Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

It has been a while since I posted.  I see so many people hoping for Winged or Dive coasters as well as wooden and Giga.  I would like a giga since they are far more intense.  Winged and Dive coasters really do not do much for me.  I do love wooden coasters though.  

• Like 1

The complaints I see about Vortex boil down to "it hurt me and I want it gone."  Nonetheless, it is a great ride for those who can still ride it.  It also has great capacity and probably is not onerous to maintain.  There are plenty of Arrow loopers that are 10 years older than Vortex that are still going strong. 

I can't say the same about RFYLCB.  We have seen a lot of other parks take out their old arrow log flumes.  I love the old log flume for nostalgia's sake, but I still never make it over there to ride it.  My kids would much rather go on Congo Falls or WWC and I would feel a little strange sitting in a log by myself or with some stranger between my legs.  If they take out RFYLCB and Peanuts Playhouse, it looks like they have a clear shot from the mystery fence to an underutilized portion of the parking lot to put in a giga.

Kings Island doesn't know what to do with Peanuts Playhouse.  I don't even know if little kids get excited about the oddly placed petting zoo.  It is closed every time I have ever meandered by it.  Peanuts Playhouse was planned when people still thought it was cool to get slime dumped on themselves.  Paramount may have been able to do something with it, but it doesn't fit the Cedar Fair era.  

• Like 5

The complaints I see about Vortex boil down to "it hurt me and I want it gone." Nonetheless, it is a great ride for those who can still ride it. It also has great capacity and probably is not onerous to maintain. There are plenty of Arrow loopers that are 10 years older than Vortex that are still going strong.

I can't say the same about RFYLCB. We have seen a lot of other parks take out their old arrow log flumes. I love the old log flume for nostalgia's sake, but I still never make it over there to ride it. My kids would much rather go on Congo Falls or WWC and I would feel a little strange sitting in a log by myself or with some stranger between my legs. If they take out RFYLCB and Peanuts Playhouse, it looks like they have a clear shot from the mystery fence to an underutilized portion of the parking lot to put in a giga.

Kings Island doesn't know what to do with Peanuts Playhouse. I don't even know if little kids get excited about the oddly placed petting zoo. It is closed every time I have ever meandered by it. Peanuts Playhouse was planned when people still thought it was cool to get slime dumped on themselves. Paramount may have been able to do something with it, but it doesn't fit the Cedar Fair era.

I've ridden RFYLCB solo a few times (I'm 31), and you might feel a little awkward at first the first time but it goes away pretty quickly. I've learned to not care what other people might think, lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Why do people hate Vortex so much? I'll admit, I haven't been to KI yet (I will go in about a month though), but if Vortex is anything like Anaconda at Kings Dominion than I think it's a great ride.

Just heed this advice: keep your head out!

Edit: Credit goes to Rhyano for providing me with that advice. :) Works great for Anaconda at least.

• Like 3

When I went on Banshee on Preview Night, it was the roughest ride we had ridden. And we rode FOF, Beast, Adventure Express even. So it's honestly not a smooth ride at all...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Its ridiculous a 2 year old b&m is rough already.

I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about, Fury is the same way if you keep your head on the restraint, I got a huge headache but i never get a headache on Banshee  :/ 

I honestly feel like we're getting a giga coaster. I think they have more than enough land, and I was pretty disappointed with Banshee, so I hope this is a giga. I'm not saying I didn't like Banshee, but it's not my favorite because I like rides with big drops. There's a lot of room behind Banshee, so maybe it could travel all the way over there before it comes back. Maybe this will be the worlds longest giga coaster?!?

I honestly feel like we're getting a giga coaster. I think they have more than enough land, and I was pretty disappointed with Banshee, so I hope this is a giga. I'm not saying I didn't like Banshee, but it's not my favorite because I like rides with big drops. There's a lot of room behind Banshee, so maybe it could travel all the way over there before it comes back. Maybe this will be the worlds longest giga coaster?!?

The current coaster with that record is Steel Dragon 2000 @ Nagashima Spa Land in Japan, which is over 8,000 ft long and, is in fact, the longest coaster in the world of any type.  No way that's going to happen. 

• Like 3

The current coaster with that record is Steel Dragon 2000 @ Nagashima Spa Land in Japan, which is over 8,000 ft long and, is in fact, the longest coaster in the world of any type.  No way that's going to happen. 

And also has a height restriction of 6'1, which I unfortunately found out while I was in Japan in line

Bat parks on the lift hill because the anti-rollbacks will act as brakes for the coaster. I know when I worked at Adventure Express they usually stopped one on the lift and one in the station and chocked the track at the front of the station. I'm not sure if Vortex is the same as I never went to that side of the park.

Vortex was parked with one on the lift hill, one in the station chocked and one in the brake run chocked.

Arrow brakes use an "air bag" to compress the brakes, sometimes those bags will have a leak or rupture which causes the brakes to open.

This is why Arrow trains need to be chocked, so that they don't move in the event of a brake failure overnight, which has happened and led to some bumps.

Most rollercoasters of that era have the brakes closed and use air pressure to open them.  I'm not sure why Arrow was the opposite.

• Like 4

Just read through about 28 pages here and I am liking everyone's ideas. Whatever goes in there it should be fun. Take it easy on people's ideas even if they propose something like green intamin track heading to the park! There are very few people that actually know what is going in there and they will not be speaking until the designated announcement date. Just remember it's fun to speculate because it's fun to dream of what could be going in back there. So dream big or small but what ever you do have fun.

• Like 10

Is that the one that used to be right near the entrance to BLSC's queue?  If so, I wonder what took them so long to move it, as it was just in a rather "odd" place to me, and the only real business it likely got was for those entering BLSC, and that would depend on the line being at least 20+ minutes.

• Like 2

I don't know how anyone can be disappointed, an invert would have filled the line up way more than a giga ever would, it's great that the park cares what would fill their line up, just look at Valravn

• Like 3

Still one of my favorites! I dont find to be any more of a rough experience as Maverick at Cedar Point

When was the last time you rode Maverick? I consider it one of the smoothest and Vortex the roughest. Only ridden Mav with new restraints

Maverick rides very smooth, as does Vortex, wouldn't you know it.. However, the transitions are the problem with both rides. Vortex has very jerky transitions and causes a lot of people to slam their head on the restraints.. Maverick has GREATLY improved since the new restraints.. but it's still a nuisance and can still leave people with headaches. Their transitions are smooth and don't "pop" into each flip.. but they do so very quickly and with what feels like too low of a heartline.. 

I always brace for Maverick's twists so I don't get hurt, especially at the end. I always brace for Vortex's transitions, especially right before the loops, and right before the MCBR.

• Like 3