Cedar Fair writes a new book -- April 2016

This is a great article, and something Im really happy to see.  When I first opened the page, the kid in me admittedly looked at the illustration and said to myself "SWEET, they are releasing a Cedar Point pop-up book"  :D .... fooled again!!!  I actually only laughed at one paragraph (season passholders stoping by for a meal, really??), and I am quite pleased with what they are doing as far as market research.  My only fear, with Worlds of Fun being my adopted home park that hasnt had a major ride installation since Prowler in 2009 (that ridiculous WindSeeker relocation doesnt count), is that by the time the marketing team gets to the "less crucial" parks it may be too late.  Id at least like to see that park get SOME Love, even if its retracking/reconfiguring Timber Wolf.  Id actually be ecstatic with that!!!

• Like 9

I actually only laughed at one paragraph (season passholders stoping by for a meal, really??)

Some people here have done just that.

I found this tidbit most interesting (emphasis added):

Cedar Fair is now looking past Halloween to the Christmas season, as well. Again using Knott’s and its “Merry Farm” festival as a template, the company will roll out “WinterFest” in 2016 at California’s Great America, with additional “WinterFests” planned for 2017.

Cue speculation about Kings Island Winterfest?

• Like 9

I looked at the full list of CF parks, and to be absolutely as realistic as possible concerning a Winterfest, the non-California parks that I see possibly doing it are Carowinds and KD, with a wild card going to Cedar Point or Valleyfair.  Now, my reasons for this are as follows..... Of all of the non-California parks, Carowinds and KD have the best chance of POSSIBLY being able to operate some of the rides while following Manufacturer recommendations, and the two wild cards are populated with a demographic that is accustomed to cold and snowy weather.  That would allow for putting in a temporary ice skating rink, and (if the midways are snow covered) even possible sleigh rides around the park.  I simply have a hard time seeing the viability/profitability of holding a Winterfest at a park where all of the rides are closed due to cold weather and/or little else to keep people occupied.  Since I was not around during Winterfest at KI, did the park ever use the pool where International Fountains are for ice skating?

Two things I enjoyed reading (There were more, but these are 2 things I want to point out)

“The cost—in terms of seasonal labor dollars—to put those mazes up and down adds up over the years,” Witherow says. “If we can make that a permanent structure and use it for storage during the non-haunt season, it’s very cost-efficient and a better product.” 

I feel like this is such a smart move. Yes, the structures may not be the most eye pleasing but until you've seen some of Six Halloween structures that are literal eyesores, what I've seen from CF so far we're in better shape! 

Cedar Fair owns three other hotels at Cedar Point, plus one at Knott’s Berry Farm; in addition, there are campgrounds at Carowinds, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion in Virginia, and Worlds of Fun in Missouri. The success Breakers experienced in 2015—both in terms of reservation numbers and guest feedback—has company officials re-examining the rest of their portfolio.
“The success of Hotel Breakers this past season reinforced there’s value in resort accommodations for us—maybe more than we were giving ourselves credit for,” Witherow says. “We’re in the process right now of reviewing with our management teams and board of directors a more aggressive look at the accommodation side of our business. You’ll see us continue to focus on it over the next several years.”

I hope to see more accommodations in the next fear years popping up around the Cedar Fair parks. I hope that they are company owned. I feel like I can trust Cedar Fair (based on previous experience staying in  CF owned hotels) on making sure that the rooms are clean, beds don't have bedbugs, properties are clean and they aren't sketchy as some hotels out there.

I truly would like to see a campground come back to Kings Island in the future too. While I don't have a camper or a tent, I feel like eventually camping in a tent sort of close to the park would be fun.

• Like 5

I believe so; I also believe I've read on here that they have since performed work on the fountains that would no longer make that possible, or at least wouldn't make it possible with out retro-fitting it back out again.  But that still wouldn't solve the problem that its occasionally in the 60s in SW Ohio leading up to Christmas, leaving any rink useless to begin with.

