Haunt 2016

Bradenwhite

BB1, I actually feel the opposite. I loved Backwoods and thought it was well themed, like Ouimet had his hand in it with all the beautiful greenery and fog. Also, it liked that it was longer than Cornstalkers was and I was actually disoriented as to where I was in the park when I got out.

However, Urgent Scare seemed to build up to something that never really happened. Maybe there weren't many Scareactors, i dunno. Let's agree to disagree, though :)

• Like 3

BB1, I actually feel the opposite. I loved Backwoods and thought it was well themed, like Ouimet had his hand in it with all the beautiful greenery and fog. Also, it liked that it was longer than Cornstalkers was and I was actually disoriented as to where I was in the park when I got out.

However, Urgent Scare seemed to build up to something that never really happened. Maybe there weren't many Scareactors, i dunno. Let's agree to disagree, though :)

But here's the point: Theming is needed

to be paired with good scares. When I went through Backwoods i only had 1 scare. I counted a few pneumatics and various void spaces. Now i will agree that US can have a bad scare rapport. However, everytime that I went through this year I had a different experience which I thought added to the ambiguity. But when you truly get down to it with a great lineup in the Haunt, US is actually not that shabby than it was last year.

• Like 1

Got back from my second Haunt last night, both times i havent gotten any rides in on The Beast as each time i check in everyone is leaving the line as it kept going down for unknow periods of time, has anyone else been in tis situation? I imagine it would be frustrating to wit in its hour long line just to be denied.

• Like 1

So I have hopefully one final question about Haunt. With the glow sticks, if I'm going with my sister, can just one of us get a glowstick and the other one just be fine without one? Kinda tight on money with going and trying to eliminate any things to have to buy. I've gotten a new gold pass for next year, so I'm free. And we're only going next Friday because it's something fun just me and her as sisters can do without our mom coming along. Sounds bad but that's the truth.

So I have hopefully one final question about Haunt. With the glow sticks, if I'm going with my sister, can just one of us get a glowstick and the other one just be fine without one? Kinda tight on money with going and trying to eliminate any things to have to buy. I've gotten a new gold pass for next year, so I'm free. And we're only going next Friday because it's something fun just me and her as sisters can do without our mom coming along. Sounds bad but that's the truth.

I'd say it's possible to get through the park without getting scared. Just be wary of what you're near and know your route. Avoid the scare-zones at all costs (they are labeled on the map). Also if you don't necessarily look scared it's less likely they will come your way.

• Like 1

I'd say it's possible to get through the park without getting scared. Just be wary of what you're near and know your route. Avoid the scare-zones at all costs (they are labeled on the map). Also if you don't necessarily look scared it's less likely they will come your way.

To add to that, there are a few routes I know of that folks can use to get to major coasters/attractions from the main entrance with minimal monster interactions:

• To Action Zone (Banshee, Delirium, The Bat, etc.): Head into Oktoberfest beside Starbucks and cut through Festhaus. This eliminates having to go through the Nightmare Alley zone across from Kings Island Theater. Be warned, however, because what few roaming actors there are in Action Zone tend to gravitate towards its main entry point because of the crowds. Same goes for Banshee Plaza and queue line to The Bat, as it shares the same entry point with both Blackout and Wolf Pack.
  • To Upper Coney Mall (Racer, Monster, Scrambler, etc.): Same as going to Action Zone, but go past Festhaus and toward Sling Shot, circling the Bier Garten. Because of Tower Gardens holding a maze (Backwoods Bayou) that exits into the path connecting International Street to Upper Coney Mall, there are a few straggling monsters that will congregate around that area. Taking this path also nets you access to Adventure Express, but take caution when going further into Coney Mall past The Racer; Scrambler sits right next to the Sorority House maze, and a majority of monsters stay around the arcade and between Skyline & Subway.
  • To X-Base/Central Coney Mall (Flight of Fear, Firehawk, Dodgems, etc.): Take the left floral clock path beside the Carousel. Coney Mall has the largest concentration of roaming monsters, but no standalone scare zone. Entering Coney right in the middle nets you a smaller possibility of running into a monster than walking the entire length of the strip. X-Base has its own set of headaches as its one-way-in, one-way-out setup holds its own maze (Board 2 Death) as well as two popular coasters, so there may be a monster or two hidden amongst the immense crowds.
  • To Lower Coney Mall (Vortex, Backlot Stunt Coaster, WindSeeker, etc.): Same as going to X-Base, but once you get to Coney Mall, stick to the right side of the strip beside the basketball game and Juke Box Diner. Lower Coney has three mazes alone (Kill Mart, the new Field of Screams, and Urgent Scare), and all of the action takes place on the left-hand side of the strip. Most of their queue lines are off the beaten path save for maybe Kill Mart, but that still won't stop monsters from stalking prey in that area of Coney Mall.
  • To Rivertown (The Beast, Diamondback): Take the Lower Coney Mall route, but continue around Juke Box Diner past 3-Point Shootout and Backlot Stunt Coaster. This is the preferred, albeit lengthy path because while the right floral clock path is used for Coffin Races this season*, the shorter and more direct path to Diamondback (going through Planet Snoopy by Chick-fil-A) is home to the Freak Street zone, which stretches from Boo Blasters all the way to Snoopy Boutique, and the CarnEvil maze, stationed next to The Great Pumpkin Coaster (which also renders the path to Planet Snoopy by Graeter's obsolete as most of the area is fenced off with metal gates). Lower Rivertown is also home to two of the most popular Haunt mazes, Slaughterhouse and Madame Fatale's, both of which enter from and exit out to the main Rivertown strip (Slaughterhouse's entrance/exit also happens to be right next to The Beast's entrance).

