Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I think we need to dispense with the timing issue on whether this is a coaster or not.  Its clear Ouimet runs the chain differently than Kinzel did, including with parks' future plans and how major attractions are added.  With Kings Island being one of CF's top tier parks and with Kings Island being a park that tries new things (remember how the park was the first to utilize Dinosaurs Alive!, Fast Lane, and the meal plans?), they could be trying out new ways to incorporate rides into their future, including how they're spaced.  Say what you want about how Holiday World is run, but with their addition of Thunderbird, Kings Island still has to keep on their toes.  Though Kentucky Kingdom is slightly more under KI's radar than what they were during the Six Flags era, they do share enough of a market where Kings Island has to make a mark.  Sure, the park has a fairly new Banshee under their belt and other things more in their favor, but they are still vying for customers from similar markets to HW and KK.  

I think a coaster for 2017, or anything equally surprising compared to what we're used to seeing from Kings Island would be perfectly warranted.  

See Kings Island's response to KK's build up in the late 90's.  

• Like 17

When i read about the suggestion of Camp Snoopy i was convinced, makes total sense due to the location. But the sign is for a more mature audiance. To introduce an addition to a childrens area I dont believe they would use an intimidating "CAUTION: WATCH FOR FALLING TREES".

• Like 12

• We could easily see a flat ride, a dark ride, or maybe a coaster (which would make no sense as it doesn't fit in with timelines)

It wouldn't be typical as of late, (post-Kinzel era). However, CP is getting Valravn after only 3 years. I'm curious if there was some kind of multi-coaster deal there or possibly if Valravn was originally intended for another park. If it is a wooden coaster at KI for '17, that will certainly be cheaper than any B&M which may make more sense ROI wise.

Annnnnnnd remember when Mr. Ouimet mentioned "replacing" SOB with another coaster to a member here, (I believe TheLip2). If you take that generally that would be Banshee. If you take that specifically that could be a new woodie. Trying to contain my anticipation.

***Edit: I went back and found it. Wow, that was 4 years ago!

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/25487-met-mr-ouimet-yesterday-sat-5512-at-ki-rip-sob/

• Like 6

I think CoasterChick is right.  It is a reference to the removal of the log flume.  I hate  to see it go.  It has been a staple of the kids section since the beginning and is one of the few rides transferred from Coney.  When I was growing up, a log flume was something every respectable park had to have.  Things change and the log ride at KI is not particularly notable like the one at Knotts'.  It isn't integral to the park.  Nobody says "have you ridden the log ride at Kings Island?"  It's just there.  It was built when the Dead Sea was just sick and maybe it is time to either make a major investment it or let it go.  I expect an announcement telling us to get our last rides in.  After that, who knows.  Maybe they change the signs to tease what is going to take it's place.

• Like 6

The log ride was scheduled for removal once before. IIRC, it closed down... and people complained. Loudly. It sat closed for an entire year, then instead of being removed, it was rethemed and reopened the following year as part of the kids' area instead of Rivertown.

If they do indeed announce the end of the log flume, I wonder if the same complaints will fly again, and if those complaints will be enough to save it again. It would be sad to lose another ride that was imported from Coney Island and opened with the park in 1972.

• Like 8

I do not believe a wooden coaster would generate any hype amongst the general public. I know most people are saying wood due to location and it's the non trendy thing to say. If you look at CF's top parks, they all have a giga except Kings Island. Just as the inverted hole was filled with Banshee I am hoping the trend is followed here and a new 325-350 giga towers over KI in 2017.

• Like 2

I'm personally not buying the idea that this fence and all the buzz is for anything other than a coaster! To me the question is wood or steel? My prediction is that trees will be removed from the surrounding area that RFYLCB formerly occupied, then we'll start seeing other land clearing which will clear a path directly out to the parking lot while running along the border of Picnic Grove. The we'll see the project take a right turn while running along the parking lot edge and the misc office buildings out to the brand new entrance gate where the project will come to an end. My prediction is that it will be an out-and-back B&M Giga Coaster, and a much needed new entrance plaza.

The addition of this coaster IMO will add balance to the park being on the opposite side of their current newest major attraction, which will shrink down the boundary of Planet Snoopy,  and extend the adult/teen oriented part of the park where Diamondback is located.

Still there's always the chance of Cedar Fair's first project with RMC, which could explain the falling trees warning sign? I do not think that CF will add a GCI wooden coaster to one of their bigger parks like KI due to the High Capacity needs of over 3 million guests per year. A new wooden coaster for KI would be too big, and will get beat to hell over the course of a season with the 3 larger and longer trains that it will need to reach the destined capacity. Lets not forget the most recent bad experience KI has had with SOB, and how they do still have a top-10 woodie in The Beast, which I'm sure  requires it's fair share of ridiculous maintenance costs regularly. Which makes me think that CF will take the safe and guaranteed route with one of their highly attended parks like KI.

If KI does indeed receive an RMC, I think it has a lot to do with all the site clearing at Cedar Point, and their future. CP IMO is not done making noise in the coaster industry just yet after constructing Valravn. I think Cedar Point will make another new addition sooner than expected, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's a large B&M that occupies the spot Mean Streak currently sits on, and goes out to where the go-carts and Sky Scraper used be, maybe out to where STR used to be?  I dunno just my personal predictions.

• Like 5

I do not believe a wooden coaster would generate any hype amongst the general public. I know most people are saying wood due to location and it's the non trendy thing to say. If you look at CF's top parks, they all have a giga except Kings Island. Just as the inverted hole was filled with Banshee I am hoping the trend is followed here and a new 325-350 giga towers over KI in 2017.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg would probably disagree.

• Like 4

To anyone stating this is a Giga or should be a Giga

Why would we have a Giga right next to Diamondback? You know... A Giga is mostly the same thing, depending on what the park wants.

In my city there are two Thorntons gas stations directly across from each other and they are now working on the third to occupy 3 of 4 corners on an intersection.

• Like 9

Since I don't like the dig about falling trees, I'm hoping it is a cutesy clue to the name of the coming attraction. So, like someone mentioned, Lumberjack. Timber, or a play on that would make sense as well.

As for type of ride, I don't even want to speculate. To me, for it to be either a giga or a woodie, it would be near excellent somewhat similar rides, either way. I'm partial to wooden, so if they could do something different from Beast but fun in its own way, I'd be happy with that.

I also hope we get some sort of further hint if not outright announcement next month at Coasterstock. I'm already terribly excited for the event, so it would be extra gravy.

• Like 8

^^ Right, their job is to hype new attractions as much as possible. It's not in their best interest for everyone to know. IF it's a coaster the telltale signs will emerge.

Also guys, I know we live in a marketing dominated-business world, but remember it is much more important for a new attraction to be good than marketable. SOB was perhaps the most marketable coaster ever built, and how many millions went down the tube with that one? If it's wooden, you might not be able to hype records but it might just be the most fun ride in the park.

• Like 3

Hmmmm, watch for falling trees. What would cause falling trees?

Lumberjacks, so obviously a lumberjack show....

My original thought was a topple tower but I am pretty sure that it is no longer produced and I cannot see Cedar Fair being crazy enough to ever try.

It might be obvious quickly what kind of attraction we are getting. Might be better to watch for clearing and construction more then trying to guess based a very vague sign. But the wild speculation can be fun.

• Like 5

How early in the 2013 season did we get the first tease for Banshee? This seems very early to be teasing for something that's not a rollercoaster.

Banshee was being teased opening day 2013. I also do feel like its way to early to tease for a flat ride. WindSeeker wasn't even teased.

• Like 3