Haunt 2016

Bradenwhite

It was odd to see so many little, I mean little (strollers) kids in the park well into the haunt on Saturday.  Seems really irresponsible / trashy for parents to bring babies and toddlers into an event like this.  Maybe they wanted to get their money worth after being at the kids area earlier...who knows. 

• Like 1

It was odd to see so many little, I mean little (strollers) kids in the park well into the haunt on Saturday.  Seems really irresponsible / trashy for parents to bring babies and toddlers into an event like this.  Maybe they wanted to get their money worth after being at the kids area earlier...who knows. 

I Agree but i also think that they can get away with it since they can just stick the "NO BOO" necklace on their kids. 

• Like 1

As friends and I were walking to the gates to leave the first Friday night, a woman came around the corner near Boo Blasters asking if we had seen a lost little boy. We told her no and she continued past us, toward where we had just passed several employees also leaving for the night, that would be able to help her more than us if she really needed some.

My personal thought was "interesting performance art, probably not the best thing to be joking about though." It was the reaction of the others that made me consider she might actually be serious. The park was nearly empty by then, so he wouldn't be able to be lost in a crowd, at the very least. If he was missing, chances were he was hiding on purpose.

But, seriously, it's past 1 AM on a Haunt-only night, when there was literally nothing child-friendly the five hours the park was open... I hope she was "joking."

• Like 2

I'm going to the Haunt this Friday night, I'm super stoked! I'm also going to be Vlogging my experience and taking video of the park while I'm there- would anybody be interested in watching that? I'll gladly link it to you guys. c: i'll also be doing ride and food reviews, so the video will have a lot of nice content and a bit of editorial on the park.

I'm too much of a crybaby to do any mazes, expect maybe one... Can anyone tell me for sure if Blackout has jumpscares or not? It's the actors that get me spooked the most, and having asthma doesn't exactly make me very "Maze Friendly." As long as I can step back and get some air (i.e. Scare Zones) I'll be fine though! 

Are the Noo-Boo necklaces still 10$ this year? I need to know for... science. [nervous sweating] 

• Like 4

I'm going to the Haunt this Friday night, I'm super stoked! I'm also going to be Vlogging my experience and taking video of the park while I'm there- would anybody be interested in watching that? I'll gladly link it to you guys. c: i'll also be doing ride and food reviews, so the video will have a lot of nice content and a bit of editorial on the park.

I'm too much of a crybaby to do any mazes, expect maybe one... Can anyone tell me for sure if Blackout has jumpscares or not? It's the actors that get me spooked the most, and having asthma doesn't exactly make me very "Maze Friendly." As long as I can step back and get some air (i.e. Scare Zones) I'll be fine though! 

Are the Noo-Boo necklaces still 10$ this year? I need to know for... science. [nervous sweating] 

There are scare actors that wear night vision goggles in black out i believe i notices 3 when i went in there. I feel like blackout is not the best maze for someone with asthma. yes the necklaces are still $10 this year. I would watch the video probably :)

• Like 1

They are $12 now. (The first weekend they were being sold for $10)

Anything to get that extra 40 nickels from everyone!

Fixed that for you. :P

• Like 3

They are $12 now. (The first weekend they were being sold for $10)

Anything to get that extra 40 nickels from everyone!

Fixed that for you. :P

BEcause KI doesn't get enough of my money as is! (;

There were two girls behind my friend and I in Urgent Scare on Saturday with their mother, and neither of them looked older than 8. No "No Boo" necklace and they did not seem thrilled to be there. I didn't do too much looking behind during the maze but I do recall hearing them cry behind my friend and I while the mother kept physically yanking them through the maze. They were still crying when the maze was over. It really ticked me off and I thought about saying something to the mother but I don't think my words would've meant anything. Thankfully the maze was pretty tame when we went through, maybe the actors saw that they were children and decided not to jump out as much on our group.

• Like 2

I'm not sure an age limit is the best solution. My mom and dad took my sister and I through haunts when we were young (7/8?) and we loved it. Not at first but we loved the adrenaline. I think you have to leave it at the parents.

There are some haunts that may be appropriate and some are not. And some times a kid is great in one situation but not the other. We as parents have to know our kids but sometimes we don't know what our kids can't handle until they don't handle it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I am torn on this issue. On one hand an advantage of an age limit is so the experience is not ruined for the other guests. On the other hand once you do put an age limit the park is now on the hook for saying the attraction is appropriate above that age.

I imagine many of us has seen the parent force a screaming kid on a coaster before. Certainly ruins it for everyone else.

It is not so much an age issue as a maturity/personality issue which is something the park can't measure.

• Like 6

Yes. Age limit is not the answer. It is the irresponsibility of the parents should a child find themselves in a place they can't handle... as long as a park makes known which mazes are more adult oriented.. which I don't think they do as of now. Though I know Hot Blooded makes some sort of warning of the mature nature before the show on the sign and right before the show starts.. kids still are watching as young as 5 it seems.

