California’s Great America Announces Massive Capital Investment and Retail Project

6 more 200+ foot attractions?

Good grief.

It also proposes 8 new rides of between 100 to 200 feet and 2 new rides between 50 to 100 feet. So, CF is asking for approval of 16 new rides above 50 feet. Also, the document does call them rides rather than attractions. Now, I'm assuming this is just for approval of these height limits over the very long term future and little to no such attractions are in development? Regardless, there could be some exciting things coming to CGA. Are you excited, Terp?

• Like 12

Looks like Paramount's Front Gate project never actually went away.

I like the idea a lot. If it were even feasible, outside of IStreet, where would you guys think something like this fit into KI?

I think the area behind Great Wolf Lodge would work nicely with a bridge to the park for a second gate entrance. Do you suppose all that digging in the field is actually the start of something special? ;) ;)

• Like 6

Wow! This is definitely a new step forward for Cedar Fair. The only thing kinda like this that they've tried before is the Dairy Queen on Cedar Point Drive and Knott's Marketplace. I really like CityWalk and Disney Springs, so I'm very excited to see (the new) Cedar Fair's take on the idea... and to see if Six Flags does something like it. It's been said before that CF was looking at ways of keeping people in the park later, which is where Luminosity at CP supposedly came from. I wonder if this is more of that, more of a way to capitalize on people leaving the nearby stadium(s), or both. I wonder how flashy and/or noisy it will be, given the park's cranky neighbors.

I'm very interested in this project, along with the huge investment in CGA. This is truly going to be a fun one to watch. I've really enjoyed following the Carowinds investments, and this new focus on CGA looks like it will be just as interesting, if not more.

And here I thought the biggest news that was going to come out of that park anytime soon was the rumored Vortex conversion.

• Like 7

Look at this plan! Four items jumped out of me

Vortex: Remarket Attraction

Water Coaster

Steel Coaster

Mini Steel Coaster

CGA%20PLAN_zps5nrcos6c.png

Snipped from Great American Thrills

EDIT: Link Provided: http://greatamericanthrills.net/2016/03/30/californias-great-america-announces-massive-capital-investment-and-retail-project/

• Like 3

Sorry Terp, I am usually on top of things! I was about to put the link but I guess I forgot. Sorry again!

I am really wondering if Six Flags has some plans to counter this if it happens.... they have been having good attendance from San Francisco and it looks like CGA is going to try and steal some of that market share. 

Its amazing to see how much can change in three years and three months. In late 2012 there were rumors swirling that CGA would be no more after they would be bought out. Thank God the buyer backed out of the bid!

stausha123 has a nice ring to it!   :P

• Like 5

Only two new rides in ten years and then suddenly a handful of them....

Sounds too good to be true, sounds more like someone has contract obligations to forefill or they are trying impress potential new buyers.

Matt Ouimet was there at the park saying CGA has a bright future, If this was the case you can say they are selling Carowinds too! 

• Like 3

Welp, there goes that Dive coaster space! :P The Storm drain location (#6) was where I had the dive coaster in the RCT2 version of (P)/CGA. Also, I too am intrigued about the water coaster. The question is, will it be a) a true water coaster, not unlike the coaster formally known as Buzzsaw Falls or something like Divertical in Italy, b- a "Water coaster" like Aztec Adventure at The Beach Waterpark or the one at Great Wolf, or c) a giga (or other type of coaster) with a splashdown element? Hmm...  

Also, so much other stuff to talk about, like Boomerang Bay expansion, climb and play area (Sounds like the Climbing structure at KI in the mid '90s) and Dinosaurs Alive. Also, Vortex floorless seems to be semi-confirmed as well as new movies for the theater... but just what is Hetch Hetchy?

TL:DR- Good stuff and lots of possibilities and questions about the bright future of California's Great America!

• Like 8

• 9 months later...

okay the editor is screwing up so that post wasn't needed.. as I was trying to edit, so looks like Intamin might be back in the game, this is from Cedar Fair's proposal from the city, either Intamin is back or they are going to take out Wicked Twister at Cedar Point (highly doubt) and place it at CGA

(photo from Cedar Fair and its proposal to the City of Santa Clara, obtained -> https://www.facebook.com/insidecga/?fref=ts15822548_1640380646256292_47091624761978

I was going to say they just picked a picture for it, but that description is of Wicked Twister. CF also has Possessed at Dorney and Steel Venom at Valleyfair, but neither of those fully match the description.

That said, this confirms that a hypercoaster is in the works, and we already knew about Vortex's floorless conversion.

• Like 2

It looks like there will be some great additions. I drove past the park this past June but didn't stop since I don't have a Platinum Pass, would have only had a few hours there and really only cared about Flight Deck and Gold Striker. A hyper coaster alone would have convinced me to visit the park.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the meeting from the link above where this was approved. 

It sounds pretty awesome! The opposition that showed was outweighed IMO than the supporters. However, the opposition did have some good points. Some of the stuff (speakers facing the wrong way, speiling being insane, etc.) can be fixed almost immediately. The one thing that kind of cracked me up was there was mention of people on rides screaming and that was hurting their quality of life (paraphrased).....how in the world could they tell guests to stop screaming on their rides? 

Anyway, I'm happy for them!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 3:20 PM, chugh43 said:

I watched the meeting from the link above where this was approved. 

It sounds pretty awesome! The opposition that showed was outweighed IMO than the supporters. However, the opposition did have some good points. Some of the stuff (speakers facing the wrong way, speiling being insane, etc.) can be fixed almost immediately. The one thing that kind of cracked me up was there was mention of people on rides screaming and that was hurting their quality of life (paraphrased).....how in the world could they tell guests to stop screaming on their rides? 

Anyway, I'm happy for them!

Coaster pulls in station...

"Riders, how was your ride?"

Riders whisper "Yay!!!" :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1