Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I am very intrigued about what it could possibly be.

Things That It Could Be(Strikethrough represents something that is not likely to happen, but could possibly.)

Flat Ride(They would not be hyping this early for a flat ride)

Giga

Wooden Rollercoaster

Dive Machine

Launched 

Dark Ride

Family Rollercoaster

Floorless

Stand Up

Thats all I can think of so far.. 

This thread is in a really weird limbo period in that before we start seeing a lot of evidence of what it could be, but at the same time in speculation mode. 

• Like 3

Things That It Could Be(Strikethrough represents something that is not likely to happen, but could possibly.)

Giga

Wooden Rollercoaster

Dive Machine

Launched 

Dark Ride

Family Rollercoaster

Floorless

Stand Up

Thats all I can think of so far.. 

You left out a couple......think a little harder  ;)

• Like 8

(Not to double post. but evidence talking)

List of all coaster above 300ft. (From the RCDB link above)

1st 456 ft Kingda Ka 5/21/2005
2nd 420 ft Top Thrill Dragster 5/4/2003
3rd 415 ft Superman: Escape from Krypton 3/15/1997

4th 377.3 ft Tower of Terror II 1997
5th 325 ft Fury 325 3/28/2015
6th 318.3 ft Steel Dragon 2000 8/1/2000
7th 310 ft Millennium Force 5/13/2000
8th 306 ft Leviathan 5/6/2012
9th 305 ft Intimidator 305 4/2/2010

Now... If Fury is the tallest giga... why is there another roller coaster at 377.3 feet (marked in default colour)

I just wanted to point out another thing too. That ride (Tower of Terror) is also build in 1997. 3 years before Millie was born. 

And along with that. Another ride Superman: Escape from Krypton, was also build in 1997. Isn't that the first Strata coaster? 

Or are these just considered Roller flat-rides? hmm....

If we took those two rides out that were opened in 1997, then there is only, technically, 7 roller coasters taller than 300ft.

• Like 7

Superman and tower of terror are not "full circuit" coasters which I'm guessing is why Fury is the tallest giga

They're still a roller coaster though. A coaster reaching 350+ feet

I agree, they are coasters but I'm saying maybe to have the title of Giga it's not strictly based on height but also has to be full circuit. Just trying to come up with possible explanations for Fury and Millie's title of first and tallest

• Like 5

(Not to double post. but evidence talking)

List of all coaster above 300ft. (From the RCDB link above)

1st 456 ft Kingda Ka 5/21/2005

2nd 420 ft Top Thrill Dragster 5/4/2003

3rd 415 ft Superman: Escape from Krypton 3/15/1997

4th 377.3 ft Tower of Terror II 1997

5th 325 ft Fury 325 3/28/2015

6th 318.3 ft Steel Dragon 2000 8/1/2000

7th 310 ft Millennium Force 5/13/2000

8th 306 ft Leviathan 5/6/2012

9th 305 ft Intimidator 305 4/2/2010

Now... If Fury is the tallest giga... why is there another roller coaster at 377.3 feet (marked in default colour)

I just wanted to point out another thing too. That ride (Tower of Terror) is also build in 1997. 3 years before Millie was born. 

And along with that. Another ride Superman: Escape from Krypton, was also build in 1997. Isn't that the first Strata coaster? 

Or are these just considered Roller flat-rides? hmm....

If we took those two rides out that were opened in 1997, then there is only, technically, 7 roller coasters taller than 300ft.

Superman and tower of terror are not "full circuit" coasters which I'm guessing is why Fury is the tallest giga

They're still a roller coaster though. A coaster reaching 350+ feet

Ultimately, everybody has their own opinions about roller coasters and what to call each and what category to put each in. There are some gray areas (take the whole RMC coasters out there... some consider those wooden while others do not). Still, the industry typically considers gigas to have to meet a few criteria: (1) lift hill of 300-399ft in height, (2) full circuit course, and some will even contend that the drop needs to be 300+. For strata coasters, there are similar types of consensus within the industry but that these are 400+ ft in height. Some might argue that a roller coaster with a 250ft hill but that has a 300+ ft drop would qualify. Others might contend that a coaster that is 300ft tall buy with a sub-300ft drop would not qualify, but, luckily (or unluckily), there are not many above 300ft in height... The Superman ride at SFMM and Tower of Terror coasters typically are classified purely as shuttle coasters [not full circuit], and therefore don't get categorized as gigas.

Here is what is noted on Wikipedia (for what it's worth: "A strata coaster is a type of roller coaster with a height or drop that is 400 feet (120 m) or more and completes a full circuit. Only two strata coasters have been built, both of which utilize Intamin's hydraulically launched accelerator coaster design. The first was Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point, which opened in 2003 at a height of 420 feet (130 m). The second was Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure, which opened in 2005 at a height of 456 feet (139 m) – also making it the tallest roller coaster in the world. Superman: Escape From Krypton at Six Flags Magic Mountain was the first to break the 400-foot (120 m) barrier, but since it is a shuttle roller coaster that does not complete a full circuit and its drop is only 328 feet (100 m), some do not classify it as a strata roller coaster." see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_coaster#By_height

-----

What will be interesting is how people classify the new roller coaster being built at Ferrari Land [Port Aventura] in Spain. That ride is full circuit and was designed by Intamin using the same type of launch system as Top Thrill Dragster [CP], Kingda Ka [six Flags Great Adventure], and Xcelerator [Knott's]. That park elected to make this launched roller coaster short of 400ft, Instead, it will be short of 370ft but offer a similar track layout as the other Intamin strata coasters. Many purist consider hypers and gigas to only be classified as such if they use a traditional lift hill of sorts in lieu of a launch system. If classified as a giga, this will be the first to include a launch. 

With that being said, if the Kings Island 2017 plans are to include a giga that is taller than Carowinds' Fury 325, don't you think they will want it to be taller than the new one built for Ferrari Land? Let's say the plan is for it to be a giga, how tall do you think Cedar Fair will want it to be? Initially (before remembering about this Ferrari Land coaster), I thought it would be 350ft tall, but now I'm leaning towards 375ft. If that is the case, this would also allow B&M to get closer to building its first strata...

Well, that's enough of a rant for now. What are your thoughts? Heck, Kings Island should just make it 399.99 feet tall and be done with it... it would be hard for anybody to then take away the title of World's Tallest Giga, right?

• Like 4

Never judge a book by its cover. You never know what it could be. They could just as easily hype a flat ride as much as they can a roller coaster.

When is the last time you have ever seen a theme park or amusement park start teasing this early for a flat ride addition???

• Like 3

Only thing turning me away from a giga at this point in time is the lack of tree removal, but I haven't seen the site!

Yes, but there may be a lot more done that we can't see due to being hidden by other trees. Plus it's still rather early on.

I was thinking this before but I thought you guys would think I was crazy, but do you think they might actually get a strata? Like, first conventional lift, non-launching strata? Because to me, it won't be much longer before B&M will do this. I personally think it'll be a giga, but once you get to the 380'+ mark, why not just go all the way?

• Like 1

All these posts regarding the history of the park, could we see a flat ride with a story revolving around the park's history? Maybe since it's close to The Beast, the trees falling could be from The Beast itself. A dark ride themed to The Beast terrorizing the park and it has a forest theme? I'd be just as hyped for that as I would for a giga.

• Like 3