One must remember there are some kids that are very mature and not so easily affected by whatever might make them freak out (scared, scarred, innapropriate behavior)

• Like 5

Well i am one of those parents who let their child go at an early age.  My son at the age of about 7, wanted to stay a little longer one saturday to see what the "scary part" was like...as he put it.   I was cool with it as i understand the wonder a child has at that age and saw no issue with it as long as he let me know if he wanted to go home or was to scared.  We did one or two scare zones and went home.  He was happy and proud of himself which gave him confidence which all children need.  He had understood since he started trick or treating that its just folks in costumes so it didn't scare him as much i think.  That or maybe he let himself enjoy being scared?  Either way I always limited what houses or zones he could enjoy (no club blood or hot blooded) until i felt he was mature enough (age 10...i am bad haha).   At the age of 10 i took him to Universal Orlando for the Halloween Horror Nights and have gone back every year since.  Its become a wonderful Father and Son tradition (My wife hates being scared) that i wouldn't ever want to change.  Now at 13 yo we have already collected some wonderful memories. 

I agree some children are clearly to young and just can't handle it.  We don't need to terrorize our children.  If your child is mature however, and actually enjoys getting startled and scared then I see nothing wrong with some supervised fun.  Supervision is the key though. 

Either way THIS YEAR IS AWESOME so far at the Haunt and I look forward to our Friday visits!!  \m/

• Like 8

It's a cultural problem.  If your kids are old enough, or are ok with going, awesome.  Good on you.  Age limits really isn't the answer.  But I think it's fair that, if your kid requires a stroller...the kid shouldn't be in there.   

No scare necklaces or not, some kids are way too young and can get really harmed by that, but the parents refuse to put their main priority (to raise their kids to the best of their abilities) ahead of their self interests (to go get scared, have a good time).  So many issues in our society can be traced back to one major issue: parents not parenting.

Sorry to be a downer.  Looking forward to taking my older kids later in the month! 

• Like 6

The one thing I never understood was them deciding to nix the train for haunt. I get it that obviously they can't do terror-tory because of Mystic Timbers but they could do something else. Six Flags has their Terror train which is basically just a full circuit haunted ride in the dark with some props and characters. It might not be the scariest attraction but it could certainly decrease wait times for other haunted attractions. Maybe running a train at night for a whole circuit with a large number of people might be too much of a liability for it to even be worth it. At least when it ran during haunt it only carried 3 full passenger cars a few 100 ft to the drop off point. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I mean... If you look in the direction that the new haunts from 2008 to now have taken, you'll notice that they generally have focused on quality, atmosphere, and cohesive environments in permanent locations (e.g. Urgent Scare, Madame Fatale's, the new Slaughterhouse, KillMart, Board to Death, even Blackout.) They've shifted away from the cheaper removable houses they used to do more frequently (basically everything that used to use those brown pallet tower things--Cut Throat Cove, The Worksite, Cemetery Drive, CornStalkers.) Tombstone Terror-tory seems to have gotten the axe (pun totally intended) as part of this shift. In terms of atmosphere, I don't think you'll find many who would argue that Tombstone Terror-tory was a well-planned and well-funded experience. There was just too much path (or else too little budget and/or time) to make it a worthwhile experience.

That being said, I do agree that there was something special about using the train for a Haunt experience. It would be very neat if they'd add actors and a show experience to it for Haunt. (And a new sound system, too, if they're going to do it. I don't think I ever properly understood a whole story on the train during the TTT days...)

• Like 2

My first maze at Kings Island was Tombstone Terror-tory (in 2014) when you went on the train and was ambushed. I absolutely liked that feature (except at the time, my heart was beating fast) of the maze. The rest of it was not bad, as long as they had scare actors. Once they removed the train part of the maze, seeing it go was not difficult at all. 

• Like 1

Haunts that need to go: Sorority House, & Wolf Pack. Seriously Sorority House made me sick on how terrible it is. Seriously, just dance music and people standing around? It's garbage, complete waste of time and space. Wolf Pack, even though it starts strong, lacks in the end. It was just lacking too much to be a great attraction. First few actors were great then one or two to end out after a long pause in scares. Don't even get me started on Backwoods Bayou, the original incarnation was superior due to the scares and the lack of people in the new attraction. Overall I'm dissapointed with these attractions, ironically enough I find that Urgent Scare has aged well and I think should be given more space and more love. Which it has gained more effects, but it could become even greater than what it is.

And the theming this year, it was as if it is in phases. The first weekend had far less theming than this weekend, almost as if it was half done.

Overall, KI has potential but it needs to shape up into a world class Halloween Event with some of their attractions.

• Like 1