Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

I rode Shockwave in 2014. Being that I never rode King Cobra while it was at Kings Island, I definitely wanted to experience it. 

I had heard before my visit that SkyRider at CW was being removed at the end of the season, and didn't think the future looked well for Shockwave.

I had to ride it then because I knew I wasn't able to get back to that park for awhile.

And I didn't sense your sarcasm earlier. Much easier to tell face to face than behind a computer screen.

• Like 5

Long time reader, first time poster here. I really enjoy some of the insightful comments many of you have.

I don't know if this has been suggested so far, but what about a B&M launch coaster like Thunderbird at HW? It could potentially fit to the terrain.

Welcome to KIC!

• Like 3

Long time reader, first time poster here. I really enjoy some of the insightful comments many of you have.

I don't know if this has been suggested so far, but what about a B&M launch coaster like Thunderbird at HW? It could potentially fit to the terrain.

Welcome to KIC!

At this point, anything is possible... but I don't think many would be disappointed if whatever it is ends up being as good as Tbunderbird.

I think Ryan and Don switched places.....
  • Like 4

Yes it's my understanding that most of the water used for WWC is runoff from other areas. I was kind of hoping that they would pour concrete into the basin and use fresh water someday.

​Also the pumps for the ride were lying in the area near the round table and might have been replacements or repaired to be placed back into the ride.

Should be good as new on Memorial day. I'm anxious to see if the blacktop path to the ride will be replaced with concrete as with the new path.

• Like 2

Welcome to KIC!

At this point, anything is possible... but I don't think many would be disappointed if whatever it is ends up being as good as Tbunderbird.

I think Ryan and Don switched places.....

Uhh... what?

• Like 8

Just remember, the time frame between Diamondback and Banshee was 5 years, what you guys are predicting is a 3 year cycle for large coasters. I just honestly cannot see Kings Island purchasing a large coaster like a Giga for 2017. It would make the skyline to the right of Kings Island look packed and it would feel awkward sitting next to another B&M coaster. Sorry folks, but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid, I just can't side with this. 

• Like 5

Just remember, the time frame between Diamondback and Banshee was 5 years, what you guys are predicting is a 3 year cycle for large coasters. I just honestly cannot see Kings Island purchasing a large coaster like a Giga for 2017. It would make the skyline to the right of Kings Island look packed and it would feel awkward sitting next to another B&M coaster. Sorry folks, but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid, I just can't side with this. 

Some think it will be a woodie or possibly a flume ride of some sort. And there are times in various parks history where they broke their normal schedules and added coasters "early" or far more rapidly than typical. It doesn't necessarily mean we will get a new one every 3 years from now on. As an example Kings Dominion got its Flight of Fear in 1996 and Volcano in 1998. Then added Hypersonic XLC in 2001.

• Like 7

The Kings Mill Log Flume opened with the park in 1972.  It later became the Wild Thornberries Safariventure before becoming Race For Your Life Much-Too-Long-Of-A-Log-Flume-Name.  I cannot imagine that a nearly 45 year old log flume is very "cost effective" to maintain at this point.

Personally, I feel like Wing and Giga are the top 2 candidates.  But if they build anything other than a Giga, I think the reaction will be, "Why didn't they build a Giga?  That would have been a great fit for Kings Island."

• Like 2

Enough of this "it would look weird" or "2 coasters can't be next to each other". That is fanboy crazy talk. Geez, you act like they need to use feng shui or something. If they put a coaster in there, just enjoy the thing. A true enthusiast will ride anything, not caring what it looks like, where it's located. They will come to ride it. Mic drop.......

• Like 17

Makes better sense now. I was thinking I missed seeing it being full.

I do think it would be nice to have the bottom concreted. As you said, fresh water.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

I'm a civil engineer with a focus in storm water quality and I know some about water treatment in general. I don't know anything about the inner workings of WWC so what I'm about to say may be completely off base, and I would never want to use my background to sound like a know-it-all.

My guess is that the pond not only collects water runoff from the area but also acts as a treatment pond. Most runoff from a wooded area is relatively clean to begin with but sitting in a pond helps even more, with most sediment and pollutants dropping to the bottom floor. If they are pulling water from the top, it would be very clean to begin with. Adding a concrete bottom would do very little to further clean the water and would be covered with sediment in a few months anyway. The park likely drains the pond every year and pulls the collected sediment out of the bottom to make room for more the following year.

I'm also guessing that once WWC pulls this water from the pond there is another filter or screen (or series of filters) that further clean the water before being sprayed or splashed onto us, the giggling public.

Again, I know nothing specifically about how WWC works but we can all rest assured they are using clean water to drench us.

• Like 12

Hello, i just joined, but have been reading through these pages for some time. What if it is a flume ride, which would explain the select trees being cut down, in what appears to be straight lines, could explain the rumors of rfylcb going away, and could possibly explain why the reservoir WWC has been drained (preparations for another ride using water from the same reservoir)  

• Like 2

Hello, i just joined, but have been reading through these pages for some time. What if it is a flume ride, which would explain the select trees being cut down, in what appears to be straight lines, could explain the rumors of rfylcb going away, and could possibly explain why the reservoir WWC has been drained (preparations for another ride using water from the same reservoir)  

Welcome to KIC!

• Like 6

I'm a civil engineer with a focus in storm water quality and I know some about water treatment in general. I don't know anything about the inner workings of WWC so what I'm about to say may be completely off base, and I would never want to use my background to sound like a know-it-all.

