Theme park bans screaming on new roller coaster

When I lived in Burbank, CA, I was approached on more than one occasion to sign a petition to put curfews on flights out of the airport. There were houses around there, the owners didn't like the noise, so they were forever trying to stop it. Never mind that the reason that the homeowners could afford those houses to begin with was that they were built next to an airport. (Housing prices in the Los Angeles suburbs are insane...)

I really liked being able to fly out of Burbank rather than LAX (driving north/south through Los Angeles was never fun) so I always refused to sign the petitions. I did manage not to tell them how I felt about their self serving, though...

This is one of the major reasons I am hoping against hope the proposed apartments across KI Drive never come to fruition.

• Like 5

People who move into houses near amusement parks and know full well that it will be noisy yet complain about the noise are ridiculous. I would somewhat understand if an amusement park was built next to a neighborhood that people have already been living in, but in most cases, it's the former. Don't move next to an amusement park if you know it will be noisy!

• Like 8

Residents of Anaheim love to frequent Disney shareholder meetings just to give executives a piece of their mind. One last year stood in line for the mic for a good long time just to tell Bob Iger and city officials that they were "going to hell" for renewing Disneyland's late-night fireworks allowance.

Those locals are one of the main reasons that Westcot didn't become the second gate at Disneyland. A three-hundred foot golden sphere floating over MY home? Massive parking garages looming over MY backyard? Decade-long road-widening projects to make MY neighborhood an international destination? No sir. And thus... Disney's California Adventure. (I wrote a piece on Westcot and the original, much-despised Disney's California Adventure here.)

Speaking of which, if The Big Sheep is looking for alternatives, they can go the route Disney's California Adventure did... Expansive echoing tubes covering the parts of the park's roller coaster that were likely to elicit screams, reflecting them into the park and away from neighbors (Image via Disney)...

California-Screamin.jpg

... OR (and this is the best one) horrific "scream shields" on the equally horrific Maliboomer Drop Tower that could quite literally deafen you if you dared scream into them. (Image via Yesterland, see link)

maliboomer_dangling2010ww.jpg

Nearer to the UK, LEGOLAND Windsor enclosed their ride vehicles to equally deafening and unpleasant results. And when those windows get dirty... Yuck. The coaster was relocated to LEGOLAND Florida where it now operates in a much more airy capacity.

• Like 12

I've never really felt the need to scream on coasters anyway.  Screaming on a coaster has never increased the fun of it for me.  I have, however, sat in front of many people who insisted on screaming at the top of their lungs for the entire length of a coaster ride.  Sure, getting excited or scared and letting out a little bit of a shriek, whatever, but there are some people who are just determined to overdo it.  It can be quite an annoyance if you're the unlucky person who gets the pleasure of sitting in front of them.

• Like 9

And it misses you!... well minus-- ahem.. nvm.

-- I almost feel like the residents don't have any justification for their complaints.. a new coaster being built that didn't use to be right at the edge of the park, that's one thing.. but, still.. Did they not see that a theme park was right next door?

• Like 4

My first thought was, "turn on the fan."

I work nights, the next door neighbors bark all day, and during summer there is band camp two blocks from me.

I just turn on the fan for white noise to drown it out.

The dogs are one thing, especially if one has low self esteemed, touch, defensive neighbors, but I kinda like the band camp.

It's like having a little piece of New Orleans in my life- they play a lot of jazz.

The screams come at regular intervals on the ride; I'd think after a while, it would fade into the background noise of life.

• Like 8

I've never really felt the need to scream on coasters anyway.  Screaming on a coaster has never increased the fun of it for me.  I have, however, sat in front of many people who insisted on screaming at the top of their lungs for the entire length of a coaster ride.  Sure, getting excited or scared and letting out a little bit of a shriek, whatever, but there are some people who are just determined to overdo it.  It can be quite an annoyance if you're the unlucky person who gets the pleasure of sitting in front of them.

I actually enjoy having people near me screaming their heads off. I tend to smile more and have more fun on a ride when I'm sitting near a screamer. Don't ask me why; I have no clue. :)

• Like 1

What harm could this small coaster even do?  I have never been a screamer, nor will I ever be, so personally I don't mind. But if you chose to live near an amusement park, you chose that lifestyle. It's like moving in next to a waterfall, you will hear water falling all day every day. Ridiculous, truly is, I can't see how this coaster could pull screams, but then again, why are people complaining about such a thing. Enforcement will be tricky, and it will be interesting to see how it will play out. 

• Like 4

I'd love to have this problem since it would mean I lived close to an amusement park and would gladly put up with noise from a park to be able to drive over to the few times a week for some coaster rides. I seem to have the opposite problem of living near parks that closed. I spent my entire life less than 10 minutes away from a park that closed 6 years before I was born and I just moved to a new area that had a park 5 minutes away and closed in the late 80s. I guess I can't complain too much though since I'm now 75 minutes from Knoebels.

• Like 4