Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

^Michigan's Adventure would like to disagree with you. 

They can disagree all they want, but they are unlikely to see a B&M anytime soon.  Cedar Fair only buys $20+ million dollar rides from B&M.  I do think Michigan's Adventure will receive a new coaster in the next few years, just not a B&M.  With attendance estimated to be below 1 million people a year the best they are likely to see is a $10 million dollar ride.  Lots of great rides can fit in that kind of budget just not a B&M.

Valleyfair is in the same position.  Likely to see a new ride but not a B&M.

• Like 1

Some have thought that Canada's Wonderland will remove their Vekoma SLC later this year to make room for a B&M Invert. That would be interesting to see and compare to Banshee. I am trying to think if there is a B&M invert after Banshee that has the same restraint system. Certainly, KD is due for something, but they have the revamp of Hurler being done by GCI. With Knott's getting their woodie revamped by GCI this season, it makes me wonder if they will get a completely new roller coaster next year or possibly have to wait a year or two more. Maybe, Canada's Wonderland will get some new B&M launched product as a trial of sorts before CP gets their major 2020 ride! Isn't CW where they do most of their ride concept testing? Back to the others, I'd love to see a hyper at KD in 2017 along with a giga at KI, but that would probably bump up the capital expenditures for next year higher than they might want though. Then again, they've had a number of record years in a row, so anything could happen!

• Like 2

CW is usually there testing ground, usually flats. CW has a very well rounded flat ride collection, and I would call it the testing ground for CF. I don't think they are the testing ground for coasters though, for a obvious example look at Gatekeeper. 

Like I said earlier I'm not gonna rule out anything for now, it is too early to be ruling out options. I personally will be happy with anything, It could be a giga,woodie, a "woodie" or even a wild mouse. I'm waiting to see some more construction before I make an educated guess, I know I'm personally going to be riding the train a little more often. While I said I'm waiting to see what it is before I make a guess, I doubt hype practically 1 1/2 years before it opens would be a flat ride.

As this is my first experience with decoding I'm happy to be able to experience it in all of its glory, May the clue hunting begin.

• Like 7

It is hard to rule out almost anything, but I'll take a stab at some options that are likely off the table for now...

- new record-breaking TOGO standup

- RMC (unless that is at CW)

- Intamin anything (and that hurts, especially since I like Intamin coasters)

- Vekoma flyer

- World record-breaking dive coaster

- an S&S Arrow X2-like coaster

The odds for those rides are likely not in works, but who knows!

• Like 6

CW is usually there testing ground, usually flats. CW has a very well rounded flat ride collection, and I would call it the testing ground for CF. I don't think they are the testing ground for coasters though, for a obvious example look at Gatekeeper. 

Like I said earlier I'm not gonna rule out anything for now, it is too early to be ruling out options. I personally will be happy with anything, It could be a giga,woodie, a "woodie" or even a wild mouse. I'm waiting to see some more construction before I make an educated guess, I know I'm personally going to be riding the train a little more often. While I said I'm waiting to see what it is before I make a guess, I doubt hype practically 1 1/2 years before it opens would be a flat ride.

As this is my first experience with decoding I'm happy to be able to experience it in all of its glory, May the clue hunting begin.

GCI is not doing Hurler, it's in house, I don't consider Canada's Wonderland the testing ground for anything

• Like 1

They can disagree all they want, but they are unlikely to see a B&M anytime soon. Cedar Fair only buys $20+ million dollar rides from B&M. I do think Michigan's Adventure will receive a new coaster in the next few years, just not a B&M. With attendance estimated to be below 1 million people a year the best they are likely to see is a $10 million dollar ride. Lots of great rides can fit in that kind of budget just not a B&M.

Valleyfair is in the same position. Likely to see a new ride but not a B&M.

ded2081d59d96f81b85d3c83d8ac5647.jpg

This is from Cedar Fair's website. The top three parks for revenue and EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization) in 2015 were Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm, and Kings Island.

I agree that the cash cows of the chain will get the B&M coasters and big attractions. On the other hand, look at Carowinds and the $30 million B&M that opened last year.

• Like 4

They can disagree all they want, but they are unlikely to see a B&M anytime soon.  Cedar Fair only buys $20+ million dollar rides from B&M.  I do think Michigan's Adventure will receive a new coaster in the next few years, just not a B&M.  With attendance estimated to be below 1 million people a year the best they are likely to see is a $10 million dollar ride.  Lots of great rides can fit in that kind of budget just not a B&M.

Uh...I was just correcting him in his saying that Valleyfair was the only CF park without a B&M.  I don't know how you interpreted all of that from my small post...

silver2005, also learning the darndest things around here. 

• Like 7

They can disagree all they want, but they are unlikely to see a B&M anytime soon. Cedar Fair only buys $20+ million dollar rides from B&M. I do think Michigan's Adventure will receive a new coaster in the next few years, just not a B&M. With attendance estimated to be below 1 million people a year the best they are likely to see is a $10 million dollar ride. Lots of great rides can fit in that kind of budget just not a B&M.

Valleyfair is in the same position. Likely to see a new ride but not a B&M.

ded2081d59d96f81b85d3c83d8ac5647.jpg

This is from Cedar Fair's website. The top three parks for revenue and EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization) in 2015 were Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm, and Kings Island.

