Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

So, thinking outside the box. (Not saying this is what is actually what's going on) but what if this is just one big diverse and what we are getting next year is going to be in another section of the park? Like maybe a section that might be over due for a new ride that has some cleared land available?

• Like 1

The 5 year thing most likely comes from the info a while back that the park uses a 5 year plan.

But the 5 year plan is always 5 years out. So some forget that the 2016 plan prob started in 2011, 2017 in 2012, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hey guys look at theach area behind Firehawk. If you start there and jump over into were the SoB rose bowl was you could put a sizable ride in without taking out a lot of trees and you have some a of the hills there. So what if all of this is just to through us off from what's they really have planned. It's been said multiple times on here that Don is the kind of PR person to do something like this!

• Like 3

What I want it to be: A Wing Coaster soaring among the trees. I'd love to see one come to Kings Island at some point.

What I think it will be: At this point, I'm kinda starting to lean towards a Dive Coaster. Valravn is getting so much hype and I wouldn't be surprised if they had planned in advance to bring Dive Coasters to a couple other Cedar Fair parks. Kind of like how the Amusement Dark projects will eventually at each park.

What I've ruled out: Nothing. Anything is possible, there's a first time for everything, things that happened in the past won't necessarily follow the same pattern in the future, etc.

What I know: Absolutely nothing. :P

• Like 7

Just remember, the time frame between Diamondback and Banshee was 5 years, what you guys are predicting is a 3 year cycle for large coasters. I just honestly cannot see Kings Island purchasing a large coaster like a Giga for 2017. It would make the skyline to the right of Kings Island look packed and it would feel awkward sitting next to another B&M coaster. Sorry folks, but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid, I just can't side with this. 

Before Diamondback in 2009, KI got coasters in 2007, and 2005. Why do you suggest that 5 years is what the delay is supposed to be between coasters? If Cedar Fair says build a coaster, they are going to build a coaster. 

Backyard Trick Ride was a roughly $15 million-or-so dollar attraction from one management company, and Red Hot Robin was a ride relocation which cost I believe $12 million from another (someone correct me on those figures). Diamondback alone had a price tag of both prior rides combined.

Yes, Cedar Point has a three-year gap between Gatekeeper and Valravn. Cedar Point is also the flagship of the company, so of course their idea of a "proper cycle" is considered moot (especially after the six-year drought between Maverick and Gatekeeper) and they can basically add a coaster whenever they please.

Diamondback was $22 million. Banshee was $24 million. I'm not saying this is going to be a $30 million dollar B&M giga or anything. It could be a $15 million dollar woody or other coaster. Hell they could be relocating Dinosaurs Alive to make room for the giga...... (that actually makes some sense strangely), but you can't use history as a determining factor on whats going to happen in the future.

I'll just quote these two posts, fryoj you're not being left out so let's run through this. I am not a fan boy of the park itself, trust me I have seen much worse at the parks and on forums. I am looking at the same area in question, and I just don't see a Giga going in. I simply do not see it, let alone how Kings Island, along with other Cedar Fair parks have an admiration for their skylines. I just really don't like the idea of having a Giga then a Hyper right next to it, I would see it more or less in the back. I know Cedar Fair can do anything, but you forgot to look at what I was discussing in general. A LARGE coaster in River Town is what I am discussing, I just can't see Kings Island having an huge coaster like that. I can possibly at the max see a Blitz coaster model, maybe a small Wing coaster. But do I see that? No, in fact I would much rather see a Green Intamin coaster being spotted on site  before we get anything huge. I can see a log flume, as personally after the removal of the large flume, KK, Kings Island could use it. Think about it folks, certain trees are taken out, and if it was a Giga I would think there would be much more removal. A flume would fit perfectly, making RiverTown true to it's name with water attractions and it would fit with the whole falling trees deal. I just really do not get this Giganaut for River Town that has sparked on the forums. I must be missing something because I just don't see it happening, I can see it in other places, but not here.

