California’s Great America Announces Massive Capital Investment and Retail Project

I don't have much sympathy for the complaining residents.  I'm pretty sure the area was built up after the park was built.  Moreover, very few residents would have been there before the park was built in the 70s.  In other words, they moved to the nuisance.

I think the stadium shares the parking lot so staying open during games may not be an option. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to me like Cedar Fair is trying to make California's Great America a premier park out in California. I always thought they were the runt of the Paramount buy and losing three major coasters within the last 15 years didn't help them out. Its not going to be Magic Mountain status by any means but I think the park's popularity and attendance will certainly go up. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Big things are definitely on the horizon.

California's Great America has announced in their blog posts (see links) that Peanuts Playhouse TheaterHMB Endeavor & Snoopy's Splash Dance will all be removed before this season begins.

I imagine based on their proximity to each other and Boomerang Bay that this will be a waterpark expansion. I am guessing the expansion would include: a larger more defined entrance to help delineate the waterpark from CGA, new slides (probably similar to the set KI got a few years ago), and a new unique name/theme like Carowinds & CP.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Your link does not work for me?

Weird.  I drilled down to it from the homepage and copied the link from there and was identical but didn’t work from the forum.   So if anyone wants to see it drill down from the main Costco page under gift cards.  Universal, Legoland and a bunch of other tickets are there.  This is the first Season Pass I have seen.   The price is $79.99 which is $14 less than what is posted on the CF site.  

I just find it interesting that CGA is being sold through Costco but none of the other CF parks.  

Would be nice Costco started selling Platinum Passes at a discount.  :D

Copypasta some details:

Gold Season Pass Benefits:

• Free Parking
  • Admission to Gilroy Gardens 
  • Admission to Halloween Haunt and WinterFest
  • Early Ride Time on selected dates
  • 20% off Food and Merchandise*

* Some restrictions apply

Blackout Dates:

• Friday June 22, Wednesday June 27 and Wednesday August 8

•  
  •  

When you purchase a California's Great America Gold Season Pass, an eVoucher will be emailed to you normally within the hour. Please make sure that you double-check your email address when you place your order. 

How to Redeem: 

• Bring your printed eVoucher directly to the front gate turnstiles for first admission
  • Proceed directly to Season Pass Processing Center to exchange for ID card
  • Must be exchanged to a pass on first visit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I might have an idea where the proposed hyper coaster would go. I found the coordinates on a permit for what appears to be the lift hill structure. After drawing it out, and looking at other concepts for inspiration, I got this. If this is true, the proposed hyper would cut through the park as opposed to being placed on the outer perimeter. I also added other proposed attractions the park plans on receiving in the following years.

CGA Expansion.png

On 3/10/2017 at 6:29 AM, SonofBaconator said:

It seems to me like Cedar Fair is trying to make California's Great America a premier park out in California. I always thought they were the runt of the Paramount buy and losing three major coasters within the last 15 years didn't help them out. Its not going to be Magic Mountain status by any means but I think the park's popularity and attendance will certainly go up. 

Im a Westcoaster, maybe a Knotts North, they at Great America already has their own chicken recipe they serve.

I still think ki could build a year round Village,shop a Premiere restaurant. 

• 2 years later...

So coming back to this topic, I think its a safe bet that Possessed from Dorney Park will find a new home at CGA. Its a good fit for the park considering that its small footprint and the fact that the park doesn't have a launched coaster. What's funny is that the park's direct competitor, Discovery Kingdom, has an impulse of their own so it'll be interesting to see what people will think if CGA does in fact get Possessed.

Also, any word on the hyper? I know Covid-19 is reaking havoc on the amusement park industry so we can't really expect anything legit like blueprints for a while 

Technically, Possessed and V2/Flash (whatever they are calling it these days lol) are different as V2 has that elongated spiral (because SFDK's height restriction) and Possessed has a normal one, but I get your point. :) Though it would probably never happen, I'd be esctatic if Possessed came to KI for 2021, especially considering the ride's history. Like I mentioned in another thread, if that landed in Action Zone, I would be spending a good chunk of my day over there.

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

So coming back to this topic, I think its a safe bet that Possessed from Dorney Park will find a new home at CGA. Its a good fit for the park considering that its small footprint and the fact that the park doesn't have a launched coaster. What's funny is that the park's direct competitor, Discovery Kingdom, has an impulse of their own so it'll be interesting to see what people will think if CGA does in fact get Possessed.

Also, any word on the hyper? I know Covid-19 is reaking havoc on the amusement park industry so we can't really expect anything legit like blueprints for a while 

Is it?  I suspect Cedar Fair will attempt to sell it, or depending on how badly they need parts they might just immediately scrap it for Steel Venom and Wicked Twister.  Possessed is 20 years old and this would be the second time it would be moved, about the same age as Volcano when it was scrapped.  This is also the oldest impulse coaster which is still operating, the original model was scrapped several years ago.

I have not seen any recent developments on the hyper.  I think it would be a great business decision and I have an idea on how to make it truly unique in the chain and the US in general.  I would build it with dual loading stations, have one station runs forwards, and one run backwards trains.  Get 2 of each so run 4 trains total, this is similar to how Universal Studios Japan runs Hollywood Dream (they only have one backwards train, so they run 3 forwards trains, one station swaps back and forth between backwards and forwards trains).  But I cannot see Cedar Fair spending that kind of money on CGA, because the extra train, engineering work, and other modifications needed would likely cost several extra million dollars even though it would really be the standout attraction at the park, and basically give them two coasters for a few extra million over the price of one.  That's the kind of ride which would get people to travel to the park to experience and being in California they have a large audience to pull from, and a lot of parks to compete against.

• Like 1