I agree that the cash cows of the chain will get the B&M coasters and big attractions. On the other hand, look at Carowinds and the $30 million B&M that opened last year.

Cedar Point is certainly a cash cow. They are charging $149 for Fast Lane Plus on saturdays in July! Also Carowinds may have had a huge revenue spike with Fury and they had even less before it. A guy on Fury 325 media day from Cedar Fair said that they had a huge spike with Intimidator so they invested in Carowinds again. I don't think Carowinds will be getting a new ride for a long time. When i was there in july there were no lines for the dry park when it was 80 and sunny.
  • Like 4

What we do know is from their "Capital Investment Strategy" image,  2016 Is for CP and then we have 4 more years for big major thrill rides.  And next year also is suppose to be a Mid-size thrill ride and a ride removal.  I don't think any other park has started to tease for next year yet, so we are the first.  Something to chew on.  B)

• Like 7

Uh...I was just correcting him in his saying that Valleyfair was the only CF park without a B&M.  I don't know how you interpreted all of that from my small post...

silver2005, also learning the darndest things around here. 

Sorry about that, I totally missed the fact that you were responding to the fact that Valleyfair did not have a B&M.  To my knowledge those are the only two parks owned by Cedar Fair which do not have a B&M.  

• Like 3

Is anyone going to archive the webcam images like was done for the Banshee construction. It was a nice resource for those who couldn't watch the cams all day to be able to keep an eye on what was going on.  Granted, due to location, I don't know that the webcam shots will be as easy to decode this time. 

• Like 4

I have to wonder if trying to figure out which Cedar Fair park is getting a B&M this year is another way to look at this issue.  Since 2004 Cedar Fair has built one B&M every year except for 3 years, 2007 where none were built, 2008 which had two, and 2011 which had none.  

The chances that some park in the chain will get a B&M is VERY good.  So there are 12 parks in the chain.  The only parks I would consider as possible for getting a B&M in 2017 based on park size, attendance, and time since last major ride are

Canada's Wonderland - They got Wonder Mountain in 2014, before that Leviathan in 2012.  It feels like it might be their time.

Knott's Berry Farm - Been a while except for Voyage to the Iron Reef, Last coaster was a wild mouse in 2013, before that Pony Express in 2008

King's Island - Banshee in 2014, and Diamondback in 2009

King's Dominion - Last big ride was Intimidator in 2010

If I had to take bets I would say Knott's or Canada's Wonderland.  I am pretty sure someone on this list is getting a big B&M for 2017.  I expect we get a good attraction for next year I just have my doubts about it being a giga or even a B&M for that matter.

If you want to look at it that way (and I think its a good way at looking at things, though certainly no guarantee) its also worth looking at what parks are showing signs of potential large scale B&M construction?

We know KI has at least some clearing, for something.  What other parks show signs of future enhancements?

I'd also add, I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but that seems like a potentially really good space for a B&M Dive Machine.  I'm not sure that the Chain would want to install 2 similar coasters at KI & CF in back to back years given that their market overlaps to a degree, but I could see that area as a big, swooping turnaround similar to how Banshee interacts with the pathway off its lift hill.  Let it run back to interact with the WWC reservoir a bit in the later half of the ride.  Even a name like falling timber w/ an interactive sound of a tree starting to crack, then crash to the forest floor just as the brake is released on the first hill (similar to Banshee's wail) could be incorporated.

Not my first choice (though I've never been on a dive machine) as I'm rooting for a GCI (with no clue to what is actually going in, may not even be a coaster for all I know), but seems like a good spot for such a ride, and potential themeing that would fit both the area and the signage.

• Like 4

Is anyone going to archive the webcam images like was done for the Banshee construction. It was a nice resource for those who couldn't watch the cams all day to be able to keep an eye on what was going on.  Granted, due to location, I don't know that the webcam shots will be as easy to decode this time. 

We can still see a great deal of what's going on with the are, especially since we can look at the forest behind the location and keep up with it.

• Like 3

I have a brilliant idea! We can all just wait till they announce what's going in that place! lol  I don't see how anyone says it's a giga cause that would be kinda small in my opinion.

There are a lot of construction and tree removal markers in the woods, you can only see so many from the train so i wonder how many there are in the woods, i would like them to keep as many trees as possible, then we can have a one of a kind night ride! 

• Like 2

We can still see a great deal of what's going on with the are, especially since we can look at the forest behind the location and keep up with it.

If they don't take that line of trees by the train station down, seeing footer layouts and types will be near impossible. Even if they take those down, at this distance, it'll still be tough. Banshee was a much better site to spy on. 

Hey Don, how about moving the webcam to the top of Diamondback's lift? lol

• Like 7

I also posted this in the "Project 2017?" thread.

I was talking about the 5 year plan with my mom, and she thinks that next year's ride removal is gonna be WWC. I mentioned the new entrance queue, because why go through that work the year before you remove something? She said maybe the new WWC entrance is a cover, and they'll use it for the new ride after removing WWC. Makes me go "Hmm..."

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

• Like 5

If we do get a new/replacement flume, my hopes is that it will be a Hopkins product.  Daredevil Falls at Dollywood is pretty much my favorite flume ride ever.  If KI could create a flume with even 1/4 the theming that Dollywood used and puts in a decent size drop, that would be spectacular and a very worthy replacement for RFYLCB. 

• Like 6