*(And before someone goes and states "oh well you're BB1 and you are a Boomerang Bay fan boy!". I'm not, I like what I like, but I'm not a fan boy.)

I personally don't think it's a giga for a lot of reasons. I'd say I'm 80-90% sure it's not a giga.  I'm not sold that its even a coaster, but I think it certainly could be. 

The 5 year thing most likely comes from the info a while back that the park uses a 5 year plan.

But the 5 year plan is always 5 years out. So some forget that the 2016 plan prob started in 2011, 2017 in 2012, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, 5 year plans just means they plan 5 years out. It doesn't mean that every 5 years you have coaster,flat, water ride, general improvements, kids ride, and keep cycling through in order. It could mean a coaster every year for 5 years or no coasters in that time. It just means you plan 5 years out what you are going to do. 

• Like 4

The water for WWC is not drawn from the reservoir at all. The water naturally spills over into the lower portion of the ride via a small canal connected to the reservoir. (I once had my boat stuck in the canal and a ride operator had to use a long pole to push the boat back into queue just before the lift hill.) Pumps mounted on the top of the ride under the crows nest draw water from the basin below the lift hill. The reservoir is a holding tank during nightly shutdown when the pumps are switched off and water, through gravity, flows to the base of the ride until the pumps are switched back on. If the ride is ever randomly closed the usual culprit is a pump had failed and doesn't allow enough water to travel in the trough to allow for safe operation.

• Like 3

The water for WWC is not drawn from the reservoir at all. The water naturally spills over into the lower portion of the ride via a small canal connected to the reservoir. (I once had my boat stuck in the canal and a ride operator had to use a long pole to push the boat back into queue just before the lift hill.) Pumps mounted on the top of the ride under the crows nest draw water from the basin below the lift hill. The reservoir is a holding tank during nightly shutdown when the pumps are switched off and water, through gravity, flows to the base of the ride until the pumps are switched back on. If the ride is ever randomly closed the usual culprit is a pump had failed and doesn't allow enough water to travel in the trough to allow for safe operation.

Thanks for the info. Those in the know have much better info than those who make educational guesses!

• Like 4

That's what I was thinking also. Most of the other parks appear to be getting major attractions on anniversary years.

Fury 325 was Carowinds 38th anniversary.

The last coaster at Cedar Point that opened on a 5 or 10 anniversary was MF. Unless you count Rougarou.

Leviathan was on CW's 31st anniversary. 

KD's intimidator did open on the 35th anniversary, but for the 40th, they got Soak City and lost shockwave. 

So unless you count every year as an anniversary year...

• Like 14

That's what I was thinking also. Most of the other parks appear to be getting major attractions on anniversary years.

The last coaster at Cedar Point that opened on a 5 or 10 anniversary was MF. Unless you count Rougarou.

KD's intimidator did open on the 35th anniversary, but for the 40th, they got Soak City and lost shockwave.

Um M8 KI is getting a 1000 foot 226 mph mega extreme B&M for its 45.67537th anniversary. Don't deny the obvious!!!
  • Like 6

Oh right. Forgot about that. Been all winter.

Sent from an Indestructible Phone

• Like 1

Um M8 KI is getting a 1000 foot 226 mph mega extreme B&M for its 45.67537th anniversary. Don't deny the obvious!!!

I'll ride it, but I'm not sitting in the front seat!

• Like 6

I hate to be "that guy", but out of respect for my home park, it was the 42nd anniversary. :P

Honestly, right now this site is being divided by people who want a giga, and those who don't. 

Just because other parks are getting one doesn't mean we're getting one.

Just because other parks are getting a coaster above their entrance doesn't mean we're getting one.

Just because other parks are doing other things doesn't mean we are getting one.

The park decides, as well as the company, upon what we're getting. We could see a Intamin roller coaster go in. Maybe Cedar Fair would try again with Intamin.