My guess is that the pond not only collects water runoff from the area but also acts as a treatment pond. Most runoff from a wooded area is relatively clean to begin with but sitting in a pond helps even more, with most sediment and pollutants dropping to the bottom floor. If they are pulling water from the top, it would be very clean to begin with. Adding a concrete bottom would do very little to further clean the water and would be covered with sediment in a few months anyway. The park likely drains the pond every year and pulls the collected sediment out of the bottom to make room for more the following year.

I'm also guessing that once WWC pulls this water from the pond there is another filter or screen (or series of filters) that further clean the water before being sprayed or splashed onto us, the giggling public.

Again, I know nothing specifically about how WWC works but we can all rest assured they are using clean water to drench us.

My father is a civil engineer as well, and has specifically designed treatment ponds before. So I have some knowledge from him on what is required from both the EPA, and the Health Department.

My idea on concrete bottom is not for the whole bottom of the reservoir, but specifically where the pump draw sits. Having that in concrete would make the water as clean as you could possibly get it.

Also considering how close to the Little Miami River the Park sits, they have to be very careful what quality the water is going into the river.

Appreciate the input though.

• Like 2

Welcome to KIC.

• Like 3

Thank you for your thorough response!!! I never understood the process. Having only seen the reservoir and the final section of the ride empty from the train, I would say that the ride is drawing water from the surface for use on the ride itself. If they were drawing sediments from the bottom, they would be deposited throughout the ride over the season as well, creating a massive cleanup every year and wear and tear on the ride. I guess my thoughts/feelings were that the water is pond water and during the season seems to stagnate at the further regions of the pond. Just appears yucky but probably isn't so bad. Also the thought of walking around smelling like a pond is annoying.

• Like 5

As you know, there are many, many factors that go into a timetable for new large attraction. The economy wasn't exactly booming in the period between the addition of Diamondback and Banshee. Parks will do what makes them money. Holiday World just flexed it's muscle last year, and it appears that at least some money that would have otherwise gone to KI is now going to Kentucky Kingdom. There are no hard-and-fast rules. If adding Coaster X next year helps the bottom line more than money spent in other parks or places, they'll do it.

• Like 15

Before Diamondback in 2009, KI got coasters in 2007, and 2005. Why do you suggest that 5 years is what the delay is supposed to be between coasters? If Cedar Fair says build a coaster, they are going to build a coaster. 

Enough of this "it would look weird" or "2 coasters can't be next to each other". That is fanboy crazy talk. Geez, you act like they need to use feng shui or something. If they put a coaster in there, just enjoy the thing. A true enthusiast will ride anything, not caring what it looks like, where it's located. They will come to ride it. Mic drop.......

And what about crowd flow and other logistical concerns? Are those not reasons to not build a giga there? Don't let what you want, get in the way of what makes sense. 

Might want to look into some non-slip gloves if you are having trouble holding that mic.....

• Like 7

Before Diamondback in 2009, KI got coasters in 2007, and 2005. Why do you suggest that 5 years is what the delay is supposed to be between coasters? If Cedar Fair says build a coaster, they are going to build a coaster. 

Backyard Trick Ride was a roughly $15 million-or-so dollar attraction from one management company, and Red Hot Robin was a ride relocation which cost I believe $12 million from another (someone correct me on those figures). Diamondback alone had a price tag of both prior rides combined.

Yes, Cedar Point has a three-year gap between Gatekeeper and Valravn. Cedar Point is also the flagship of the company, so of course their idea of a "proper cycle" is considered moot (especially after the six-year drought between Maverick and Gatekeeper) and they can basically add a coaster whenever they please.

• Like 2

As you know there are many, many factors that go into a timetable for new large attraction. The economy wasn't exactly booming in the period between the addition of Diamondback and Banshee. Parks will do what makes them money. Holiday World just flexed it's muscle last year, and it appears that at least some money that would have otherwise gone to KI is now going to Kentucky Kingdom. There are no hard-and-fast rules. If adding Coaster X next year helps the bottom line more than money spent in other parks or places they'll do it.

I'll just quote these two posts, fryoj you're not being left out so let's run through this. I am not a fan boy of the park itself, trust me I have seen much worse at the parks and on forums. I am looking at the same area in question, and I just don't see a Giga going in. I simply do not see it, let alone how Kings Island, along with other Cedar Fair parks have an admiration for their skylines. I just really don't like the idea of having a Giga then a Hyper right next to it, I would see it more or less in the back. I know Cedar Fair can do anything, but you forgot to look at what I was discussing in general. A LARGE coaster in River Town is what I am discussing, I just can't see Kings Island having an huge coaster like that. I can possibly at the max see a Blitz coaster model, maybe a small Wing coaster. But do I see that? No, in fact I would much rather see a Green Intamin coaster being spotted on site  before we get anything huge. I can see a log flume, as personally after the removal of the large flume, KK, Kings Island could use it. Think about it folks, certain trees are taken out, and if it was a Giga I would think there would be much more removal. A flume would fit perfectly, making RiverTown true to it's name with water attractions and it would fit with the whole falling trees deal. I just really do not get this Giganaut for River Town that has sparked on the forums. I must be missing something because I just don't see it happening, I can see it in other places, but not here.

*(And before someone goes and states "oh well you're BB1 and you are a Boomerang Bay fan boy!". I'm not, I like what I like, but I'm not a fan boy.)

• Like 7

Honestly, right now this site is being divided by people who want a giga, and those who don't. 

Just because other parks are getting one doesn't mean we're getting one.

Just because other parks are getting a coaster above their entrance doesn't mean we're getting one.

Just because other parks are doing other things doesn't mean we are getting one.

The park decides, as well as the company, upon what we're getting. We could see a Intamin roller coaster go in. Maybe Cedar Fair would try again with Intamin.

• Like 14