If the Zoo can do it, and be profitable, then KI could as well, however one big issue that the zoo doesn't have is a large scale Halloween fest that often runs up to the very beginning of November.  Any "winterfest" of sorts, that is going to be based around getting people to come out and see lights, needs to be open thanksgiving day weekend.  That may only leave 3.5 weeks of prep time to do it properly, which doesn't feel like a ton of time.  Plus anytime devoted to a winterfest would be potential time taken away from regular offseason maintenance work.

One possible answer would be to "tune down" the kids area near the end of Halloween start building up the light display over there and getting ready for a scaled down version of "Winterfest".  Bring in Santa, perhaps some carnival type attractions that are no longer in the park like a jumbo mat slide, keep open the rides in Planet Snoopy that can operated in cold weather (I assume, but could be wrong, that things like the Flying Scooters, bouncing buggies, helicopter ride, perhaps even the pumpkin coaster could operate down into the 20s.)  Really gear it around small kids and their families.  Keep international street open for shopping/dining, light up the Eiffel Tower, etc.. I don't think they could go "all in" but a scaled down, moderate version may work enough to generate a small bit of income.  Limit crowds, offer season pass holders first dibs, etc...

• Like 1

I believe so; I also believe I've read on here that they have since performed work on the fountains that would no longer make that possible, or at least wouldn't make it possible with out retro-fitting it back out again.  But that still wouldn't solve the problem that its occasionally in the 60s in SW Ohio leading up to Christmas, leaving any rink useless to begin with.

If the Zoo can do it, and be profitable, then KI could as well, however one big issue that the zoo doesn't have is a large scale Halloween fest that often runs up to the very beginning of November.  Any "winterfest" of sorts, that is going to be based around getting people to come out and see lights, needs to be open thanksgiving day weekend.  That may only leave 3.5 weeks of prep time to do it properly, which doesn't feel like a ton of time.  Plus anytime devoted to a winterfest would be potential time taken away from regular offseason maintenance work.

One possible answer would be to "tune down" the kids area near the end of Halloween start building up the light display over there and getting ready for a scaled down version of "Winterfest".  Bring in Santa, perhaps some carnival type attractions that are no longer in the park like a jumbo mat slide, keep open the rides in Planet Snoopy that can operated in cold weather (I assume, but could be wrong, that things like the Flying Scooters, bouncing buggies, helicopter ride, perhaps even the pumpkin coaster could operate down into the 20s.)  Really gear it around small kids and their families.  Keep international street open for shopping/dining, light up the Eiffel Tower, etc.. I don't think they could go "all in" but a scaled down, moderate version may work enough to generate a small bit of income.  Limit crowds, offer season pass holders first dibs, etc...

OK, looking at it in that capacity, I can certainly see it as feasible.  I know Adventureland in Altoona, IA is taking over the Central Iowa Make a Wish Foundation's "Jolly Holiday Lights" festivities, and I could see KI doing something similar in the respect of setting up light displays and a guided tour of them around the park.  Good points you made, all of them.

Cedar Fair is now looking past Halloween to the Christmas season, as well. Again using Knott’s and its “Merry Farm” festival as a template, the company will roll out “WinterFest” in 2016 at California’s Great America, with additional “WinterFests” planned for 2017.

As someone else suggested, I'd put money on it being Carowinds.

• Like 7

As someone else suggested, I'd put money on it being Carowinds.

My money is on Carowinds and Kings Dominion, it seems like they are in warmer areas! 

• Like 1

I spent a good deal of Busch Gardens' Christmas Town quaking in my boots, freezing. It was too cold to open Griffon (which operates in 40-degrees an above) and very windy, too. That year was worse than many, but a Christmas event in Southern Virginia is not the kind of thing you can wear a parka to. 

• Like 4

Many have posted that the zoos, etc. run successful Christmas events in Ohio.  I'd also like to throw in Easton Town Center, and other malls similar to it.  Easton is packed all the time, including during the Christmas season, and it involves A LOT of outdoor walking...If Kings Island could tap into the the Christmas shoppers/diners with some unique merchandise, it could help bring in more people.

• Like 4

The article states, "the market research on Canada's Wonderland just concluded, and those results are factoring into plans for 2016 and beyond, even as Semmelroth's team moves on to its next park."

So it is possible they have not even begun the market research for Kings Island yet.

• Like 2