various theming.  

But you have to admit, there are a lot of similarities...

I'm not a big haunt person, I just enjoy going with friends and getting the occasional scare.  I'm always more interesting in looking at how they did the special effects.

Just one person's perspective...don't hate me.

• Like 4

I will not argue behind a keyboard about this. I work my ass off every year at haunt I could care less what you think or how many haunts you visit. I give 110% each night. Sounds like you may need a full Hollywood production ti make you happy.

• Like 4

^^^^Haunt is nice, but I enjoy the Christmas season more. I think I would enjoy a return of Winterfest. See how that works? It's called demographics. The park is in business to generate revenue. If the park can stay open longer, the more opportunity for revenue. Your business model is highly flawed. 1st big mistake, you put all your eggs in one basket. I can see it from your point of view since you are in the "haunt" industry, but KI and other CF parks are not full time haunts and morph into something else; when needed.

Sent from my iOS 10 device

• Like 4

Mainly to prevent folks from I'm imbibing alcoholic beverages and returning to the park intoxicated, at least that's what I've been told.

Edit: beaten to the spiked punch again! Lol!

Unfortunately, I think these people imbibe the same amount regardless.  When I was in Park Services we would find handles of hard liquor in the trash, in the toilets, and in the grass.  Not to mention the cases of beer stuffed in the trash can.

We had a name for the event that pertained to the clientele.  There were fights and arrests nearly every night, Scareactors assaulted, and oh yeah, midget 'rasslin.

Also, I definitely agree with the quality of the house.  They are all very short and have lacked a quantity of scareactors.  I think more of that has to do with the budget and trying to dissipate the crowds rather than effort put into the event.  If they had fewer houses, they would need more queue areas to handle the longer lines.  This is just my opinion though.

• Like 4

I will not argue behind a keyboard about this. I work my ass off every year at haunt I could care less what you think or how many haunts you visit. I give 110% each night. Sounds like you may need a full Hollywood production ti make you happy.

I completely agree. I can tell the majority of people at Haunt put their all into it. People want it to be Dent Schoolhouse but the problem is... Kings Island isn't trying to be Dent Schoolhouse. They are something totally different. That's why I love Halloween Haunt!

• Like 4