Rock work sign at new parking lot entrance?

Skyrider

I drove by Kings Island on Sunday and it looks like they are adding a new rock work sign on the main road in front of the new driveway that leads into the parking lot at the the new toll booths they are adding.  It also looks like some type of planter is apart of it or I wonder if there will be some type of water feature.  Does anyone know anything more about this?

• Like 12

Some one knows! :)

I've been wondering if there will be a digital sign like at Carowinds:

Carowinds-park-entrance-sign-760x360.png

Source: http://coasteraddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Carowinds-park-entrance-sign-760x360.png

I think it'd be a nice touch....or a planter with a water feature (as you are wondering about) would also be nice too.

I would say a good guess that is what we are getting there. Lol

eed9d57551064e5c43576a7925b9e9d3.jpg

• Like 7

The Carowinds sign (with the stars) appears to be the original entrance sign to the park--it is overshadowed by the Cabella's sign that is taller and in front of it.  So much so, that I missed the turn off to get in to the park last week (it was dark, and my GPS took me to the campground/employee parking entrance),  I was looking for a tall sign like at KI.

The second sign is in the entrance plaza of the revamped CW entrance.  It is used as a hangout/focal spot.  While not in that capacity, I could see this type of sign at the new parking toll entrance location.

• Like 1

The Carowinds sign (with the stars) appears to be the original entrance sign to the park--it is overshadowed by the Cabella's sign that is taller and in front of it.  So much so, that I missed the turn off to get in to the park last week (it was dark, and my GPS took me to the campground/employee parking entrance),  I was looking for a tall sign like at KI.

The second sign is in the entrance plaza of the revamped CW entrance.  It is used as a hangout/focal spot.  While not in that capacity, I could see this type of sign at the new parking toll entrance location.

Never understood why there wasn't a sign along I-77 for Carowinds similar to ours. The area around that park has built up over the last few years, with the Cabela's store under construction when I was there in July 2014. April 2015, the store was open for about a month at that point. I'd hate to see what traffic looks like during a busy weekend at the park with Cabela's being there using Avenue of the Carolinas.

I miss our old sign. Pretty sure Kings Dominion's sign is the original one from 1975. Ours lasted 30 years until being knocked down by straight-line winds.

• Like 5

I have always thought Kings Island deserves a more grand entrance than it currently has - not the front gate entrance, but the traffic entrance. As of now, Kings Island Dr. is extremely boring and bland (but they're working on it). The whole area really is just lackluster of any "magic". Driving to Kings Island isn't that exciting, in my opinion. A sign up front there will definitely add to it. But it won't be complete until all of Kings Island Dr. has been finished and the area comes together perfectly.

• Like 7

Zoning, sign regulations....

Back in 1973 until 1994, the Carowinds Monorail ran along side the Interstate. In 1975, Carowinds Corp sold the park but it didn't include the land next to the interstate directly under the monorail tracks. That land came warehouses and a mall. http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/monorailpath.jpg

Plus Carowinds was supposed to have a Hotel, Sports Complex, Marina. It would have been the Cedar Point of the Carolina for comparison, but with the park being closer to Disneyland than CP.

http://www.carowindsearlyyears.com/caro_center.html

As you can 3/4 of the way through the first season plans were announced that would have resulted in the Carowinds sign having to be moved, probably why they didn't build a tall sign for the park, knowing that a tall sign would cost more to build then move. The current sign is also the park's original sign with a few modifications.

• Like 7

Yeah it sucks. Haven't stepped foot in Kings Island or a roller coaster since May 22nd of last year. So it's been over 300 days. :(

I have you beaten by 200 days- as of today I stand at 568 days. Last roller coaster I rode was Beast @ Night on September 20th, 2014...however, there is light at the end of the tunnel if current plans do not change, as this "streak" will end at 594 days for me as we are planning a Kings Island trip on May 6th (earliest we can go- my sister doesn't want to do the madness of opening day and works the next week, so Week 3 it will be for me...hopefully so long as nothing changes...). :P Alas, I know the pain of waiting, but just imagine how much sweeter it will finally be when you sit on that first coaster after so long...I eagerly await it.

Plus I'll still get to read all the opening day trip reports and thus we have 2 more weeks to adjust our planned visit accordingly depending on what everyone else discovers is new-for-2016...

• Like 3

I really need to take advantage of the fact I drive by Kings Island everyday on my way back from school and let you guys know what's up. But, it looks like ^you got it!

That sounds pretty awesome. It will give the area more of a "resort" feel, if that makes sense. No, it's not just Kings Island, but also Soak City! ...catch my drift?

• Like 2