Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Can anyone confirm what type of trees are being marked? There is a possibility that the tree removal going on could be because they are trying to eradicate the Emarld Ash Borer ( beetle ). But back to the coaster subject, I don't see KI getting a massive coaster such as a giga in this location, this soon after Banshee. I'm not throwing out the possibility of it being a coaster tho, considering the Point got 2 coasters 3 years apart. That would be the same amount of years between Banshee 2014 and a possible coaster for 2017. But nothing of the size of a giga.

I mean, some trees have clearly been killed by the ash borer. But I don't think that's relevant to the signs or the work being done. If there was really any risk at all of trees falling then the midway would certainly be closed. The signs are a teaser.
  • Like 14

In the majority of places where some trees have been/are being cleared due to the Emerald Ash Borer, they have cleared every single Ash. Not gone along and picked which ones. Look at the area that was cleared near Bethel. It will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

• Like 4

I also liked Maverick, but when I rode it the capacity was terrible, could have been a disabled guest or something else that slowed down operations, but I waited in the Fast Lane line for a long time, it was all the way out to about the entrance for the Fast Lane line.

Last time I went to CP in 2014,  Maverick was the longest line, I think it was 90 mins. or longer. Capacity could be the thing that is prevent it going to other parks. 

I also can't see CF working with Intamin again

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

^^ Bingo! 

As of now, current signs point to Cedar Fair not working with Intamin. However, that's not to say they won't in the future.....guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 4

In the majority of places where some trees have been/are being cleared due to the Emerald Ash Borer, they have cleared every single Ash. Not gone along and picked which ones. Look at the area that was cleared near Bethel. It will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

I'm from Bethel. The Asian Longhorned Beetle infestation that's taking place out here requires thousands and thousands of trees to be cut down across Tate Township and in the Village of Bethel. Not picked about like the ones at the park.

It is unlawful to transport firewood to neighboring Townships and Villages

Devastating. Property values unfortunately can and have taken a hit.

Back on topic...

• Like 11

I truly would not mind getting a coaster like Maverick especially if it is built by B&M or Mack. Cheaper than most, they pack a punch, better reliability and capacity, and more comfortable seating if built by one of those two companies. And it is very popular at Cedar Point and it would be here too Plus I can actually visually see it in my mind being there and fitting perfectly!

• Like 4

I'd like to imagine that, if a coaster will indeed roll through the Rivertown forests next Spring, it would have a minimum height requirement of 48". The previous three installs were 54" (Blaze Cardinal, Big Red Machine & Flying Purple People Eater), and the last install at 48" was 2005's Backyard Stunt Coaster (not counting Spuds' Suds the following year). We really need another coaster that everyone in the family can ride with the same amount of thrills experienced on Diamondback and The Beast.

• Like 6

I don't feel like KI would get a hydraulic launch, especially with Mack or B&M as (as far as I know) both have only used LIMs and tire launch. I have (on other threads and very early in this one) said I would love if we got a Mack or B&M blitz coaster like Maverick is one of my tops. It would be a great coaster, probably better than a giga, but in my opinion, it is much harder to market to the GP. A giga is the safe way to go, but a small, multi launch, blitz coaster would fit the best. Anyone know if Mack launch coasters are as intense as Intamin? And are the launches on Macks and B&Ms as intense as Intamin? With these small coasters, they would kind of need to be or else they lose their whole purpose really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Big parks shouldn't be afraid to add in smaller coasters. They do have more demographics to work with than the thrill seeking crowd.

They can build less thrilling coasters, but they shouldn't add low capacity coasters.
I agree 100%!!! I like some of the newer coaster concepts like the 4D Coasters from S&S and the Sky Loop from Premier but the capacity for those rides are very low compared to the likes of Banshee and Diamondback.
  • Like 4

Big parks shouldn't be afraid to add in smaller coasters. They do have more demographics to work with than the thrill seeking crowd.

They can build less thrilling coasters, but they shouldn't add low capacity coasters.
I agree 100%!!! I like some of the newer coaster concepts like the 4D Coasters from S&S and the Sky Loop from Premier but the capacity for those rides are very low compared to the likes of Banshee and Diamondback.

I would like to see a full sized X2 4D coaster someday, its unlikely but it would be cool and something unique 

I don't feel like KI would get a hydraulic launch, especially with Mack or B&M as (as far as I know) both have only used LIMs and tire launch. I have (on other threads and very early in this one) said I would love if we got a Mack or B&M blitz coaster like Maverick is one of my tops. It would be a great coaster, probably better than a giga, but in my opinion, it is much harder to market to the GP. A giga is the safe way to go, but a small, multi launch, blitz coaster would fit the best. Anyone know if Mack launch coasters are as intense as Intamin? And are the launches on Macks and B&Ms as intense as Intamin? With these small coasters, they would kind of need to be or else they lose their whole purpose really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefire and Helix are considered to be great launch coasters and both are made by Mack. Bluefire has amazing capacity with 5 cars and can put through 1700+ in a hour. What it really comes down to is if CF is willing to put in a large lauch coaster from them, Helix cost nearly 30 million.

• Like 2

Even with a "credit" for Shoot the Rapids, I doubt Cedar Fair would be interested in building a new install from Intamin.

Even if they built KI a $20 million coaster for free, history has proven that many Intamin installs have had to have expensive modifications made, prior to opening (Maverick), after being opened (Wicked Twister, I305, STR) and let's not get into downtime...

• Like 4

I would like to see a full sized X2 4D coaster someday, its unlikely but it would be cool and something unique 

I saw a Youtube video of one of the IAAPA conventions where S&S was showing off a concept of a full train high capacity 4D coaster. I'll link if I can find it.

Edit: Is something like this what you are talking about? - 

I remember them mentioning something about working on a way to get rid of the extra rail used to control the seat rotation.
  • Like 3

Why does everyone think this attraction will be a coaster ? I don't see a big coaster coming in until the park's 50th Anniversary.

I am kinda still on the fence about if we are getting a "big coaster" or not, I still believe the construction taking place could be just preemptive upgrades to the parks infrastructure to make a substantial upgrade to the Rivertown area for 2018.

The clearing of trees in paths make the coaster junkie inside myself say coaster, but what if the clearing could become a route for the train?

Just speculation...

• Like 3