Disney Succession

Big news. Apparently because he wasn't all-but-assured the CEO position by the board?

It'll be tough for anyone to follow-up Iger. Massive growth across the park's division, animation studio, and live action, not to mention acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. But every year he stays, he makes increasingly more Eisner-esque choices that Mr. Kinzel might be proud of. Cuts, slashes, odd choices... 

And then there's Shanghai Disneyland, which Staggs was instrumental in -- predicted to take quite a while to recoup costs and apparently at fault for cuts at stateside parks. EuroDisney Part II? I trust that Disney did their due diligence, but it occurs to me that if the Shanghai park (which has almost nothing in common with any other Disney park on Earth, made up almost entirely of original attractions, a new layout, new landmarks, etc) were built in Illinois, they could charge $110 a day and the place would be packed to the gills. As it is, Shanghai Disneyland's peak pricing is less than $60US and it's been a bear to market to an audience that – frankly – hasn't gotten to know the Disney brand. Area of growth? I suppose. Good luck!

• Like 6

According to this Reuters article, the board would not guarantee Staggs the CEO/Chairman role, so he ("mutually") elected to leave the company...the article also quotes one analyst who believes that Disney is looking for someone with a stronger technology background to lead the company into the future (Sheryl Sandberg--who is already on Disney's board--was rumored as one potential candidate...)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-expands-search-ceo-coo-000518883.html

If they're looking for someone from tech, I also wonder about someone like Jeff Williams (Apple's COO) or B. Kevin Turner (from Microsoft).

• Like 2

I am not entirely sure Shanghai Disneyland could be an entire success as Disney is hoping. The economy in China is growing at its slowest rate since 1990 and the Chinese consumer is starting to feel it. But who knows, many theme parks have built rollercoasters and brand new theme parks during Recessions or slowing down of the economy. (I can think of Diamondback, Talon, Kings Dominon(1973-75 Recession), Adventure Express, Mean Streak, etc.)

I will leave the other story to good ol' Terp! :)

• Like 1

Let's put it this way.

Carowinds was slated for a bright and shining future. Mr. B. Kinzel didn't have an assigned role and responsibility in that future. He left Carowinds to pursue other opportunities.

"Left" is the key, I wonder what he is doing today

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/sheryl-sandberg-lean-lead-disney-article-1.2588895

There's a push for Sandberg,

I can see the need for tech knowledge, almost everything media wise is now digital, and there's a push to make some of the tech public as a " grow your own cartoon" option, but she would need a passel of flunkies to handle the media end, such TV, publicity, etc..

• Like 2

To be fair, who on Earth could they find to pilot one of the largest media companies in the world? Who out there has experience balanced between cable, film, animation, cruise lines, resort hotels, theme parks, merchandising, theater, and more? A perfect candidate probably doesn't exist. But you're right – tech is a big deal, lest we forget Disney's $1.5 billion+ bet on MyMagic+ and an expected global expansion of that program, which has been a bit of a cloud over Iger's operations.

Because I'm selfish, I'd love if the next CEO understood / cared about / cared for the Disney Parks & Resorts division. Comcast has seen the unimaginable success that can come from investing deep and wide in their Universal Parks. Disney could do even better given the right captain(s) at the helm. 

• Like 2

What?

I hear Bart Kinzel is available....

Terp -- running for the door.

Father and Son could run The Walt Disney Company!

Father has 40 plus years at Cedar Point!

"People Gotta Eat!" because "I'm an Operations guy, not a Finance guy!"

At least they could be getting Michael Eisner back...

• Like 3

Or Katzenberg, who I've heard isn't too fond of his role these days at Dreamworks.  In all seriousness, I'd throw out John Skipper's name.  He's been responsible for a big resurgence at ESPN, which is the darling division of the Mouse right now.  

• Like 1

Yes, any concerns with ESPN have to do with the whole "unbundling" phenomenon facing the entire cable channel industry itself...operationally, ESPN is as strong or stronger as it's ever been.

What's funny is that I did actually read one article that mentioned Jeffrey Katzenberg as a possible replacement for Iger...considering the ugliness that went down between Eisner and Katzenberg in the 90s that would be sort of like Cedar Fair hiring Jack Falfas to be the next CEO! :-)

• Like 2

There is little doubt in my mind J. Falfas was pushed aside at FUN by one D. Kinzel in an attempt to try to install a B. Kinzel.

Thanks to the attempted Apollo Global giveaway, instead two Kinzels eventually 'voluntarily' retired and left to seek other opportunities, respectively.

And FUN got a much more involved board.

There IS such a thing as staying too long.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Big news. Apparently because he wasn't all-but-assured the CEO position by the board?

It'll be tough for anyone to follow-up Iger. Massive growth across the park's division, animation studio, and live action, not to mention acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. But every year he stays, he makes increasingly more Eisner-esque choices that Mr. Kinzel might be proud of. Cuts, slashes, odd choices...

And then there's Shanghai Disneyland, which Staggs was instrumental in -- predicted to take quite a while to recoup costs and apparently at fault for cuts at stateside parks. EuroDisney Part II? I trust that Disney did their due diligence, but it occurs to me that if the Shanghai park (which has almost nothing in common with any other Disney park on Earth, made up almost entirely of original attractions, a new layout, new landmarks, etc) were built in Illinois, they could charge $110 a day and the place would be packed to the gills. As it is, Shanghai Disneyland's peak pricing is less than $60US and it's been a bear to market to an audience that – frankly – hasn't gotten to know the Disney brand. Area of growth? I suppose. Good luck!

#thanksshanghai on Twitter cracks me up, lol.

I've heard the rumor that perhaps Iger is wanting to stick around for longer than originally planned? Who knows.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1