* I haven't been to Haunt yet this season, so I don't know if the Coffin Races path remains closed throughout the night. If it is open to foot traffic in-between races, then use this path to get to Rivertown from the main entrance.

• Like 3

Yeah, I should have thought of that, I knew you had been injured. Obviously you'd need to be in the coffin. Like I said, as long as my teammates don't try to kill me, I'm willing to race. I'm not /super/ fast, but I could hold my own if the others aren't over 6 feet and a little nuts :) Let me know.

Also, yes, the coffin race track is open before and after the races, so it may be used as a non-scareactor shortcut other than around 8-9:30.

• Like 2

I'm not /super/ fast, but I could hold my own if the others aren't over 6 feet and a little nuts :) Let me know.

Likewise, if any 6' tall types who are a little nuts want to run, I do need to make another trip to KI Haunt. :)

My attempt to form a Coffin Race team last Friday didn't work out (we only had 4), so I'm definitely open to joining someone's team or taking another shot at organizing one.

• Like 1

My favorite thing about Field of Screams (I used my front of the maze pass from Fright Feast to skip what appeared to be a two hour line) was the cool views of Racer after going through the maze.

84c9e588c3568631835309e8871e56b0.jpg

297e5ef79319837da60c4b82194af0d5.jpg

Field of Screams smelled nice though*. Kind of like really being in a cornfield. It explained where the

gilly suits from Backwoods Bayou went this year too

*a surprising number of haunt mazes have smelled like urine when I went through this year.... They're doing their job I guess?

• Like 4

The smell is from a fire retardant that they spray on the walls and such so in case if a fire breaks out the entire thing won't go up in mass flames. It is horrible until it gets aired out... I remember when I worked in Carnevil that it was horrible smelling throughout because of the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Good to know that that stench is actually very necessary (because we don't want our beloved mazes to go up in flames!); I remember smelling it in Killmart (and a bit in Urgent Scare) when the KIC group went through 2 Fridays ago! Also, hoping to try Field of Screams and Blackout this Friday, along with another trip through the Bayou.

Also, Magenta Lizard, how was Field of Screams?

• Like 1

Super long line, and it felt kind of sparse as far as actors. Because everyone wants to do it, they let people through in a pretty constant stream, so it's hard for scareactors to reset (and presumably, keep enthusiasm). The guy behind me kept stepping on the backs of my shoes.

The layout is pretty good, and I found it hard to know where I was in relation to the entrance. I think I would have enjoyed it much more if there was more of a feeling of exploring rather than the conga line I was in. There are a couple spots where people can go multiple paths, which makes it a little more interesting. It feels vast, which is probably another reason it felt like there were too few scareactors.

One of the most spooky parts, to me, was once you actually come out of the maze, you walk around the outside of two sides of it, with unrecognizable fields and trees (and some farm equipment) bordering the path opposite the maze. It feels nothing like being in a theme park. I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything out there beyond the lights.

• Like 4