I was with you until you said Intamin.
  • Like 3

Oh come on! You should really try being "That Guy."

A wing coaster might be possible, but in my opinion, it should be similar to Thunderbird. However, it could interact in a unique way with the terrain. KI certainly has a higher budget than Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom, but this new competition might cause them to step up their game.

I think we need another teaser.

• Like 7

I hate to be "that guy", but out of respect for my home park, it was the 42nd anniversary. :P

But it didn't look a day over 38? 

I'd blame wiki, but I just mis-added I guess. The thought still holds though, they aren't building anything specifically on anniversary years. 

• Like 5

Oh come on! You should really try being "That Guy."

A wing coaster might be possible, but in my opinion, it should be similar to Thunderbird. However, it could interact in a unique way with the terrain. KI certainly has a higher budget than Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom, but this new competition might cause them to step up their game.

I think we need another teaser.

I completely agree. KK and HW have both been drawing away at least some of KI's park goers with their new rides and KI, although they just got Banshee a few years back, need a new ride, most likely a coaster, to respond. Most everyone here is saying they want this coaster or that coaster isn't coming because of (reason). Let's be honest, whatever the attraction is, whether it be a log flume, a flat, a giga, or whatever else, the majority of people here will ride it. I trust KI is going to put in what they think is best to the park.

Now on the topic of the actual ride, who says that work isn't going on somewhere else? Coney Mall needs more people and would be the best place for a new ride. Who says the entrance to the ride won't be there. They have that whole dinosaur theatre are to work with, and it could be done pretty inconspicuously. As someone said, maybe they are doing all that stuff around Rivertown to revamp the train. Maybe the trees are being marked and cut down for a different reason. Or maybe this is all wrong and they are doing what most people are speculating about and building an attraction where the teasers are. Whatever it is, the people at KI know what they are doing. There are bunch of complaints about location, etc. We must remember, the people in charge are professionals. They have everything under control.

• Like 5

And I had mentioned about room behind Firehawk and not having to do much clearing to get to what use to be the rosebowl area oder SoB. This would allow an expansion of xbase that hasn't seen a new ride since Firehawk

The only reason I wouldn't think it would be there is because that place is already mobbed with people. Why add another attraction when it already has trouble keeping up with the crowd?

• Like 1

Hey! I've been hiding in the shadows for a while, but here I am!

I, personally, think that chances are greatest that this will be a coaster. What type, I don't have much of a guess. Aside from odds, my top picks (currently) for what this attraction will be, based on personal preference, are as follows:

• Log Flume. Whether the old flume stays or goes, I would love to see a highly themed/scenic log flume come to Rivertown. Otherwise, whether they use a great deal of theming or not, a longer, more interesting/exciting log flume (perhaps even including more than one drop) sounds like a great way to traverse the woods of Rivertown.
  • Wooden Coaster. Yes, The Beast is close to this location, but it seems to me like a woodie would "feel" right in this location. I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread that a woodie could fit the theme of the area well. Besides, woodies just have a certain charm to them, do they not? Also, I think it would be fun to have a woodie that makes use of some modern woodie elements. (See, Outlaw Run)
  • Dark Ride. I think this is probably the least likely given the placement of markings, etc., as has been pointed out regarding flat rides and a dark ride, if I'm not mistaken. I think Rivertown has the potential to provide a good environment in which to set a dark ride, but I don't think this attraction will be a dark (or, not entirely a dark--I could, perhaps, more easily see a log flume or coaster that is partially enclosed, providing an indoor/outdoor themed experience.)
  • Like 4

All the talk on the Anniversary Stuff.....remember 40th Anniversary we got Soak City.

But again I'll say, what has happened in the past doesn't mean that it'll happen in the present/future.

I would think it's just a matter of timing. If they are in the right position to do something big on an anniversary then they might plan it that way but won't go through much trouble/expense just because it is an anniversary.

• Like 1