Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Hello everyone I've been following thus forums for about seven years now and always enjoy everyone's input. I've officially decided to join in this year as I always find myself with comments back to people's post that don't make it on here. But I bought my kids Kings Island good passes today (partially because I wanted to see all of the area in speculation) and while we were there me and my two year ventured to the train where she told me that she really wanted to ride Diamondback my little girl has no fear compared to her older sisters. But while on the train I really didn't see any evidence that points to a new coaster. All I saw was some trees cut down and some not even at the base and a lot of trees with green dots on them? I don't know what this could be I would love another coaster but I'm at a loss on this one. I worked at the park for many years and my last year I was the supervisor at ice scream zone and as soon as the offseason ended and we all saw the fence up in mid march we knew it was a coaster but with this it could be anything. Also I was the very first person to experiment with Banshee twist ice cream a week before it was announced and I hated every minute of it lol such a mess. :-)

• Like 9

Hello everyone I've been following thus forums for about seven years now and always enjoy everyone's input. I've officially decided to join in this year as I always find myself with comments back to people's post that don't make it on here. But I bought my kids Kings Island good passes today (partially because I wanted to see all of the area in speculation) and while we were there me and my two year ventured to the train where she told me that she really wanted to ride Diamondback my little girl has no fear compared to her older sisters. But while on the train I really didn't see any evidence that points to a new coaster. All I saw was some trees cut down and some not even at the base and a lot of trees with green dots on them? I don't know what this could be I would love another coaster but I'm at a loss on this one. I worked at the park for many years and my last year I was the supervisor at ice scream zone and as soon as the offseason ended and we all saw the fence up in mid march we knew it was a coaster but with this it could be anything. Also I was the very first person to experiment with Banshee twist ice cream a week before it was announced and I hated every minute of it lol such a mess. :-)

Welcome! And I was just wondering why you believe there is a lack of evidence? And is it lack of evidence for a roller coaster or just a ride in general?

• Like 1

Just for a roller coaster and I'm not saying it couldn't be I by no means am a coaster expert. And I also don't know what wwc looks like or if there is any evidence back there but from what I saw in the train today it looked like random trees being chopped down. But im sure there is a plan and good reason for all of it.also thank you

• Like 1

Both Banshee and Diamondback were much farther along at this point in the season. I'm beginning to lose hope for a coaster at all.

Way too early to be thinking that.  The first piece of Banshee track was installed in August.  That gives them 4 months to get ready for starting to install track.  If our speculation is accurate and it is a long thin coaster then they do not even need the entire path to be ready at that point in time.

• Like 8

Both Banshee and Diamondback were much farther along at this point in the season. I'm beginning to lose hope for a coaster at all.

Way too early to be thinking that. The first piece of Banshee track was installed in August. That gives them 4 months to get ready for starting to install track. If our speculation is accurate and it is a long thin coaster then they do not even need the entire path to be ready at that point in time.

I do agree tho that it is way too early to rule anything out.

• Like 2

Just for a roller coaster and I'm not saying it couldn't be I by no means am a coaster expert. And I also don't know what wwc looks like or if there is any evidence back there but from what I saw in the train today it looked like random trees being chopped down. But im sure there is a plan and good reason for all of it.also thank you

I ran into someone at the park who had a great explanation for what they are doing.  Basically you first go through and mark the trees which are valuable and can be sold for lumber.  Those are the trees which are getting the green marks.  They will be cut first and hauled off.  Then you come back through and just level everything that is left with heavy machinery.  Once you get an idea of what is going on I felt like only the big trees were marked and it no longer felt random.

• Like 4

And who may that be? ^

Vortex Lover being a little bit Terp'y

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Just another guest who was riding the train trying to figure out what the park is up to.

Okay just making sure it wasn't the Dippin Dots guy lol

• Like 11

I ran into someone at the park who had a great explanation for what they are doing. Basically you first go through and mark the trees which are valuable and can be sold for lumber. Those are the trees which are getting the green marks. They will be cut first and hauled off. Then you come back through and just level everything that is left with heavy machinery. Once you get an idea of what is going on I felt like only the big trees were marked and it no longer felt random.

That's actually a good point I didn't pay attention to the size of the trees that were marked only that they were I will have to pay more attention next time I go.

• Like 1

And who may that be? ^

Vortex Lover being a little bit Terp'y

Just another guest who was riding the train trying to figure out what the park is up to.
Okay just making sure it wasn't the Dippin Dots guy lol

Sadly at one point in time I was a dippin dots guy lol

• Like 11

New in 2017: World's largest Dippin Dots opens at King's Island.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

We have the largest Starbucks why can't we have the largest Dipping Dots stand haha. Hey what can go wrong

• Like 2

The lumber next to the dirt pile beside the train I mentioned Friday:

0ccee224181d2db303954124cca63c59.jpg

And how the trees are marked for removal:

be5ff196046b8835427f37b99880c3dd.jpg

The trees thus marked definitely appear to be running in paths through the woods, alongside the pink markers. Some of the trees that were cut down and/or removed between opening weekend and yesterday appear to have been the ones nearest to the tracks that I noticed were painted opening weekend, in case anyone wants further confirmation that the green dots mark them for removal.

While it doesn't account for all of the apparent "paths" in the woods, much of the work thus far is running along the path where WWC's entrance used to run. Which makes sense, to use the clearing they already have, especially if they intend to keep as much of the wooded feel as possible.

• Like 9

If you haven't visited the site vintageaerial.com, it is really interesting.  I have searched the Warren County area in the past for shots of the Kings Island area before it was built, but the older pictures don't have the flight path they used detailed like they have more recent pics.

Anyway, I did a quick search of the Columbia Road area from 1968, and came across this.  I'm not saying this is the house, but if you compare this pic to shots of the fort in the Bing maps view, it does look similar.  Maybe someone that has actually saw the old house could confirm or deny?  Once again, this shot is from 1968.  Other pics of the area:  http://vintageaerial.com/photos/ohio/warren/1968/OWA/58

058-OWA-36.jpghttp://assets.vintageaerial.com/39/165/1968/OWA/650x433w/058-OWA-36.jpg

Screenshot%202016-04-25%20at%208.36.36%2

• Like 11

If you haven't visited the site vintageaerial.com, it is really interesting.  I have searched the Warren County area in the past for shots of the Kings Island area before it was built, but the older pictures don't have the flight path they used detailed like they have more recent pics.

Anyway, I did a quick search of the Columbia Road area from 1968, and came across this.  I'm not saying this is the house, but if you compare this pic to shots of the fort in the Bing maps view, it does look similar.  Maybe someone that has actually saw the old house could confirm or deny?  Once again, this shot is from 1968.  Other pics of the area:  http://vintageaerial.com/photos/ohio/warren/1968/OWA/58

058-OWA-36.jpghttp://assets.vintageaerial.com/39/165/1968/OWA/650x433w/058-OWA-36.jpg

Just a question, I'm guessing that the house you are talking about is right next to the woods. The roof and house structure seem very similar to me. This seems extremely likely but I haven't seen the full house so I can't really say if it's the house in the fort. (I've only seen it from Birdseye so I'm not 100% on it)

• Like 1